SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Install "D" hammer spring in Beretta 92's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Install "D" hammer spring in Beretta 92's Login/Join 
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted
I am trying to install the "D" spring in my Beretta 92fs and 92fs compact. The videos I have watched show the pin holding everything together comes out very easily after pushing down on the lanyard loop. I can't get either of mine to budge. Had my son trying to use a hammer and tapping lightly and a little harder.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a couple that I had to push down while using a punch and hammer lightly.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Dumb question but is the hammer down? Push the lanyard loop (if present) firmly against a wooden surface while driving out the pin.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
If it’s a roll pin(typically American manufactured) you’ll need a hammer and punch with a few light taps. The solid pin generally falls out by pushing up on the hammer spring cap. Even the roll pin needs the cap pushed in slightly to relieve spring tension.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’ve had a couple that I had to push down while using a punch and hammer lightly.

I was pushing down while my son was trying to drive the pie out.

Dumb question but is the hammer down? Push the lanyard loop (if present) firmly against a wooden surface while driving out the pin.

Yes the hammer was down.

I tried it with the slide on and the slide off as the videos differed on that. Same results either way.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some have roll pins, some have pins that are of smaller diameter in the center. Are you able to push the lanyard loop and get some movement out of it? If so you have to push the lanyard loop to find the sweet spot. If it is of this type you shouldn't need a hammer to push the pin out.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
If it’s a roll pin(typically American manufactured) you’ll need a hammer and punch with a few light taps. The solid pin generally falls out by pushing up on the hammer spring cap. Even the roll pin needs the cap pushed in slightly to relieve spring tension.

Did use hammer and punch.

Thanks

Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
Some have roll pins, some have pins that are of smaller diameter in the center. Are you able to push the lanyard loop and get some movement out of it? If so you have to push the lanyard loop to find the sweet spot. If it is of this type you shouldn't need a hammer to push the pin out.

I can get the lanyard loop to push in without a problem but pin refuses to come out. Even tried penetrant on it with no luck.

Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I have probably done this 100 times.

First - Just try pushing down harder. Also, it is possible to push too hard and the pin will not budge.

Second - If this does not work put the punch on the pin and then slowly push down on the lanyard loop, when you hit the sweet spot it should pop out.

Interestingly, the only 92s I have had with roll pins were Italian ones. All of my American made pistols have the solid pins. I have converted my two Italian pistols from roll pins to the solid, dog bone shaped pins.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RioGrande481: Also, it is possible to push too hard and the pin will not budge.

This is what I was thinking. It is possible to push the lanyard loop too hard, going past the point where the pressure is off the pin.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RioGrande481:
I have probably done this 100 times.

First - Just try pushing down harder. Also, it is possible to push too hard and the pin will not budge.

Second - If this does not work put the punch on the pin and then slowly push down on the lanyard loop, when you hit the sweet spot it should pop out.

Interestingly, the only 92s I have had with roll pins were Italian ones. All of my American made pistols have the solid pins. I have converted my two Italian pistols from roll pins to the solid, dog bone shaped pins.

You’re right . It’s been awhile and I have it backwards . I corrected my post .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
Is it a USA made gun or an Italian ? Italian guns use a roll pin that is in real tight and a hammer is needed . The USA guns have a dog bone shaped solid pin that will practically fall out after you press in on the lanyard loop.
I replaced all of the roll pins with the dog bone solid pins which are available from Brownells for a couple of bucks .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
Nick knows what he is doing. The solid, dog bone pin really is a better option. Easier to remove and reinstall, as well as more durable.

The pins can be found at Brownell’s or Midwest Gun Works. This is such an easy and worthwhile upgrade. While you are at it you could try a lighter hammer spring.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Just checked and both guns were made in Italy. I thought about the possibility of pressing too hard, but I have to press down pretty hard to get the lanyard loop to move at all. So chances are that it is going too far. Unfortunately this is starting to turn out to have been a bad idea on my part. May have to start looking for a gunsmith.

posted Hide Post
You need to use a ROLL PIN punch. I learned this the hard way.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Didn't think about that but makes sense. Guess I need to look for a set.

Thanks

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interestingly, the only 92s I have had with roll pins were Italian ones. All of my American made pistols have the solid pins.
That's my experience as well.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Interestingly, the only 92s I have had with roll pins were Italian ones. All of my American made pistols have the solid pins.
That's my experience as well.

Me too, all Italians had the roll pins, US made always had dog bone pins that practically fell out. One thing I always do since you have the gun apart is to polish up the hammer strut, it's a stamped part and if you stone or file down the edges the spring will slide over it so much smoother. Probably anal...or all in my mind....that didn't sound right but still true.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I ordered a roll pin punch so when it shows up I will try again.

posted Hide Post
Keep us posted molachi and be sure to order a few dog bone solid pins.