SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG P239...still one of my go-to pistols
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG P239...still one of my go-to pistols Login/Join 
posted
I've got about 100 guns now and have options to carry everything from an HK P7M8 to a Glock 42 with lots in between. This P239 has been with me longer than any other gun (since 2003) and despite all the other options it's still one of my most frequently carried pistols. It's the one I reach for whenever I'm on my motorcycle (very often) because it works well for me with gloved hands. Without the bike it's usually an HK P30SK. It was on me today as I meandered through the Appalachians in Virginia.

I know it's large & heavy for a gun that holds only eight rounds of 9mm but it's very comfortable and easy to shoot. It's one of my wife's favorites too (along with the P7M8).

I just wanted to express some love for a pistol that gets overlooked.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
239 in 357Sig also carries 8 rounds with a +1 mag. Big Grin

Heavy? Yes, but it's so easy to carry and so are the single stack mags.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is the pistol I most frequently carry also.

Mine is in 357 & I just got a 40S&W barrel for it. Lookinf gorward to seeing how it shoots.

Posts: 19 | Registered: July 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a Plus One kit and then you will have a ten round gun with virtually no change in the dimensions of the gun.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have never owned the P239, but they are really quality pistols. Add some nice grips , and they are striking in looks.

Beautiful area you were visiting, Photoman.
(Speaking as a Virginian.)

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
The P239 is a great gun. I find myself CCW'ing it more than I do my P938. It's also nice to switch out with my P226 when I need a lighter option.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been going back and forth on getting a SIG P239 G2 SAS in 9mm or the SIG P225A1.

Size is close with a slight edge to the P239. Some say that the P225A1 "handles better" but the P239 handles well enough to make that a wash.

Where the P239 wins IMHO is in availability of magazines and a wider selection of holsters. Mags are available almost anywhere and it can run a 10rd mag where the P225A1 cannot.

P239 is a great gun. Might have to get both!

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P239 is indeed a great pistol. My 9mm version is incredibly accurate in my hands and very comfortable to shoot, especially with Hogue wrap-around grips or my current favorite, the Hogue G10 checkered grips. It carries like a compact yet shoots better (for me) than many full size pistols.

I've yet to hold/shoot a P225 reissue, but I can imagine if it's at all like my P239, it's worthwhile.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm another fan of the 239 in 9mm with the G10 grips.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry Glock, but sometimes I want DA. Sig P239(9mm) is one of my go to pistols as well.

Posts: 45 | Registered: June 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P239 was my personal carry for several years. I havent carried it a lot latelt, but I kerp thinking about sending it off to Bruce Gray, and maybe a refinish.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I have never owned the P239, but they are really quality pistols. Add some nice grips , and they are striking in looks.
I agree, the P239 and 357SIG are a great combination. Wood grips just enhance the package

I love the 8 round contact magazines for this pistol. I do not even carry the 7s any more.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Those P239's are gorgeous!

Mine is worn, full of lint and the left grip screw has rust.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Get a Plus One kit and then you will have a ten round gun with virtually no change in the dimensions of the gun.

I've got 10 of them. Unfortunately, they were listed as discontinued at TGS as of a few months ago.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
colt,
Those are some pretty pistols.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
239 in Sig 357 perhaps the best combo on urban concealed carry & woods gun ever made.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned my 239 for many, many moons now, and have zero plans to ever get rid of it. I shoot it as good, if not better, than any of my other autos.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I flirt with other pistols but keep returning to my P239 because its so easy to shoot well. Gotta love a gun that makes you look good!
Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For all my adult life I carried what I was told as a condition of employment, the last of those required carry weapons was the Sig P229 in .357Sig. Recently I acquired a Sig P239 in .40 cal and bought 9mm and .357Sig barrels. As of late I am finding the P239, because of the grip length, is more comfortable to carry while sitting and driving. In retirement, I can deal with compromises between mag capacity and comfort. More and more the P229 stays in the safe and the P239 in my holster.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried the P225A1 and it's nice but I really like my 10 yr old Gen 1 SAS DAK 9mm. To me, the P239 just is perfect in the DAK version. It's one SIG that I feel is too slick in the SAS. And the wood grips don't fit my hand as well as aftermarket. But, I like it so much that I decided to get a regular version in DAK to go with my 10 yr old one. The DAK versions are out of the catalog now and listed very high when you can find one new. But they show as still available thru the 2017 SIG Armed Pro Program so mine is on order. Just found out it will be here day after tomorrow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IkenI,

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post