SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I got talked out of purchasing a 1911
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got talked out of purchasing a 1911 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yeah Id politely say something like "oh thats cool man" and then go buy a 1911.

Heck I pieced one together for a fun project from an old Sarco parts kit, CDNN sale remington threaded bbl and a random frame I traded a cheap scope for and it cloverleafs at 15m. The 1911s are no longer my top carry choice but drop me into a random situation with one and I'd not be upset.

I've heard lots of stuff from guys like that and hey everyones entitled to their opinion but I rarely find they are based on fact and experiences. Atleast if we arent talking about old shot out guns. I shot rattle trap berettas and if hes talking well past the expiration mil guns then ok. With that said I wouldnt stop someone from buying a factory Beretta as I've shot some new out of the wrapper guns that were tack drivers.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I've found 1911s to be among the more forgiving automatics to shoot well.

It's also worth noting that despite all the technology we have today to make the latest greatest pistols, it's modern 1911s that tend to dominate competitive shooting circles.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I can shoot a 1911 better than a Sig. If better means smaller groups at a range, that is. But, I cannot, no matter how many times I try, get used to the safety snick off then pull the trigger of the 1911. I tell myself "I can do it. I can do it." But, no matter how many times I buy a modern 1911, I always sell it. Losing money. I just want to draw and fire.

Are they more accurate? Not really. Just the SA trigger is less likely to cause the shooter's poor grip and trigger technique to pull the shot. Believe me, I have poor grip and trigger technique.

Are they more classic? Sure. But, my goodness, they have a lot of parts that just are not required. Tiny springs for the safety and the slide release. A trigger bow. A barrel link. A complicated barrel hood and matching slide recesses. A barrel bushing. Bushing holding stuff. A slide release that WILL scratch your frame. No question about it. Grip bushings that can loosen. Grip screws that can loosen. Grips that can loosen. My stars, we need to figure out grips too. G10 epoxy or burl walnut? Thick or thin panels? Should they cover the mainspring housing pin? What about the magazine release relief? If you don't have the scalloped out grip relief, you might not be able to push that button. Because, of course, your button is not tactical and raised 0.040 inch above standard.

And, then, you get to argue with your friends about extractors. Internal vs. external. And after you settle that, discuss with all gentlemanly restraint, if you think rails are an abomination on 1911 pattern frames. And, having warmed up on two features of the 1911, you get to spend years debating the guide rod length. Are you a purist, or do you follow the path of the enlightened? Which is which?

Then, if you are not too tired, you can opine about the shape of the grip safety. Is it original, or beavertail? What about the hammer? Should you use the standard or the commander style? The mass of the hammer is critical to lock time, or looks, or being tactical. I'm not sure I remember which.

Oh, don't worry, you can then consider the bobtail frame vs. the traditional. And the mainspring housing. Arched or flat? Which promotes accuracy? I think it is flat. Dovetail front sight or original design tenon? Lower your ejection port? Better make sure you have that relief, or you might lose your next gun battle.

Did you order your Wolff gunsprings kit? You need to. Right now. The standard 18 pound recoil spring is probably not right for you. You, with your extra-special gunfighting style and ammunition need to experiment with spring weight. Get the kit. Try them all.

Of course, you'll need to send the 1911 to a gunsmith to make it work. Or so they say. Except many people find they work as received. Even Rugers. But, don't forget that the frame AND the barrel have features to allow the 45 ACP to enter its chamber without delay. Both must be absolutely perfect or you may find yourself with FTF or Condition Alpha malfunctions. Get it polished, or throated, or...

And, then, after you finally are absolutely sure that you have the ideal 1911, without question, you are not done. Now, you have to argue, discuss, debate, and evaluate--magazines. Oh my goodness. Wilson 47D? Which coating? The super tactical black teflon? Steel or plastic floorplate? Generation X or Y follower? Wait, what about Chip McCormick magazines with the split finger follower? Or Tripp Research? Or MecGar? Maybe the original Colt? No, wait, Metalform! I know, you can order one of each, and then you will be sure to get the right one. Just hope it is in the weapon when you have to light off your...

Black Talon JHP? No, wait, those were replaced with Ranger SXT. No, those won't do. I need Speer Gold Dot. That's what I've been told. Or was it Remington Golden Saber? No, it was Hornady Critical Defense. Or Critical Duty? Which is which? I want the one the police use. I have to go look at youtube to see tnoutdoors9 videos on all these to be sure.

And, you'll need to buy a Milt Sparks VMII IWB holster. At least these are available on the used market. And order a new Del Fatti shoulder holster with matching magazine pouches, in elegant burgundy, but you have to deal with a two year wait. No way should you use anything but leather on a 1911. John Moses Browning did not use plastic stuff, and neither should you. But what leather? Cowhide? Horsehide? Lined or not? Better check the reviews. And, if you want to do any mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, or riding around in an authentic US Army tank, you will need the Simply Rugged pancake chest holster. Just ask Jeff.

