SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Stabilizer brace for Sig 556 pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stabilizer brace for Sig 556 pistol Login/Join 
Picture of LZ_226
posted
Picked up a Sig P556 (pistol) from one of the SF vendors several years ago. My intentions were to SBR it, but ended up getting a Sig factory SBR (SWAT) instead. The P556 has lived in my safe ever since.

Now since the ATF's approval of various style (Non-NFA) stabilizer braces for pistols, in rifle calibers, I'm wondering what opinions are out there specifically for a Sig 556 pistol?

Not very up to date on what's currently out there. Something other than the obvious SB-15. Anybody see anything at this years shot Show?

Look forward to your replies. Thanks.

- LZ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LZ_226,

Posts: 1000 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
SB Tactical tube with SBTactical SDB brace approximates the fixed Swiss style folding stock. SB just released a folding coupler too but you'll need to lop some off the end of the brace tube to shorten LOP (its solid at the end so its sturdy enough.

Here's that SB setup but with a SAN M4 adaptor to fit the Swiss lower on my 553.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
SB MPX Brace is going on mine.
One would also need the stock/rail adapter.
Finding the adapter may be tricky now though
http://www.sigsauerguns.com/si...er-psb-1913-blk.html

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LZ_226
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

"PGT" Do they make a folding variation of the pistol brace?

"Black92LX" you have me intrigued. You're saying that with some sort of adapter I can use the SB MPX Brace

on my Sig P556? How would the receiver accommodate the MP-5 style rails that are used on this brace?

I would love it if there were a way to do this. But, I can't imagine it working since the receiver hasn't any groves in it for the rails to slide in and out of.

Posts: 1000 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
That is correct it will work. The receiver is narrow enough that they slide just fine. Though it is not suggested to fire the gun with it completely collapsed.
The adapter linked is a Sig factory part that replaces the tailcap on the rear of the gun and allows an MPX stock or in this case the MPX PDW brace to be installed.

Here is a thread with the MPX stock installed. But the brave functions just the same.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3060038044/p/1

Finding the adapter might be the trouble since the 556 has gone the way of the Dodo. I got mine from CDNN but they no longer have any it seems.

Looks like this place may have some
http://outfittersemporium.com/...-blk-1913-interface/

I presume in theory you could use this adapter and buy the SB PDW brace that utilizes a buffer tube instead of the MPX model
http://outfittersemporium.com/...uminum-blk-threaded/

If you want a folding brace you could use this stock adapter.
https://ddles.com

————————————————

posted Hide Post
my original p556 lower was the "ar" type lower like your picture that has a buffer tube extension on the rear and not the folding hinge of traditional 55x lowers.
you would probably need
kns 1913 adapter
sb fs1913
the mpx brace would work too, like kimberkid did. i think he mentions some minor issues in its use. the fs1913 from SB might be an alternative.

sig has an ar/mcx 1913 adapter, but it has an odd geometry that i do not believe would work with the AR style sig 556 lower. why i believe the kns would be a better option.

i might do the same to my pistol lower i have in the safe. always wanted a decent pistol option for my SBR.

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
SB makes a folding coupler that goes in-line, p/n BTFA. Brownells has it for a decent price.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/wp...07/BTFA-Open-web.jpg

Picture of LZ_226
posted Hide Post
Haven't been this excited about my 556 pistol in quite some time. Thanks for showing me the Kimberkid post. If I can get the parts, I think I may just SBR it. Now to find the parts. Thanks Black92LX for the link. I added it to my cart and it doesn't give me the option to check out, just add it to my cart. So that may be a dead end. I'll have to keep looking. Thanks for the help everyone. You've definitely re-ignited my interest in this pistol that's been retired to the dark catacombs of my gun safe for some time. You guys have given me quite a lot to think about. Did anybody else do what KimberKid did to his pistol here on SF?

