SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is there a "safe date" for P365 manufacture?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a "safe date" for P365 manufacture? Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
Every time I hear about a 365 issue it seems like it's a pre June build date. and I wonder how many run good high quality ammo thru it ? and not the dirty cheap wwb Walmart junk. good quality defense ammo is expensive, I for one dont go to the range and blast thru box after box of the expensive stuff.

Mine is Feb 21, 2018 manufacture. I cleaned and lubed it well before I intentionally ran 300 rds of "dirty cheap" 115gr and 124gr in White Box, PMC, Blazer Brass and 147gr Fiocchi through it. I wasn't concerned about accuracy as much as reliability. It was accurate in spite of me. Not a hiccup. Almost nodded off a couple of times during the first session it was so uneventful. I cleaned and lubed it and inspected for any obvious signs of pending issues. I shot another few hundred rds (2nd session) of the same lesser thought of ammunition and 50 rds of 147gr HST through it a couple of weeks later. Same story.

Will it eventually fail? It's man made so probably the same odds that our 2018 SUV might fail when I'm leaving the range.

If you shoot 5,000 rds through it and call it good to go, how does one know if it will not fail in some manner at 5,001 rds?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'd just like to get through 100-150 brass cased rounds of brass cased ammo without a failure to eject. I kept making trips to the range, hoping for that many trouble free rounds, but to no avail. I called SIG this morning, and they said they'd send a shipping label, though I've not received it yet. Otherwise, I find the gun very accurate, soft shooting, and the sights are perfectly "on".

Posts: 79 | Location: Wooster, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there is no "safe date" or any guarantee of function. Seems like 50/50 you get one that's flawless or has problems. Those aren't great odds.

Either way, you have a pistol with some degree of doubt built in, and you have to expend a few hundred or thousand rounds to assure yourself its ok. That's not good.

Yes, any pistol can fail, but honestly, you can pick up a Glock 19, put a few mags through it and carry it with confidence that its OK. The P365 seems like a problem with the fuse lit right from the box.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic: Seems like 50/50 you get one that's flawless or has problems. Those aren't great odds.

Based on what statistics?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic: Seems like 50/50 you get one that's flawless or has problems. Those aren't great odds.

Based on what statistics?

Probably based on reports here of people who own them, have shot a fair amount of rounds through them and reported issues. Some guys have not many rounds through them and already had FTE.

I suspect the issue isn't seen on a larger scale as outside of the gun community most people haven't put that many rounds through theirs, or don't consider 1 FTE every 50-100 rounds a big deal. I think it will be a time game for most people who dont shoot often.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I'm head for 3rd range trip tomorrow, to raise round count from around 225 by another 100 or so.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Update from 3rd range trip.

Now at 500 thru the tube. 6 different loads from 115 FMJ thru 147 lead.

No failures.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can pick up a Glock 19, put a few mags through it and carry it with confidence that its OK

Really? My department switched to the G23 a while back. I bought one but never carried it. I did shoot it at a charity match here years later. After a few strings, load and make ready resulted in the slide going forward and into the dirt. not uncommon for that handgun.

I have to laugh at some comments from those that never owned one. I'd love to see accurate numbers of those that actually failed. doubt anyone can provide them.

No issues with Glock? It's what a company does after something is found.

quote:
GLOCK
MODEL 19,
9MM LUGER CALIBER, PISTOL

WARNING: This make and model pistol may have the potential for an UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE of a cartridge with the action open.

The Glock, model 19 pistol slide has a bottom protrusion, whose function is to push cartridges from the top of the magazine into the chamber . When the pistol is jammed in a double feed situation, the slide protrusion can come in contact with the primer of the jammed cartridge and cause UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE while the action is open.

Glock, Inc.
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
(770) 432-1202

Source:

AFTE Journal, July 1993; Volume 25, Number 3:206-208

GLOCK
MODEL 19,
9MM LUGER CALIBER, PISTOL

WITH SERIAL NUMBER PREFIXS AN,BP,BR, BV, BW, BX, DL, DM, DN, DP, DR, DS, DT, DV, DW, DX, DY, & DZ.

