SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Optic on a EDC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optic on a EDC Login/Join 
posted
The placing of red dot optic sights on pistols seems to be all the rage right now. So how practical is an optic on a everyday carry pistol? How many use optics on their EDCs?

Posts: 139 | Registered: August 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't & won't on a pistol.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of building a Glock 19 with a RMR. I won't carry it until it can prove to be reliable enough. I've been shooting an RMR'd 17 almost exclusively for the past year and it has been reliable...until the red dot crapped out on me recently.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they are there from what I'm seeing. So long as you have backup irons. I wasn't going to be an early adopter, but the only thing holding me back now is $.

I've been running RDS on military M4s, followed by my own ARs since the late 90's. I'm totally sold on them as being far superior to irons for a fighting weapon.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying an optic on my EDC for quite awhile now. Currently its a G19 with an RMR. I now shoot better with the RMR in almost all conditions (for sure there is a learning curve) and I don't find carrying the gun with the optic causes any special issues. I use a bladetech IWB holster.
Honestly I can't find much, if any, downside and lots of upside.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're like me and your eyesight is beginning to deteriorate with age, it's very practical. I'm a much more accurate shooter with the optic, especially in transition and distance. Speed wise, a small learning curve but not much really to obtain the same/faster skill. Lastly form a cc perspective, I don't notice it at all.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it has suppressor height sites like the p320 rx Compact, I think it would be awesome

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
For me, changing to a fluorescent front night site has really speeded up my shots and accuracy and doesn't have the drawbacks of an optic on a carry gun.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
No thanks. Just night sights please. Next rage will be full illuminated crosshairs optic on top of a pistol. My view is light as possible for ccw.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Not for me. Not at this time, anyway. I wouldn't want the extra bulk. My goal, in EDC, is to carry as little firearm as (I think) I can get away with.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must be fairly reliable if the military uses them on battle rifles.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's such a big "NOPE!"

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not for me, yet. I'll stick with iron sights for serious purposes until pistol optics get a bit more advanced. Though I think we'll get there someday soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

Apples and oranges.

Rifle optics have been around for many decades. Pistol optics are still in their comparable infancy, and still aren't as rugged or reliable as rifle optics. (Partly a result of the necessities of miniaturization, and partly because they're constantly getting battered around on a rapidly moving slide.)

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

Apples and oranges.

Rifle optics have been around for many decades. Pistol optics are still in their comparable infancy, and still aren't as rugged, reliable, or effective as rifle optics.

Never mind pistol optics are sitting atop a slide that's cycling back-and-forth with fairly rapid deceleration at each end of the cycle.

More like apples:walnuts.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was curious and had an extra RMR so I bought a Glock 19 MOS slide. I tried it and wanted to like it, but have since went back to normal sights.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Phila Area | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find this conversation a bit funny. Its pretty much conclusive that using an optic is faster and more accurate.I've tens of thousands of rounds using an RMR so I'm not too concerned about reliability anymore and many others have the same experience. I am lost how anyone who seriously tries a good optic concludes its less functional.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hesitant at first. With my aging eyes I tried one on an MOS Glock. I immediately fell in love. Just present the gun the same way you would with irons and the dot appears. Don't go fishing for the dot. If you do it the same way as you always have the dot appears. The thing I really like is that you stay focused on the target and as soon as the dot appears squeeze the trigger. Also a great training aide since you can see the dot move if you jerk the trigger. I now EDC it and will not go back. If I could afford it I would put an RMR on everything. Just make sure that you get the RMR07 with the 6.5 MOA dot. Faster, much faster.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
I have transitioned both of my EDC Glock 19s to RMRs in the past 5 months.
There is a reliability concern on my part, i.e. the fading or flashing dot, but the benefits for those who are near sighted cannot be dismissed.
Being near sighted and wearing glasses to clearly see anything beyond 3', I can no longer properly focus between rear sight, front sight and target.
With an RMR, no problem at all. Focus on the target only and the RMR dot is clear.
I suggest using suppressor height sights in conjunction, in case the RMR or similar electronic sight fails.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I am using an RMR on a milled G19 and a Shield RDS on a milled G43. I am considerably more accurate over irons alone. Both also have supressor sights which cowitness with the dot, for a backup. The weight difference is extremely minimal with the milled slide. I had cataract surgery last year and can see the dot very clearly.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
I EDC a P320 Compact RX and it's great. As mentioned it's great for quick target acquisition and enhanced accuracy especially for older eyes like mine.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post