SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I got talked out of purchasing a 1911
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got talked out of purchasing a 1911 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’m wanting a new pistol and I’ve never owned a 45. Always wanted a 1911 so that may be what I get.

I can’t decide if I should spend the $ for a TRP or just get the Loaded model and spend the money saved on ammo. That stainless a few posts earlier looks good and it doesn’t have all the “TRP / TACTICAL” branding on it. I wonder how the trigger compares with the TRP though.

The CZ Shadow 2 is also in the running. That’s one sweet shooting gun but I already have a 75 SAO in 9mm so it would be a little redundant.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
can’t decide if I should spend the $ for a TRP or just get the Loaded model and spend the money saved on ammo. That stainless a few posts earlier looks good and it doesn’t have all the “TRP / TACTICAL” branding on it. I wonder how the trigger compares with the TRP though.

If you're talking about mine, the trigger is nice and crisp with no over-travel, and smooth takeup. I don't have a TRP, but it's on par with the one's I've handled. The two things I'd change on my loaded is replace the ambi-safety with a single-sided one (which I may still do), and I'd like front-strap checkering, which the TRP comes with out of the box. I went with the stainless model so if I decide to get it done I won't have to have it refinished.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
I’m wanting a new pistol and I’ve never owned a 45. Always wanted a 1911 so that may be what I get.

I can’t decide if I should spend the $ for a TRP or just get the Loaded model and spend the money saved on ammo. That stainless a few posts earlier looks good and it doesn’t have all the “TRP / TACTICAL” branding on it. I wonder how the trigger compares with the TRP though.

The CZ Shadow 2 is also in the running. That’s one sweet shooting gun but I already have a 75 SAO in 9mm so it would be a little redundant.

Another option for you if you are interested in a Springfield Armory the Range Officer is a bit less expensive than the TRP and is very nice. I just bought a Range Officer Elite Operator in 9mm and am very happy with it. Trigger is very nice once I dry fired it for a while. I also wanted a checkered front strap, although it wasn’t a deal breaker. I find that I don’t really need them, keeping in mind mine is a 9mm, and not a .45.

BTW.....I also own a Shadow 2. Just an awesome pistol and beautiful as well. Can’t go wrong with a Shadow 2 IMHO.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know people have their favorite platforms.

Some like Glocks, and other striker-fired designs.

Others prefer DA/SA hammer-fired semi-autos.

And then there are SA hammer-fired handguns.

[leaving revolvers alone for now]

I say, if you have the money and are interested- get a 1911 and decide for yourself.

I hear a lot of good things about the SA Range Officer. I don't think there is a bad Wilson Combat or Ed Brown, or Nighthawk.

I have never shot a production 1911 that cost over $900, so I have no frame of reference.

I can say that I have 3 Rock Island Armory 1911s, and they work well. They are entry level, but are worlds better than a GI-issued 1911 from years past, that was sloppy and hard to manage.

I have also built up a full Caspian frame/slide 1911, as well as using an Argentinian Sistema [really-DGFM, but everyone says Sistema] as a platform for another custom build.

I am more accurate with them than I am with Glocks, or Sigs. [G34, P220CarryElite, P226 still around: sold P220Combat and P225].

I taught a friend's 11 year old daughter how to shoot [and him].

Long story short: I got them to the range after extensive training/familiarity for safety.
At range, they both shot .22lr, .380acp, .38special, 9mm, .45acp, .45lc, .357mag and .44mag.

She fired all of the calibers listed and hit the target with most of them- her first day out.

At end, I asked if she had a favorite that she wanted to shoot again. She requested my Franken-Sistema 5" 1911, and proceeded to hit the target 7 out of 8 times at 10 yards.

5'2" 90lb 11year old- prefered .45acp in 1911 steel govt sized pistol over everything else.

[her dad preferred .44mag from 7.5" SuperRedhawk, but wasn't very accurate.]

Moral?

With proper training, attitude, and well maintained equipment, the 1911 is just fine!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
can’t decide if I should spend the $ for a TRP or just get the Loaded model and spend the money saved on ammo. That stainless a few posts earlier looks good and it doesn’t have all the “TRP / TACTICAL” branding on it. I wonder how the trigger compares with the TRP though.

