SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New line of Walther pistols released, the PDP series.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New line of Walther pistols released, the PDP series. Login/Join 
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I Marine woodburned my PPQ m2 grip into a very non slick grip. He did a great job.

I thought about doing that with mine but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe if I knew someone locally I trusted with that work, I'd go for it.

I really like the PPQ and own several but the stock grip texture is not optimal, at least for me.

I am not a fan of permanently modifying stock grips but I throw Talon grips on almost all my guns. Have you tried these?

https://talongungrips.com/gun-...r/ppq-for-m1-and-m2/
https://talongungrips.com/gun-...her/ppq-sub-compact/

I tried them on a different gun. It probably was my poor installation but they seemed less than durable.

I should give them another chance.

Yep, you really need to take your time and you can wrap and unwrap them until they are straight. Once they are on straight, you can press them down firmly and use a hair dryer or heat gun to seal them on more permanently.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I Marine woodburned my PPQ m2 grip into a very non slick grip. He did a great job.

I thought about doing that with mine but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe if I knew someone locally I trusted with that work, I'd go for it.

I really like the PPQ and own several but the stock grip texture is not optimal, at least for me.

I am not a fan of permanently modifying stock grips but I throw Talon grips on almost all my guns. Have you tried these?

https://talongungrips.com/gun-...r/ppq-for-m1-and-m2/
https://talongungrips.com/gun-...her/ppq-sub-compact/

I tried them on a different gun. It probably was my poor installation but they seemed less than durable.

I should give them another chance.

Yep, you really need to take your time and you can wrap and unwrap them until they are straight. Once they are on straight, you can press them down firmly and use a hair dryer or heat gun to seal them on more permanently.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'm on the fence about these. I really like my modern Walthers. I have several PPQs including a 4" 9mm, a .45 ACP, a polymer framed Q5 Match, a steel framed Q5 Match, and a PPS M2. They all handle and shoot well, but I like the idea of having the ability to put an optic on the PDP, something I can't do with the PPQ 9mm without sending it out for mods. My hesitation is in part due to the fact that it appears I'd have to buy new leather for the PDP, since the slide is so much wider than the earlier PPQ I have.

It's great that they use the same magazines, I like the ability to change out the sights for (already available) Trijicon HD HRs designed for Glocks, and the enhanced grips are also a plus IMHO. I'll probably check out the PDP Compact today if my LDS still has them in stock.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola: Don’t blame Walther for still making a 90 year old gun (PPK) and it not being as reliable as a modern one. If we stopped buying them they would quit making the PPK. Which they probably should.

Many years ago, when my son-in-law was graduating with a degree in Criminal Justice, I told him I'd buy him his first handgun. He wanted a PPK, and I got him one...Damn thing was totally unreliable...
Fortunately, he survived that and now...thirty yrs later, is a Police Chief and teaches the Firearms courses.
It didn't take him long to graduate to various Glocks, of course...since that was/is the standard cop firearm...
It's hard to knock the G19...no matter who you are...

Posts: 20 | Location: north-central Florida | Registered: February 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I’ll pass on these for now. According to this guy, the optic mounting system lacks support and it will break:

https://youtu.be/2cJRb8GodJ8

Posts: 399 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220CDAK:
I think I’ll pass on these for now. According to this guy, the optic mounting system lacks support and it will break:

More than a few people online who are early adopters of these pistols have also said, when using the correct optic adapter plates, there is no movement. So..., I guess we shall see. I can't believe something as important as this would get by Walther.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't believe something as important as this would get by Walther.

I like Walther and I am NOT insinuating there are any problems. I have no idea. That said the whole optics on handguns fad hit hard and fast and lots of folks sort of scrambled to put something out there to tap into the market so it’s not out of the question a product was rushed and it probably pays to see how they play out with a little time.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy:
quote:
Originally posted by 220CDAK:

More than a few people online who are early adopters of these pistols have also said, when using the correct optic adapter plates, there is no movement. So..., I guess we shall see. I can't believe something as important as this would get by Walther.

It is clickbait bullshit.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like more of a criticism of C&H plates. I use Forward Controls Design plates on Glocks, they are outstanding. My factory Q5 RMR/BUIS plate fits fine with good recoil lugs. I think the factory PDP plates have a round lug in the corner to match the hole in the slide.

And you know what? Put some blue loctite between the plate and the slide, and on the screw threads and that sucker isn't going to move.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Four page, almost three weeks since the original post, a bunch of opinions, and nobody shot one yet?

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
Four page, almost three weeks since the original post, a bunch of opinions, and nobody shot one yet?
Including you

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I suspect in more normal times we would have seen some forum members posting range reports by now.

My LGS is HUGE and I got the email that they had the new Walthers in stock but by the time I got there a few days later they were long gone, probably purchased my those looking to get a 9MM pistol other than the sparse selection of M&P Shields, Taurus, and assorted Turkish and other lesser known cheaper imports that had left. They also also sell you only a single box of 50 9MM ammo when you purchase a new firearm.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
Including you

Indeed. My interest in it barely rose to maybe reading about but certainly not to finding one to check out in action, or kvetchng about without doing so.

That said, a friend bought one, shot it for two short sessions, and bought two more after. A previous PPQ user which he dumped because of some ergonomic issues. So maybe there's something about it.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After several range sessions, I believe the PDP is the best out of the box striker pistol I have fired. I am looking forward to learning more about it over the next few weeks.

Comparing it to the PPQ and Q5, I like the beavertail area of the PDP much better, as after thousands of rounds the PPQ raised a large welt at the base of my thumb that took months of shooting something else to go away.

Since late summer I have been shooting a five inch M&P CORE with an Apex FSS trigger in weekly Carry Optics competition.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GJM AK:
After several range sessions, I believe the PDP is the best out of the box striker pistol I have fired.

I should have more accurately said “best shooting out of the box striker pistol I have fired.” Best shooting is obviously different than “best out of the box striker,” which will reflect a number of factors, of which shooting is just one factor.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
I suspect in more normal times we would have seen some forum members posting range reports by now.

My LGS is HUGE and I got the email that they had the new Walthers in stock but by the time I got there a few days later they were long gone, probably purchased my those looking to get a 9MM pistol other than the sparse selection of M&P Shields, Taurus, and assorted Turkish and other lesser known cheaper imports that had left. They also also sell you only a single box of 50 9MM ammo when you purchase a new firearm.

I agree with your points. These are not normal times.

I will end up getting a PDP at some point, primarily for the grip-texture, but I am set enough with my current guns that I don't see the need to participate in the initial feeding frenzy.

It's also not all stupid to hang back and see if any issues show up with the initial run of guns.

I would like a PDP, buy I do not NEED a PDP.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walther kind of lost me when they dropped the paddle mag release. Even if I bought a PDP, I’d never give up my P99AS or PPQ M1.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Walther kind of lost me when they dropped the paddle mag release. Even if I bought a PDP, I’d never give up my P99AS or PPQ M1.

I felt the same when Sig and HK moved away from the heel mag release. What it lacked in speed it made up for in complexity.