Do I love the 1911? Absolutely. It is a design that I have lusted after since I was a boy, reading the ads for the 1911 dummy firearm in the back of the gun magazine. I remember the cartoon of the WW2 soldier giving a Jeep the coup de grace with a 1911. I have a box of vintage ball ammo and a couple of milspec magazines, to go along with a 1911 with patent date of 1918. I totally respect all that it has done for our nation, in its military service. I just can't shoot one.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen both sides. In 1967, I was in the National Guard and was issued a 1911 WWII model from Remington Rand. I barely qualified. Rounds went everywhere. I took it to the armorer who was kind enough to spend some time with it. He said the new ones were going to Southeast Asia for very understandable reasons and he had no replacements. He made some improvements including a new barrel. Still, I didn't buy one for myself until 1978, and carried a revolver in the meantime. Since then, I've had several and now I own eight. I'm happy with all of them and carry them often. I'm glad that I trained with my issued sidearm enough to know how to break it down and put it together. I tend to avoid plastic guns, despite their ease of use. I prefer "character," so a little more cleaning time is not a negative. Of course, I'm up in years, too...

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
My first thought is that the guy is full of tacticool shit.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
He was told by the weapons instructor that the 1911 was for looks only and NOT to pull it in self defense unless he was in an elevator,
because they were damn near useless.

So, the military issued useless 1911's for how many decades? Did this guy pretend to be a Seal too? I hope he at least paid for your breakfast.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
A slide release that WILL scratch your frame. No question about it. Grip bushings that can loosen. Grip screws that can loosen. Grips that can loosen. My stars, we need to figure out grips too. G10 epoxy or burl walnut? Thick or thin panels? Should they cover the mainspring housing pin? What about the magazine release relief? If you don't have the scalloped out grip relief, you might not be able to push that button. Because, of course, your button is not tactical and raised 0.040 inch above standard.

I take it that much of your post is tongue in cheek, but you did manage to shoehorn in just about every possible misconception of the 1911 possible.

For the record, it's a slide stop and NO it won't scratch your frame IF installed with reasonable care.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My two cents since I don't own one and have shot very few.

I don't like them, not for concerns of reliability or accuracy. The ones I have shot were plenty accurate, more so than me, and went bang every time. New production ones only.

I don't like the grip angle and SA. I prefer my DA/SA's

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
As a new handgun shooter in my much younger years, I had the opportunity to shoot a 1911 that a friend of mine received from her grandpa. Not a 1911A1, a real 1911. Prior to that time, I had only shot a Ruger standard .22 and a cap and ball black powder pistol. That 1911 was pie plate in a tree accurate for as far back as we could stand without falling off the side of the mountain we we hiking up (at least 50'). For a newby shooter, I'll take that accuracy. I've had the benefit of better instruction and better 1911 pistols to shoot since. All have been more than accurate enough with me being the limiting factor. I'm guessing what you were told was shared by someone not humble enough to admit where the weak link was in the process.

Go buy that pistol.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I guess I need to find a range that offers 1911's , for rent.

and shoot 50 rounds with my Ruger P90 and another 50 with the 1911,
prior to making a final judgement

That guy was full of shit. And you’ll more than likely shoot a 1911 better than you will the ruger P90

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a ridiculous statement. I carried a 1911 for years, and never failed to qualify "expert" in the Army.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a 1911 guy

but even I know that a properly machined and maintained 1911 can be a great pistol

that gun has stood the test of time no doubt

buy what you want and enjoy it

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I bought a Rock Island full size 1911 for $150 because a coworker needed money and I didn’t have a 1911. From 10 yards I can put all the rounds in a pie tin without much effort. This is a low end example of the model and I used federal bulk ammo. *shrug*

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Many times it been suggested here that it's not necessarily the gun, it's more likely the user that is the root of an issue.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem for me with the 1911 is I wanted more after I started shooting them. Get yourself one and enjoy it. You don't have to take it to combat.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
First gun I bought was a 1911. I have more than one now.

I’ve used one for about 10 years for defensive purposes. 1911’s are just fine for defensive use as long as you use quality ammunition and practice with it occasionally. This is the same rule that applies to basically any handgun.

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I wonder where Mr. Baggett found an elevator big enough to fit a Japanese aircraft inside, yet small enough that he could still hit something inside it with his wildly inaccurate 1911?

And why was said elevator that high up in the sky? In the middle of a war zone, no less.

Posts: 32507 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While most of my service time was in the M9 era, one thing I can say is military handgun outside of special operations units is in a word abysmal.
I spent some time teaching my troops as best I could to properly handle an M9.
Prior to deployment we had the same 40 rounds issued to hit 30 targets with a minimum score if I recall of 23 hits to qualify or just barely over 50% hits to be “qualified”
Just like in the old days the 1911 was frequently criticized l, lots of complaints regarding the effectiveness of the M9 had much more to do with lack of adequate training than any deficiency in the pistol itself.
I can shoot a 1911 fairly well, but can do better with other types of handguns personally.
However the 1911 is so iconic I will always own at least one

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I shoot USPSA and every master & grand master shooter is using a 2011(double stack 1911) or similar gun....

I was issued a wore out POS singer 1911 in 1988 that I carried until we switched to the beretta....it would hit a man at 25 yards all day long but when you shook it, it sounded like a rock in a empty 55gallon barrel....

I think you need to go pick up some newer made CGC machines 1911s and find out for yourself.

I’d bet my life on my STI 2011.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post