SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I got talked out of purchasing a 1911
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got talked out of purchasing a 1911 Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Yep, bad advice, more prejudice than facts.

I'm sure it would be news to quite a few competitive shooters who use 1911s. And they don't have to be in the 2K to 3K range to be accurate.

It seems 1911s are often either a love or hate proposition with people. I have quite a few and I probably shoot them more accurately than any other pistols I own.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New 1911s are pretty good. My first was a Combat Commander 38 Super in 1979. Back then there was a Winchester 125 grain load with exposed lead. It would not feed it. Sent gun to Colt and they said it was within specs. Tried to sell it, but would not get much for it so decided to keep it. Found a Remington load with a FMJ profile bullet. That one fed, but I could not hit the side of a barn with it. Added a full length guide rod, and now I could at least hit the target backing (and the target once in a while). Then one day I had a kaboom. No structural damage, but it blew out the mag and spilled all the remaining rounds. Looked for the offending case, but never found it. Put the gun away until one day saw an ad for a drop-in Bar-Sto barrel. I figured I had nothing to lose, so sent away for it. I put it in and the gun still rattled, but all of a sudden I had a pretty accurate gun. In fact, I shot IDPA with it for several years and it acquitted itself well. Since then I added better sights and had the slide tightened a bit. It shoots as well as anything else I have (although the ergos are not as good as the custom and semi-custom 1911s I have acquired since then).

If I had not been so cheap at the time, I probably would have written off 1911s forever. As things go, I'm glad I stuck with it and discovered what a 1911 could be.

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy can't hit the side of a barn with his 1911.

His buddy says, let me see that pistol.
Takes a look and says...
"Have you ever tried live ammo, or just snap caps"? Wink

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
He was told by the weapons instructor that the 1911 was for looks only and NOT to pull it in self defense unless he was in an elevator,
because they were damn near useless .

He went on to say that 3 dozen men tried hitting a 12 inch x 12 inch target at 35 feet and the hit ratio was miserable.

This has to be a troll, has to be.

I've seen men routinely get a score of 480 on a 48 shot PPC course with a 1911. I myself can consistently score in the 470's with one. That's 45 or so shots out of 48 in either the 10 ring or X ring on a B27 target. Strong hand only, weak hand only, behind barricades, standing and kneeling, all with time limits.

Whoever told you that shit was high on crack or a retard.

Nah, the FBI Hostage Rescue Team carried 1911s for almost 20 years because they're unreliable pieces of shit you can't hit the broad side of a barn with. Smile

I adore the 1911, but I never lost sight of the fact that the Bureau issued those guns to HRT in pairs so the operator had a back-up.

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
They may even be more fun in 9mm.

Wilson Protector Compact

Range Officer Operator by Nighthawk

-Checker Front Strap 25 LPI

-Reliability Enhancement Package

-Trigger Job, Nighthawk Match Grade Complete Trigger Job, 3.5 - 4.0 lb. (Including all new fully machined parts) Hammer, Sear, Disconnector, Trigger, and Sear Spring **Set pull to 4.5lbs**

-Safety, Ambidextrous, Install, Fit and Tune

-Magwell, Install and Fit Blended One Piece
Magwell/Mainspring Housing (Falcon), cut from forging

-Shorten Slide Stop & Bevel Frame
**Blend in the rear of the slide to frame**

-Prep Job, Grade 3, Prep Frame & slide, Detail prep all small parts, all bevels, blend, smooth scallops & trigger

-Black Nitride Finish, Complete Gun
-Black Nitride Finish, Individual Parts
**Finish trigger, barrel, and barrel bushing in black**
**Complete Blackout**

-Sights, Install Nighthawk 2 Dot Rear Sight & Tritium
Front Sight

-Test Fire, Inspection, and Target

-Six (6) Magazines, 9mm Chip McCormick, XP Government,
10rd, with base pad

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post