SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Would you spend over a $1000 for pistol you might never shoot?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you spend over a $1000 for pistol you might never shoot? Login/Join 
posted
So my brother who knows almost nothing about guns calls me up. They have friend, female friend of his wife, who is moving back to China. She has a gun that she wants to sell. Her brother gave it to her when she moved over in 1994 to keep her safe.
So my brother brings it over to the house.
First thing I see it is a older Colt cardboard box. On the end of the box I can read Python. Eek
Then I see the 6" marked on the box and the N for Nickel. Big Grin
I was just handed a 1979 Colt Python 6" Nickel,
unfired in the box.

So would you buy it and how much would you offer.
I need to find a book value, no a Gunbroker
price.

My first pistol I ever purchased was a Colt Trooper MrkIII in Nickel

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bottom is going to fall out on the Python market with the release of the new one. I saw it happen to the Delta Elites a few years ago.

I would suggest using the retail price of the new one as a guide and offering accordingly. If a grand is agreeable to both parties, go for it.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you spend over a $1000 for pistol you might never shoot?

No.

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have spent that more than once, and probably will again. Given the opportunity to by another Python, I'd probably jump.

Oh, and just for reference, about 2 years ago I had a prewar S&W M1926 target handed to me. Not perfect, but much better than I deserved. He wanted me to sell him some grips. Then he balked at the $200 price tag. So I asked him if he'd sell it. I started at $2000 but quit at $3500, telling him (lying) that was all I had with me. He only hesitated for a few seconds and took it. We both went away happy. Well, me very happy. It doesn't meet the critera because I still plan on shooting it.

I handed it to David Carroll. I thought incorrectly that they'd made 80 some odd of them. He corrected me by saying no, only about 46. Condition was still great enough. Then the issue of it not having the right grips. I'm what you call decisive when I see a gun I just have to have. This was one. I found my grips from another vendor at the next gun show. Nearly perfect prewar magna's. Those cost me about $600 more. So that makes it $4100 for a gun I haven't shot.

I look at it differently than the OP here. I'd pay more for a gun I don't plan on shooting.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... If it was me, I would offer $750. They pocket the cash and you get the snake.
And then I would shoot it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If the Python is your second best option for self defense and you are poor, no. If you already have good self defense guns and can afford to enjoy buying a representation of a time and place of american excellence, yes. Yes. And pay $1,000.00. Art is art.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you spend over a $1000 for pistol you might never shoot?  Login/Join  
bearstarr
posted January 21, 2020 09:40 PM

In a heartbeat.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Yes I have and yes I would again for a mint Python.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I have , and I would take that Colt in a heat beat .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Yes, I just bought one recently and will do so again.

Two of my grail guns are a King Cobra and an older Python. I got the King Cobra a few months ago and it's a 1993 bright stainless NIB. I can't bring myself to shoot it and paid over $1,000 for it and will do the same when I finally get the Python as well.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
That would easily sell for 3500 around here.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It’s easily a $2500 gun from what I’ve seen. I wouldn’t buy one for that much (I’ve never been able to fall in love with the Pythons I’ve owned), but there are plenty of people who do.

If she is aware of the value of the gun and offers to sell it for a discounted price I think that’s nice of her. I would hope that my sister had enough sense to investigate values before getting taken advantage of.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I have/would.

I'd make a realistic offer if I was interested. I'm not in the mindset of trying to rip someone off with a stupid low offer.

Obviously, they don't know much about guns and came to you for your knowledge/expertise. Dropping a stupid low offer in an attempt to rip them off just wouldn't sit well with me.

Tell them what your research shows it is worth, tell them new Pythons are on the market (thus having the possibility of reducing the future value), make them a real offer if you are interested.

It is a $3000+ gun.

If she is moving back to China, I doubt she would want to deal with trying to sell it outright, and would just sell it for a good offer.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yes I have.

Multiple times.

Recently.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Yes sir.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Do it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd sure as hell buy it for $1000.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not me. Though I certainly can and do appreciate the art within such a mechanical device, that appreciation is not satisfying to me without use.

The same holds for cars, bikes, etc.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't, even if it was a steal, unless I intended to flip it.

Then again: I probably wouldn't get that gun for $1,000 if it was worth $2,500 to $3,500, as some here are suggesting, being as I'd feel obligated to inform the owner of its true value.

If the owner stood on the $1,000, I'd buy it and flip it for its true value.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I would but it would have to be some historical piece like a WW1 1911 or something like that.

But more than likely I’d shoot it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post