If you're talking about mine, the trigger is nice and crisp with no over-travel, and smooth takeup. I don't have a TRP, but it's on par with the one's I've handled. The two things I'd change on my loaded is replace the ambi-safety with a single-sided one (which I may still do), and I'd like front-strap checkering, which the TRP comes with out of the box. I went with the stainless model so if I decide to get it done I won't have to have it refinished.

You’ve just about talked me into it. I might get the Loaded AND get the Shadow later on this spring. Or, just get a bunch of 45acp. Now there’s an idea!

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I have wanted a 1911 since firing a Springfield
professional, it shot wonderfully , that was 15 years ago.

Since then I have just lusted , for a five inch model

Now I am pretty much ready to go out and find the one I want and giter done.

Then I went to breakfast with a veteran who went through r.o.t.c. at Ft.Riley K.S. .

He was told by the weapons instructor that the 1911 was for looks only and NOT to pull it in self defense unless he was in an elevator,
because they were damn near useless .

He went on to say that 3 dozen men tried hitting a 12 inch x 12 inch target at 35 feet and the hit ratio was miserable.

then I came across the 1911 thread in the Sig Forum pistol section .

Another pistol shooter asked if my Ruger .45 acp did what I wanted it to.

I said yes , he told me to keep it , and "be still " about the 1911, unless I win the lottery.

So there you go , but I am still tempted to go to youtube and find some vid's of 1911's that contradict what I've been told.

What a bunch of nonsense. The Springer Pro is a wonderful pistol. Just ask the FBI.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest you get the book " Resolve" and read it. It about a young LT who did not surrender when the Philippines fell but went into the jungle. He took with him his 1911 which he said saved his life many times during the three years he lived in the jungle. The 1911 is a very fine pistol.

Posts: 139 | Registered: August 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Me and my son both shoot Centerfir Bullseye League with 1911’s.

Mine, Gold Cup NM, his, Dan Wesson.

Reliable and accurate.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
I have as many 1911s as Sigs, but I just shoot a 1911 better. My first gun was a P226, so I am partial to Sigs, to a fault, and I have W. German 226 and 228 for my son and daughter to match mine for when the day comes. Now I openly qualify this statement knowing the 1911s I have are not in the same category, but I shoot a 1911 far better, and have more fun with them than my Sigs or anything else. Now I usually shoot a STI, Nighthawk and Wilson Combat, but even my TRP, Dan Wesson and Colt I enjoy more (and am more accurate with) than say 226 SAO Legion, closest Sig I have owned to those. If I didn't have the emotional attachment to the Sigs I'd probably sell them and get more 1911s, but I just can't bring myself to do that.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

No email in profile, but email me re TRP and would be glad to help you out.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then I went to breakfast with a veteran who went through r.o.t.c. at Ft.Riley K.S. .

He was told by the weapons instructor that the 1911 was for looks only and NOT to pull it in self defense unless he was in an elevator,
because they were damn near useless .

He went on to say that 3 dozen men tried hitting a 12 inch x 12 inch target at 35 feet and the hit ratio was miserable.

If what the veteran stated (as 2nd hand info) was accurate, then it is a poor reflection of the "weapons instructors" abilities to teach, inasmuch as three dozen men had a poor hit ratio on a target of that size at that short distance.
Perhaps he meant 35 yards as that would at least seem plausible when using well worn Govt pistols.

The other comment regarding the elevator is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

My 1st center fire pistol purchased in 1974, was a 1967 Colt 1911 Govt. Model in 45 ACP.
The pistol had very loose tolerances and other quality issues (other than its nice bluing).
My inexperience with trigger control, a tea cup grip low on the pistol and mostly experience with CO2 pellet pistols at the time did not work in favor of target accuracy.
I still could manage to get most hits within a 12" circle at 25 yards using basically whatever 230 grain ammo was on sale at the time.