WARNING: These pistol may have the potential of the action to malfunction as followings:

The slide locking back on a full magazine.
Failure to lock into battery because the barrel lug drags on the slide lock.
The magazine follower tips or sticks in the magazine tube.
Glock, Inc.
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
(770) 432-1202

Source:

AFTE Journal, April 1990; Volume 22, Number 2:227

GLOCK
SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOLS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 2001 AND MAY 2002 WITH SERIAL NUMBERS STARTING WITH “E”, “GSSF” OR “USA” REGARDLESS OF CALIBER

WARNING: Glock pistols manufactured between September 2001 and May 2002 with serial numbers starting with “E”, “GSSF” or “USA” regardless of caliber have experienced FRAME RAIL FAILURES.

The specific issue is the potential of breaking a rear frame rail. Glock notes that under most conditions the pistol will continue to function with three rails.

Glock, Inc. does not officially call this a recall, but an upgrade at no charge. The complete firearm should be returned to Glock for a replacement frames that will have the original serial number with a “1” prefix added to it.

If you believe you have a pistol affected by this notice contact Glock at (866) 225-4098.

MODEL 26
9MM CALIBER, SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL,
SERIAL NUMBER PREFIX DGU, DHR & DKU

MODEL 27
40 S&W CALIBER SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL
SERIAL NUMBER PREFIX DGD, DGV, DHS, DHT, DKV, DKW, & DKX

Recall: Mr. Don Bulver, warrant department, of Glock, Inc. indicated the recoil springs produced before September 1999 may shear off on some of these pistols due to over hardness of the support tube.

Replacement springs will be distinguished by a vertical mark from the center on the front polymer portion of outer ring of the guide rod assembly which will appear to be a mold line.

Glock
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
(770) 432-1202

Company Notice, February 21, 2000

Glock Announces Voluntary Recall.

Glock is voluntarily recalling and exchanging the recoil spring assembly on its Gen4 handguns shipped since August 2009. ... GLOCK's product development team has modified various elements of the RSA.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Wait a dang minute! That couldn't happen because Cohen era Sig is the only company that uses consumers as Beta testers. Glock gets it right the first time. Ummmmmmm......sure.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chazman1946
posted Hide Post
Mine has a born date of 28 June 2018, has anyone had any reports of these problems with the June issue of this pistol?

I now have 500 rounds through mine, just put two hundred through it yesterday, 3 boxes of American Eagle 147 grain FMJ and a 50 round box of Federal 147 grain HST, my carry ammo for 9mm.

Shot the majority of the rounds through the new 12 round mag I just picked up, not one hiccup.

Only complaint I have about his weapon is the sand paper finish grips, the pinky extension on the 12 round mag was actually irritating my pinky by the end of the shoot. I think a set of Talon grips are in order!

Weapon is surprisingly accurate, as this 10 yard target can testify to, pulled a few low left with recoil anticipation, but then it got dialed in.

Posts: 78 | Registered: July 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chazman1946:
Mine has a born date of 28 June 2018, has anyone had any reports of these problems with the June issue of this pistol?

I now have 500 rounds through mine, just put two hundred through it yesterday, 3 boxes of American Eagle 147 grain FMJ and a 50 round box of Federal 147 grain HST, my carry ammo for 9mm.

Shot the majority of the rounds through the new 12 round mag I just picked up, not one hiccup.

Only complaint I have about his weapon is the sand paper finish grips, the pinky extension on the 12 round mag was actually irritating my pinky by the end of the shoot. I think a set of Talon grips are in order!

Weapon is surprisingly accurate, as this 10 yard target can testify to, pulled a few low left with recoil anticipation, but then it got dialed in.

On another forum, an owner of a P365 with a June 17 build date reported that he suffered the "dead trigger" failure after around 140 rounds fired.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait a dang minute! That couldn't happen because Cohen era Sig is the only company that uses consumers as Beta testers.

The 365 was in testing phases for over two years .

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chazman1946:

If the texture on the 365 bothers you, then avoid at all costs, S&W's 2.0 series pistols. By comparison, those would probably sand blast your skin right off. Razz

I own a Shield .45 with the 2.0 texture. For me, shooting with it is great but it can be a tad annoying for CC while driving.

I believe SIG got the texture just perfect on the 365.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I was annoyed by the P365 grip texture at first. My hands sweat and with the grip so small, I was glad SIG did it that way after a few hundred rounds in each of my two range sessions with mine.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
Wait a dang minute! That couldn't happen because Cohen era Sig is the only company that uses consumers as Beta testers.

The 365 was in testing phases for over two years .

