SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    DAO sig 228 west german question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DAO sig 228 west german question Login/Join 
posted
Hi all I saw one of these at my local place and was wondering is it less popular because of that ? All of my older and west german Sig's are all DA/SA but I don't have a 228 so was just wondering if that should be a reason not to get it . Thanks in advance

Posts: 126 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
DAO P228s were made mainly for LE agencies. Unless you're a DAO fan, there are no reasons to get it, with one exception. That you can get it for a song, then convert to DA/SA and still come out ahead.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I have a nice TT 228 that I did exactly this with. DAO when I bought it, converted it and couldn’t have been happier.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind getting a DAO 228, just to have as a DAO gun.

I had a DAO NYPD 226, that I converted to DA/SA and I kind of wish I hadn't. If I could have mastered that heavy DAO trigger, I could have mastered just about anything!

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
If I could have mastered that heavy DAO trigger, I could have mastered just about anything!

I am curious whether your NYPD DAO P226 had a mainspring marked with red paint. If so, that was the DAK mainspring that mine was equipped with, and that resulted in a much heavier trigger pull weight than other DAO SIGs’. The pull weight of a DAO pistol with a normal mainspring would be the same as the double action pull of a DA/SA pistol.

Converting a DAO SIG to DA/SA is easy and relatively inexpensive (last time I checked). All that’s necessary is to add the decocking assembly parts and change the hammer to the DA/SA type.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
If I could have mastered that heavy DAO trigger, I could have mastered just about anything!

I am curious whether your NYPD DAO P226 had a mainspring marked with red paint. If so, that was the DAK mainspring that mine was equipped with, and that resulted in a much heavier trigger pull weight than other DAO SIGs’. The pull weight of a DAO pistol with a normal mainspring would be the same as the double action pull of a DA/SA pistol.

Converting a DAO SIG to DA/SA is easy and relatively inexpensive (last time I checked). All that’s necessary is to add the decocking assembly parts and change the hammer to the DA/SA type.

The "New York" triggers on NYPD sidearms over the years (including the SIGs) have been so heavy to reduce negligent discharges that the running joke is the NY stands for "now yank." Accuracy suffered badly as well.

If I'd purchased an NYPD P228, the first think I would have done is change it to DA/SA.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
If I'd purchased an NYPD P228, the first think I would have done is change it to DA/SA.

Well, I changed my NYPD P226 to DAK, but if that had not been an option, I would have simply replaced the mainspring to reduce the DAO pull to a reasonable level.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't mind getting a DAO 228, just to have as a DAO gun.

I had a DAO NYPD 226, that I converted to DA/SA and I kind of wish I hadn't. If I could have mastered that heavy DAO trigger, I could have mastered just about anything!

Get yourself a S+W Sigma for $200 or a bodyguard 380, if you can master either of those, you can master any trigger!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't want a DAO Sig, BUT if the price was right it would be a prime excuse for me to send it out to be converted to DA/SA or SA along with an excellent trigger job done by one of the top SIG gunsmiths on the forum.......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info I'm going to take another look and see if I can get the price down . Always hard to resist a west german sig lol

Posts: 126 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:

Well, I changed my NYPD P226 to DAK, but if that had not been an option, I would have simply replaced the mainspring to reduce the DAO pull to a reasonable level.

I recently heard that the previous and current rookie class got to train with a normal trigger and an NYPD trigger. They left the academy with NYPD triggers, but information is being compiled for possible future changes. (Although I doubt the bureaucrats will allow changes)!

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post