SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grease or Oil - how do you lube your 1911
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grease or Oil - how do you lube your 1911 Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I don't want to start a lube war. This is a question for those who use grease at least on their SIGs.

I've been a proponent of grease (reference the post by Flork!) I'm a particular proponent of Slide Glide which Brian Enos uses on his guns which include 1911s. I've used it on everything, but especially on alloy frame guns.

My question is whether you use grease on some guns and oil on others depending on the type of gun and it's use? Do you lube combat or self defense guns differently, say with oil and target or range guns with grease? Grease only for alloy frames?

I had a custom build done by a gunsmith here. He has done two for me and done work on other guns of mine and he is always on me about the grease. He deals mostly with 1911s and is a minimalist when it comes to lube. A little dab of oil will do it, no more.

So, what do you do?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Eezox all over, and a little TW-25 on the rails and right where it locks up on the barrel hood.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Grease and oil on my SIGs and Glocks, light oil on my 1911s.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use grease, presently usually TW25. I lube rails, action (Sear, etc)' barrel link, etc. pivot points are good with a drop of oil, for which I use MPro7. I also put a light coat of grease on the barrel, smeared thin with my finger, ; barrel bushing. Mainspring contact points get grease, and a drop of oil in the trigger channel.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I use grease (Slip2000 EWG) on all of my pistols. Even my .22LR Beretta 87 Target, despite the fact that most folks use oil on their .22LR pistols.

I only use about 10% as much as Flork does though. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will answer because I used to grease my Sigs. I use oil on all my pistols regardless of type or intended use. Grease on M1, M1A.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
If it slides, it gets a very thin line of grease. If it rotates, it gets lightly oiled. I use M-Pro 7 products on all of my guns.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LimaCharlie:
If it slides, it gets a very thin line of grease. If it rotates, it gets lightly oiled.

QFT!

Good rule of thumb for all things, not just 1911's.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my Ed Brown I use Slide Glide Lite grease.
But on my Les Baer Boss I have to use oil because the slide to frame fit is so tight .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
sometimes grease, sometimes oil, sometimes grease and oil, sometimes just CLP...

I use what's handy. Never had an issue.

My 1911's are either full custom or semi customs. My Gray Guns 1911 is the tightest rail to frame fit I have ever seen (atta boy Roy!) on a gun and it doesn't seem to care what I use on it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't currently own any 1911s, but when I did I used grease on the frame/slide rails and the bushing/barrel mating area, oil everywhere else.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it really matters if you use grease or oil as long as the gun is lubed properly. To me, the advantage of grease is that it lasts longer since it doesn't run off or evaporate.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Both of my 1911s are Ed Browns and I use the light oil they recommend and provide. On most other guns I use a grease of some variety.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
MPRO7 7 sparingly on SR1911.
Use TW25 on SIG rails.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
MPRO7 sparingly on SR1911.
Use TW25 on SIG rails.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert, but I use oil on 1911's except for my S&W scandium frame 1911- it gets grease on the slide rails and barrel.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Generally the 1911's get oil, light oil at that.

I used grease due to Flork and Bruce Gray and it was just fine on my SIG 1911 and my Kimbers. I bought a couple of STIs and grease was a problem. Way too thick for how tight they are. My Dan Wesson VBOB is the same story. So oil for 1911's and wheel guns and grease for my SIGS.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I use weapon shield clp. maybe some grease on 229 rails.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
I use white Lithium grease on the frame rails, just a smear on each rail, and a drop of Slip 2000 on the slide rails.
Never had a jam, and the pistol is ran in local IDPA matches.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
DAN WESSON recommends FP10, impossible to find locally but AMAZON had it. So I use SLIDE GLIDE LITE on my C-BOB rails and FP10 everywhere else.

I just found a KIMBER Pro Carry II for a good deal. It was used, shot maybe one magazine and apparently without any lube. So I'll use the same combination on it.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good results using these two Geissele lubicants for the last year.

https://geissele.com/alg-go-juice-grease-4-oz.html

https://geissele.com/alg-go-juice-4-oz-bottle.html

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post