I was being sarcastic. I think there are some things that just don’t show up in factory testing. Problems can show up after thousands are in circulation with millions of rounds (many different loads) fired under all kinds of conditions. IMO, that’s a different thing entirely than “using consumers as testers”

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
At what point does "breaking in" become "wearing out" on a small pistol like this? I have no way of proving it, but I'd bet the overwhelming majority of P365 buyers (not on this board) will NEVER shoot even 1000 rounds. Their pistols will function exactly as they expect them to.

That's not an excuse for substandard parts, but the reality of the market in which Sig sells pistols.

I think that is a great point. I have not bought a P365 because I suffered through a P938. After two trips to the factory and one gun replacement, Sig was still doing rolling changes. I finally figured out how to baby the gun, but I never viewed it as a gun to shoot thousands of rounds per year for many years. When Glock introduced the 43, I dumped the Sig in favor of a gun I can treat like a full sized Glock. I may buy a P365 at some point, but only if I think it will remain reliable under sustained use. I am not ready to accept disposable guns unless the price point gets really attractive.

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
With all the drama regarding the 365 (which I can't recall this much over any other major mfg) I've given up on mine and listed it for sale on another site. 1450 rds and zero problems but my confidence is shaken and I won't carry it any longer, therefore its expendable.

Shame though as it really is a great gun. I'm trying to push myself into carrying something larger on a regular basis, like the HK P30 or a G19. However, that's pretty hard in AZ.

Posts: 461 | Location: AZ | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGIORD:
With all the drama regarding the 365 (which I can't recall this much over any other major mfg) I've given up on mine and listed it for sale on another site. 1450 rds and zero problems but my confidence is shaken and I won't carry it any longer, therefore its expendable.

Shame though as it really is a great gun. I'm trying to push myself into carrying something larger on a regular basis, like the HK P30 or a G19. However, that's pretty hard in AZ.

Interesting you say that. I sold my 365 that was problem free due to lack of confidence too. The primer drag is just wrong.

I went back to my 1911’s. I haven’t carried a 1911 since my back problem forced me to carry appendix. I carry either a CCO in .45 or a Dan Wesson ECO in 9mm with 2 extra mags (8 rounds each in the 45 mags and 10 rounds each in the 9mm).

It’s plenty of ammo, conceals perfectly and I can shoot the snot out of them.

I’m going back to bigger guns. I just feel I can fight with them so much better if I ever need to defend myself or family. Appendix with the thin short gripped 1911 is where it’s at for me.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I’m going back to bigger guns. I just feel I can fight with them so much better if I ever need to defend myself or family. Appendix with the thin short gripped 1911 is where it’s at for me.

I understand the need for small 9MM & 38SPL handguns - if you work in a professional environment, actually carry, and need to be uber discreet.

But outside of that need, it is relatively easy to carry a larger firearm in the G19 / P230C / HK P2000 M&P compact realm.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
I’ve looked into these reported issues in depth. Certainly, there were several issues which came up in the original production pistols, having to do with recoil spring rate tolerances, barrel clearance, and the striker vendor QA problem. Another weird thing came up having to do with the trigger bar spring, which has also been tweaked in production. Within the set of P365’s being shot, the relatively small number of strikers potentially affected by the breakage issue have either failed and been replaced, or been proven sound.

While surely dismaying to those with balky P365’s, the actual incidence of these various issues is much smaller than portrayed on the various online groups and forums. It’s my business to follow these things, and I have talked to my counterparts at SIG.

Yes, there were some issues which SIG has diligently corrected as efficiently as possible. There’s also been crap ammo, poor maintenance, and too many posts by malcontented obsessive-compulsive collector types who refuse to accept the practical limitations of this highly innovative microcompact, which despite it’s size punches reliably above it’s weight when used properly. The tiresome “Any pistol should be able to function reliably with the cheapest crap I can buy no matter how I shoot it” mentality is a real, legit issue here that I am calling out. The P365 is optimised for proper duty loads. It needs to be cleaned and lubricated properly. You need to use proper technique in firing it, mostky defined as hanging on to the damned thing. Those who accept these seemingly unreasonable limitations seem to do just fine.

In sny event, there is nothing about the P365 which in any way justifies selling off proven-reliable examples on the strength of Internet lore, trolling, exaggerations and outright bullshit alloyed with just enough verifiable truth to prompt SIG to make revisions, and give the SIG badhing malcontents out there more to complain about. For those with real issues among the great minority of owners, SIG has all the answers. My T&E gun from the second werk of production has has been fine.

My three cents...

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post