Presently I have an assortment of 1911 style pistols in 9 mm and 45 ACP
I find the 45 ACP versions easier to shoot as the recoil is more of a push then a snap and the (slower, low pressure) 45 ACP cartridge seem to provide an edge in accuracy

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've got a TRP. It's a very, very nice handgun. The front strap checkering is VERY aggressive, but either it wore in or my hands toughened up after the first range trip. It feels perfect to me now. Mine has the slightest bit of a roll to the trigger that I'd like to do away with, but the thing shoots so well that I'm afraid to touch it. If they'd let me carry a personally owned weapon on duty, it would be my choice. Only thing I changed on mine was to swap out the one piece guide rod with a GI setup (a personal preference). I've owned 2 Loaded models over the years, and they were perfectly fine pistols. They weren't in the same league as the TRP when it comes to fit, finish, and features. For me the TRP is worth every penny of the cost to upgrade from the Loaded.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
quote:

I've got a TRP. It's a very, very nice handgun. The front strap checkering is VERY aggressive, but either it wore in or my hands toughened up after the first range trip. It feels perfect to me now. Mine has the slightest bit of a roll to the trigger that I'd like to do away with, but the thing shoots so well that I'm afraid to touch it. If they'd let me carry a personally owned weapon on duty, it would be my choice. Only thing I changed on mine was to swap out the one piece guide rod with a GI setup (a personal preference). I've owned 2 Loaded models over the years, and they were perfectly fine pistols. They weren't in the same league as the TRP when it comes to fit, finish, and features. For me the TRP is worth every penny of the cost to upgrade from the Loaded.

Thanks very much to you and all others for such informative and helpful replies. I want to get something special with a nice trigger so I will probably go upmarket from the “Loaded” price point or, even from the TRP.

I handled a Les Baer at a local store today and it was a sexy beast. I could have put it on layaway today and paid for 2/3 of it but it wasn’t the model I wanted. The UTC with no front serrations posted earlier in the thread would be perfect!

I need to step back and take some time to find the right gun. 99% sure it will be a 1911 though.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:

I handled a Les Baer at a local store today and it was a sexy beast. I could have put it on layaway today and paid for 2/3 of it but it wasn’t the model I wanted. The UTC with no front serrations posted earlier in the thread would be perfect!

I need to step back and take some time to find the right gun. 99% sure it will be a 1911 though.

Greetings and happy hunting on your 1911 quest!

I found that particular UTC online for sale by the original owner. He’d spec’d it with Baer to feature no FCS and even no “.45 ACP” marking on the slide. I couldn’t resist!

From time to time, 1911 Heaven will have UTCs on-hand with no FCS - might be worth a look if you decide to take the plunge in that direction. I’ve seen them offered at Top Gun Supply at times, also.

https://cj1911heaven.com/LesBaerInventory.html

https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...age=1&keep_https=yes

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links, Front Range. I might look into the Custom Carry with no FCS. Thanks again!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the links, Front Range. I might look into the Custom Carry with no FCS. Thanks again!

You’re most welcome!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:

About to email you with a lead on an excellent used one.

Edited to add: no email address in your profile. Mine is in my profile - feel free to message me there if you wish.

posted Hide Post
This will most likely be my last handgun purchase, I want it to be my best gun.

So I looked in to a Springfield Professional,
But three arrivals a three YouTube's say that it's essentially shoot
Between 700 and 1000 rounds through it prior to carrying it daily.

The most I've ever put through my other three carry guns was 475 or so

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
WOW... I am so glad you posted to your original thread. Made for some interesting reading. I can say without hesitation that my SIG 1911 is hands down the most accurate weapon in my arsenal (long guns scare me Eek)

The phenomenal performance was 1st trip to range. I even pushed target out to 25 yards and had a decent grouping and I am a 2 hand one eyed shooter on iron sites. This was the first SIG I purchased... she started my love for shooting SIG handguns.

https://ibb.co/L1QVhYB

I loved this Silver beauty so much, I got her Gold Brother...

https://ibb.co/G03HS7b

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NMDave,

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kashew
posted Hide Post
The answer to the age old “if you could only have one”? My 1911 with a pony on it.

Posts: 30 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: November 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post