- LZ

posted Hide Post
I SBR'd my 556P as well. I used Dean's NFA trust and efiled the Form 1, engraved the upper with the required info, and once approved bought a 556xi lower with 'classic' side folding stock. My first SBR, and looking back at that process waiting was the toughest part!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 668 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
I SBR'd my 556P as well. I used Dean's NFA trust and efiled the Form 1, engraved the upper with the required info, and once approved bought a 556xi lower with 'classic' side folding stock. My first SBR, and looking back at that process waiting was the toughest part!

Only rub is the Swiss folders are running +$300 plus $200 tax stamp.
Rough go for $500 when you can achieve similar for $200 or so.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very much worth it to me...still less than a 552!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 668 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LZ_226
posted Hide Post
I've looked everywhere! Any idea where I can find that dang adapter?

Is the stock readily available at this point?
I'd be interested in both, the brace and the std stock (for NFA).

Wish I had discovered the other thread 6 months ago

Thanks.

- LZ

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Did you try calling Sig?
It is a genuine part so it is possible they still have some. Slim possibility as it is a part for all models that have been discontinued.
Here is a picture of the packaging.

————————————————

Picture of LZ_226
posted Hide Post
Okay, I've called Sig. I've exhausted every lead I can think of, outside of paying $250 to a guy on GunBroker

I was at a gun show Saturday and I saw the Springfield Armory's Saint Edge CQB pistol. I had heard all the hype from Shot about Maxim Defense's new braces, but wow! Talk about a well engineered, rail guided retractable brace. No wonder MD did so well at shot. They've got a heck of a product there. But, they are expensive! Not any more than paying the guy on GB and turning around and purchasing a MPX retractable stock from Sig.

Anyone thinking about installing a Maxim Defense CQB pistol PDW brace on their P556?

Is it possible? Anyone have any thoughts.

By the way, "thanks" to everyone that's contributed so far it's been greatly appreciated! Especially those that posted multiple times answering my various questions.

-LZ

Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
The sig railed adapter as pictured two posts above is for the folding stock 556 lower, not the AR type lower as pictured in the OP.

Don’t spend big money on an adapter that won’t fit your gun.

You should be able to use any AR brace if you have the one pictured in the OP.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fullmann:
The sig railed adapter as pictured two posts above is for the folding stock 556 lower, not the AR type lower as pictured in the OP.

Don’t spend big money on an adapter that won’t fit your gun.

You should be able to use any AR brace if you have the one pictured in the OP.

I forgot all about the buffer tube configuration of the 556.
Sorry to the OP if I sent you on a wild goose chase for a part you don’t need.

I wonder if the rails on the SB Tactical PDW (for the AR) are wide enough to clear the upper on the 556.
The SB unit is very well built too and around $200 if I remember correctly when I bought mine for an AR pistol build.

————————————————

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Is this what you’re looking for KNS AR to MCX adapter. They make two versions, one with a flange to retain the rear takedown pin spring and one without.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LZ_226:
Okay, I've called Sig. I've exhausted every lead I can think of, outside of paying $250 to a guy on GunBroker

I was at a gun show Saturday and I saw the Springfield Armory's Saint Edge CQB pistol. I had heard all the hype from Shot about Maxim Defense's new braces, but wow! Talk about a well engineered, rail guided retractable brace. No wonder MD did so well at shot. They've got a heck of a product there. But, they are expensive! Not any more than paying the guy on GB and turning around and purchasing a MPX retractable stock from Sig.

Anyone thinking about installing a Maxim Defense CQB pistol PDW brace on their P556?

Is it possible? Anyone have any thoughts.

By the way, "thanks" to everyone that's contributed so far it's been greatly appreciated! Especially those that posted multiple times answering my various questions.

-LZ

going to put one on my ar15 pistol build dang nice looking and well engineered optics planit has them on sale.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the part you will need for your P556 WITH FLANGE. If you want to use arm braces with the 1913 interface.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ambush,

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Wow...that's interesting. Cool that they're making that.