SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Contemplating going Red Dot on a pistol
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating going Red Dot on a pistol Login/Join 
posted
Getting older, getting LASIK, getting to the point where I see the value of having threat-focus and a similar sight picture with both Pistol and Rifle.

Have several 9mm pistols I'm considering red-dotting: PX4 fullsize, VP9, P320 Carry, and CZ P10F. None of these are setup for red dots, so I'd have to cut the slides (lame) or buy a new slide (meh). This is a new world for me so I'm reading up on things, but as always I like to check in here and learn from those who have gone before me.

Are any of the pistols I listed naturally "better" platforms for a pistol-mounted optic? I like them all nearly equally, for different reasons, and they've all thusfar survived the gauntlet of my pickiness, but I figure some platforms might be superior hosts for something like an Aimpoint Acro or a Holosun 509T (the two I'm considering, as I only want sealed-emitter optics).

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
due to my eyesight changes I have put a red dot on just about everything imaginable that I own. I don't think it changes the characteristics of what's good or bad about the underlying gun. To me the 'naturally better' is the ones where the mfg has done the work and engineering to give you an optic mounting system. That said I've milled now dozens and dozens of slides and mostly its just a matter of sorting out what screw thread and length and springs etc. are needed. Of the guns you list the one that seems easiest to me is the VP9 as the OR slide seems readily available. I've mounted both an RMR and an ACRO on that without issue. I don't follow the 320 carry models too closely so there may be a slide for it (M18? or another that's already milled if yours is not. the mounting base may limit your choices). I've put an ACRO, RMR and DPP on an M18 and for sig's the annoying issue is sorting out the backup irons. I have no Holosun experience (chinese) but the ACRO would be one of my least desirable choices due to battery life alone.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait until after lasik. Your vision will change.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
In my personal experience it took me a while to get used to the red dot on a pistol. I didn’t have much trouble transitioning to an optic on long guns but when I put one on my pistol it took a lot of work to get used to it. Dry fire exercises helped a ton.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The dot is always an enabler.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If you are going to do it, my opinion is mount one that still allows you to used the iron sights.... that is what I have on my P320 and as has been mentioned it takes some work to find the dot at first... what I found was more natural was to draw and use the iron sights initially and then transition to the dot ..... I know sounds time consuming but it really isn't.

Now with that said.... I actually for a defensive handgun went in a different direction.... laser.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have several 9mm pistols I'm considering red-dotting: PX4 fullsize, VP9, P320 Carry, and CZ P10F.

Are any of the pistols I listed naturally "better" platforms for a pistol-mounted optic?

None of these is specifically better than others for RDS as all of them have been done that way. I think PX4 is an uncommon bird in dot circles so there's probably less know-how. If you're going with a closed emitter (my preference for a full sized pistols as well), I think your choice will be limited by which one pistol can accept the ACRO or 509T. I would concentrate my research on that; of the top of my head I can't even say for sure if any of those 4 can be milled for those two optics.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
In my personal experience it took me a while to get used to the red dot on a pistol. I didn’t have much trouble transitioning to an optic on long guns but when I put one on my pistol it took a lot of work to get used to it. Dry fire exercises helped a ton.

This is exactly what my experience has been.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's my experience as well. Be prepared to put in some time aclimating to the dot.

Put in the practice and you will be happy you did. This is especially true if using irons is getting to be a challenge.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to try it without spending much money (other than the RD itself), EGW makes plates that hold the optic which replace the rear sight. The mod’s reversible if you find it doesn’t work out. Just FYI.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 509T comes with an RMR cut adapter plate so there is that. Get an RMR cut and bob should be your uncle. It also has an exponentially better battery life than the ACRO. Off the top of my head I think you can get a factory slide for the 320 or just consider a new pistol of course!

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
The 509T comes with an RMR cut adapter plate so there is that. Get an RMR cut and bob should be your uncle.

That's what I got going on my G26. The usual suppressor sights don't clear the housing and optic is only held by screws and tiny bosses. I am not feeling love for this setup and mostly using it as a test bed for the 509T.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I resisted putting a red dot on for a long time. I'm 50 and my presbyopia is getting worse. I can see fine long distance but my up close is horrible and getting worse. I put a red dot on my 9mm and it is amazing. Took a little getting used to but after a bunch of practice, game changer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Here's my free advice ... and assume it's worth every penny you're paying for it.

I was looking at trying out a Red Dot on a pistol. After pricing out milling an existing slide and buying an alternate slide, I just decided to buy a whole nother gun, with the Dot already installed. I chose the P320C exactly like my existing P320C, except with suppressor height sights and the Romeo I Pro optic. Now I was able to compare the similar, but different guns side by side. Early on, the optic failed. But a new battery put it quickly back in service, While the battery was dead, the suppressor height sights worked flawlessly. And after a few thousand rounds, I'm still not a Red Dot convert. But, I do know that "IF" I decide against the Red Dot, all I need do is remove it and put the adapter plate back on.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the advice.

Can anyone speak to if presbyopia reaches to the front sight? I honestly don't know at what distance it "kicks in", as I've always been near-sighted so it's not a problem.

I ask be cause I don't yet have presbyopia (vision is getting corrected for near-sightedness) but have heard it can manifest earlier after LASIK correction for near-sightedness, and I'm not getting any younger, so I'm trying to think/plan ahead with a potential switch to mainly red dots on pistols.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I had lasik last year and I see 20/20. I still see the sights a bit blurry.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

Interesting. Thanks. Was it that way before LASIK? Did you have any presbyopia beforehand?

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

Interesting. Thanks. Was it that way before LASIK? Did you have any presbyopia beforehand?

It was this way before lasik while wearing my prescription glasses.
Without wearing prescription glasses, I was able to see the iron sights crisp, but everything else blurry, but with lasik, I basically see how I see when wearing prescription eyewear, but a bit better.

I did notice that I can see red dot sights more crisp post lasik. Before, they were more of a kidney bean shape, now they are far more round, not quite perfectly round, but round.

I'm currently 39, so I have not yet experienced the presbyopia you describe, but my eye doctor mentioned it that I may when I reach my mid 50s. I know my dad did in his 50s or 60s (sorry don't know the details of distance).

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks. So far I am just dealing with my nearsightedness, though I will be 45 this year so according to my eye doctors presbyopia is not far off. My parents got reading glasses in their mid-50s, so I expect about the same.

posted Hide Post
LASIK accomplished. Red dots are now much more circular, though I'm only a few days into the healing process so I have a lot more "improvement" to go, or at least, stabilization. Good stuff.

That said, the lack of circularity of red dots was a large part of me not wanting to go fully red dot on pistols. That and no enclosed emitters, though I can probably get over that since most are open (for now).

Now the question for wise people on this forum is:
Mill pistols I have (SIG P320 Carry and P365) or go with optic ready platforms (likely CZ P10F and P10S)?

I appreciate the input of those who have gone before.