SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best pistol for under 300$
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best pistol for under 300$ Login/Join 
Picture of Amurr
posted
What do you think?

My brother is looking for a cheap gun.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W Shield if we're talking new.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Shield would be tough to beat at that price.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Palmetto has Taurus 85 revolvers for two hundred, then rebated.

Three hundred is a tough price point, but a cheap tool is not a bargain. Buy good, pay once. Buy cheap, die with a junky handgun that fails in a gunfight.

For a little bit more, the field of options open up considerably.

Dont overlook a good used firearm. I've bought quite a few, used.

Ruger made some descent, albeit not compact, handguns that can be had for a good price, and a used Glock can usually be found for four hundred or so. Recoil gunworks has police tradeins for three fifty, as do aim surplus, and others.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
What's it for? I just checked Summit and it looks like he is out of the $279 gen 2 Glock 22's but he does have the gen 3 G22's for $309.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Police trade-in Glock 22s can be found for ~$300 and under. That'd be my first choice.

Next choice would be a used or PD trade-in S&W 3rd Gen. The more common models like a 5906 or 4006 can be occasionally found for under $300, though not as often as ~10 years ago.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To get a decent pistol, he'll have to go used and not 9mm. Also will probably have to go a bit more than $300. If he doesn't mind a small pistol, the Shield or LCP II are options.

Police trade in Glock .40
https://www.aimsurplus.com/pro....aspx?item=F1GLK22G3

I wouldn't buy SA Inc, but:
http://palmettostatearmory.com...s-w-xdm9384shce.html

This might fit the bill:
https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...ducts2.cfm/ID/116856

I would avoid the cheapo pistols (Taurus, Hi Point, KelTec, SCCY, et al) unless it's just a range toy.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’d check out Bersa or Kel-Tec .380’s or 9mm’s

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
My vote is for Walther PPS M2 9mm after the $100rebate.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
One can easily find a Ruger LCP II or a KAHR CW380 for under $300.
I'd take a Ruger or Kahr over a Keltec.
Although 380 ammo isn't as inexpensive as 9MM.

For $300, or a little more, I'd go for a used Glock.
Not much can go wrong with them..

$309 for a Gen 3 G22 is pretty good.
You can buy a G31 barrel for it and run 357sig for a little variety.

LEO Trade-In GEN 3 GLOCK 22 .40S&W Handgun

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LGS has new P250's in 40 S&W for $330ish. These have night sights. By the time you add shipping and a transfer fee I guess you would be looking at about $375 or so. I know that is a bit more than your upper limit but still a hell of a deal on a quality handgun.

link

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Used Glock used Sig 250 used Sig 2022 or a Bersa Thunder

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friends don't let friends touch keltecs.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Some nice used S&W 38 specials out there for under $300.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Springfield XDM 9 compact $379 new

https://gun.deals/product/spri...-rnd-379?mobile=true

Smith M&P 40 with night Sights $289 used

https://gun.deals/product/smit...ades-299?mobile=true

Springfield XD 45 $339 New

https://gun.deals/product/spri...tone-339?mobile=true

Beretta Nano 9mm $208 after rebate new

https://gun.deals/product/bere...de-28315?mobile=true

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll say it. SAR makes one heck of a nice CZ 75 clone for as little as 239.00. Even takes the low cost CT mags.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I'll say it. SAR makes one heck of a nice CZ 75 clone for as little as 239.00. Even takes the low cost CT mags.

If you are into carrying cocked and locked maybe. No decocker.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
My vote is for Walther PPS M2 9mm after the $100rebate.

Rebate was done Sept 15.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
What do you think?

My brother is looking for a cheap gun.

Really need more details as to what the pistol is going to be used for.

As mentioned S&W Shield would be a great choice for new if a smaller pistol is wanted.

For a full size pistol the Walther Creed is getting a lot of praise from those that own one or have tried one and usually can be found around $300. Others ones at or near $300 would be the Ruger 9E or the S&W SD9VE.

I agree on used Glocks too as a possibility if he would consider used.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Friends don't let friends touch keltecs.

Roll Eyes

There’s gotta be one in every crowd. I doubt you’ve ever owned one, am I correct?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post