SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I need a car/truck gun
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a car/truck gun Login/Join 
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted
Hello everyone-
I am in need of a pistol that I can leave in my truck. I prefer .40/.357Sig if possible. I am thinking something cheaper and something that I won't be upset about losing or misplacing.
Any suggestions? I am thinking of getting another 2022 but I really don't need a rail.

Any suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: qxsoup,

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
LEO trade in Glock 22. I’ve seen them for less than $300

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I keep P239's chambered in 357 Sig in my truck and our car. Perfect size, no rail/tail and I'm a good shot with these pistols. One has a Crimson trace laser, the other G10 grips that aren't too bad when the temps are in the single digits. Only 8 rounds, but how many do you need?

The plane has a GP100 stored with the emergency equipment next to the ELT.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
NIB S&W SD9VE/SD40VEs are going for around $250 currently in my area.
Academy has them for $289 everyday, but they can be had cheaper with minimal effort.
Toss in a $20 Apex trigger kit and you actually have a damn decent pistol that won't break the bank.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Hello everyone-
I am in need of a pistol that I can leave in my truck. I prefer .40/.357Sig if possible. I am thinking something cheaper and something that I won't be upset about losing or misplacing.
Any suggestions? I am thinking of getting another 2022 but I really don't need a rail.

Any suggestions?

You need to re-think what you are doing.

Your car is not a holster. Carry your gun and don’t leave guns in a car overnight. If you have times / places you can’t carry your gun during the course of the day you need a lock box attached /chained/ cabled to the vehicle. If you need a gun you will likely need it “right now” the odds are you will not have the time or opportunity to receive a gun from the car.

Something won’t be upset “losing or misplacing” meaning you want something cheap so you won’t be out too much money when (not if) it is stolen. The problem with this is money is the least of the consequences. How about the innocent person shot, robbed, raped or killed using your “expendable” gun ?

I have seen it too many times. Car /truck guns are THE number one source of crime guns in my experience. Full time car / truck guns are lazy, irresponsible and make gun owners look bad.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am thinking something cheaper and something that I won't be upset about losing or misplacing.

Any suggestions?

First, the suggestion of a LEO trade in G22 is a good one.

Second, this is a terrible mindset to have.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
quote:
Hello everyone-

Any suggestions?

You need to re-think what you are doing.

Your car is not a holster. Carry your gun and don’t leave guns in a car overnight. If you have times / places you can’t carry your gun during the course of the day you need a lock box attached /chained/ cabled to the vehicle. If you need a gun you will likely need it “right now” the odds are you will not have the time or opportunity to receive a gun from the car.

Something won’t be upset “losing or misplacing” meaning you want something cheap so you won’t be out too much money when (not if) it is stolen. The problem with this is money is the least of the consequences. How about the innocent person shot, robbed, raped or killed using your “expendable” gun ?

I have seen it too many times. Car /truck guns are THE number one source of crime guns in my experience. Full time car / truck guns are lazy, irresponsible and make gun owners look bad.

Some of us have situations that might differ from yours. For example I work in emergency medicine, I can’t carry at work plus I wear scrubs. Sometimes low lives wait for us by our cars and or follow us out or follow us home. We even had a female doc walk out after a night shift to find a bullet hole in her fender. When you deny addicts drugs they don’t take it well. So my options are be completely defenseless or keep a gun in each of my vehicles easily accessible. If someone STEALS a gun from my car and shoots someone else with it it’s on him not me. The same as if someone steals a gun from your home. If someone steals your car and runs over a pedestrian with it are you going to blame yourself?

As to the OP I keep two inexpensive guns in my car, both are Taurus 709 9mm guns I paid roughly $170 for each. The reason I picked these are because they are generally reliable and easy to shoot accurately. Keltec PF-9’s would do the trick as well for roughly the same cost. They are pocketable so if I need to throw them in a pocket and use them as a carry gun I can. I keep them in remora holsters. If you want to step it up a bit you can get S&W shields in both 9mm and 40 for $249 online right now.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
A Ruger American or a S&W SD9VE would be good examples of inexpensive guns that are reliable and easy to operate.

But I agree with the comment about not leaving guns in cars. I read the crime reports in my local town of 24,000 people -- the most common crime is people rousting around through other people's cars for anything that has value. (I suspect only one incident in 10 of this type is reported, yet we see numerous official reports each week).

Another data point: Police in Atlanta reported 954 guns stolen from cars in that city last year. (Again, many more instances probably go unreported).

As gun owners, we have a responsibility to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and would-be criminals like teenagers. There may be some cases where a gun has to be stored in a car, but it should be really/really well hidden and preferably locked into a case of some type.

I can't buy this statement: "If someone STEALS a gun from my car and shoots someone else with it it’s on him not me." If someone steals a gun from my car, it isn't like it was an accident or something random. I would have contributed to that outcome, just like if I left a hand grenade at the playground. That outcome can be prevented, and so it should be.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Eh, a gun's not a magic wand. Sure, you should be careful about them, same as anything else of value, but it doesn't make a killer/rapist/thug do the things they do.

Its just a tool. This seems very similar to the mindset that assault rifles cause mass shootings.

Criminals smuggle hundreds of thousands of tons of narcotics into the US, every year, and distribute them to every town in the country.

If they can do that, they'll bring in any weapons they want.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoverSig:

I can't buy this statement: "If someone STEALS a gun from my car and shoots someone else with it it’s on him not me." If someone steals a gun from my car, it isn't like it was an accident or something random. I would have contributed to that outcome, just like if I left a hand grenade at the playground. That outcome can be prevented, and so it should be.

I'm in this boat as well. Saying "it's not my problem..." isn't exactly true. Heck, they could even steal your gun and use it against you, returning to your vehicle moments later. Plus, the way we're headed in many states, you most likely could be held accountable at some point. The only two exceptions I'm partially ok with are guns in your vehicles on YOUR land (like a ranch or something) or those that are locked in the securely mounted gun safes inside vehicles. Just leaving them loose in the door, center console, wherever is not being responsible. Just my two cents...

As to the type of gun, I'd actually lean towards a revolver. No mags to pop loose or trigger issues to really worry about, as the rig bumps on down the highway.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
quote:
Hello everyone-

Any suggestions?

In my experience car/truck guns are the last numbered source of crime guns. But then again I have no experience. Consequently, like your experience, it only reflects you. Like others state, circumstances differ so if a car/truck gun isn't for you then that's okay. Others may feel the need.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello everyone-

Any suggestions?

With the handgun secured in a "lock Box" firmly bolted to the vehicle, I hope.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My car gun is my old gen3 Glock 33. It works with the spare Glock 31 mags I have in the car. My EDC is a Glock 32.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
HK USP Compact 40 / reasonably priced used nowadays and doesn't get any more reliable...good luck with your search

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. First by lost/misplaced I don't mean actually losing the damn thing. If I forget it in the truck or if I lose a mag or something.

I cannot carry at my work at all and I WILL not be leaving it in my truck for extended periods of time unattended. I am just looking for something that I really have no attachment to.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
LEO trade in Glock 22. I’ve seen them for less than $300

For example,
https://www.gtdist.com/product...s/used-handguns.html

and P320C in .40 for $309.
https://www.gunsmidwest.com/798681523160.html

In my area, metal frame pistols, hammer-fired, and .40S&W have all fallen well out of favor to polymer, striker, and 9mm. I've seen used P229s in .40 in good shape priced just over $300.

1911s in .45ACP of course are an exception and will always have a following.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I understand the OP's idea...but have to concur with the others here that keeping a gun in your car is a bad idea. I'm an LEO here in Commiefornia...amd LEO's aren't exempt to this kind of trouble. It's a crime to leave a gun in your car where it can be readily stolen...locked boxes or safes are required. I have seen a lot of teletypes of LEO's having a gun stolen from their car...and it's just not worth it. I have a gun vault that is bolted to my car frame, and I still will not store a gun there for anything less than temporary short spans of time.

We as gun owners are in the unenviable position in this current climate of being the "bad guy" as far as the media, politicians, and activists. We need to be demonstrating what responsible gun ownership is to continually dispel the myths out there. Whenever we are haphazard with our guns / safety it ends up hurting all of us.

For the OP, I would suggest a couple of ideas:

First, if you mean to keep the gun temporally in your car, get a robust gun safe that bolts to the frame. Keep the gun in there only for as long as necessary, and if the area you leave your car unattended is a bad one...leave the gun at home or take it with you.

Second...and I may take some flak for this one...in your scrubs situation if you can get a locker inside your facility use a fanny pack for the short distance from your car to the building, then secure it in the locker. (assuming you have a CCW). I know the fanny pack wasn't even cool in the 1990's when I carried a gun in one, but they are utilitarian...

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Ok sorry missed the OP’s later post.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
A truck gun ?!?
Well sir, if you have a ring mount I have a suggestion!!!

Wink

Seriously though is it due to not having a CHL or carry permit?
Or just not wanting to have it on your body?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I hate to see these posts.
Just call it what it really is, a future crime gun.
Having the mindset that I won't care if it gets stolen is extreme irresponsibility.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post