SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Would you spend over a $1000 for pistol you might never shoot?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you spend over a $1000 for pistol you might never shoot? Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bottom is going to fall out on the Python market with the release of the new one.

my first thought as well, but now I think the difference of an "original" vs. new production will probably keep prices up for quite some time.

depending on the price regardless of price, if I had the coin to pay fair market value, I"d definitely go for it - shooter or not.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
The bottom is going to fall out on the Python market with the release of the new one.

I’m not so sure about that. If the new Pythons are equivalent quality-wise, I agree with you. If not, their value could actually increase by creating more demand for the old Pythons.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3971 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve paid over $5000 for a gun I’ve never shot. I’d buy a python for $1000 everyday.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
All day and twice on Sunday. I have an entire collection of things I never shoot. Some guns I shoot all the time. To me, owning it is enough.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Nope, I shoot everything I buy.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I do not own a safe queen, never will.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I cannot own a gun that I do not or will not shoot. But, that's just me.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I probably would I'm sure.
I was left an unfired Python and Cobra from my cousin(also my Godfather)after he died. Both are still unfired and covered in long term storage oil.
When I look at them from time to time, I get the urge to shoot them but I haven't yet.
If I didn't have a Python, I'd pay 1K anytime. Whether I'd shoot it is another question.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sure

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually wouldn't. Not that I ever bought a $1,000.00 pistol. It's not that I wouldn't but I don't have that luxury for now. With that said, an original Nickel Python at that price would probably change my mind. It will be interesting to know if the newer models will change the prices of older ones, but a nickel plated one, I don't think it will make a difference. I would imagine the nickel would hold it's value.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Two nights ago I came ever so close to spending $3k on a pistol I would very rarely shoot. Big Grin

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
If he's willing to part with it for $1k, even after you tell him it's probably worth at least twice that, maybe more, then why are we still having this conversation?

Buy it. Now. If you decide it was dumb decision, call 'em and offer right of first refusal. If they decline, put it on Gunbroker and let someone who's losing their minds over the new Python "not being a Python" give you five grand for it.

Like, that's not even a decision, man! Big Grin

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
quote:

my first thought as well, but now I think the difference of an "original" vs. new production will probably keep prices up for quite some time.

depending on the price regardless of price, if I had the coin to pay fair market value, I"d definitely go for it - shooter or not.

Starting with the value of a new Python is probably good advice.

Values on original Pythons are open for debate. There have been people on this forum who, without ever handling a new one, have been quick to point out that Colt's changes mean "it's not a real Python."

There will always be people willing to pay a premium for a "real" whatever.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TikritTourist
posted Hide Post
The OP asked about spending money on a gun he'd "never shoot", but what about shooting it sparingly?
Enjoy it once in a blue moon, clean and oil it thoroughly, and enjoy it!

Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.
- Samurai maxim

Posts: 753 | Location: Northeast US | Registered: August 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did it once, never again.

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 125 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 3153 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
Not me. As others have stated, no safe queens for me. If I was the revolver type, I would certainly get the Python, but it would certainly get shot.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nope. I'm a shooter, not a collector, although I occasionally have to remind myself of that Big Grin. While I'd love to own a Python, there are other guns that do the same thing for me for a lot less money, and I'd rather have something I can take to the range. I don't have the disposable income to sink into items that are just going to take up space in my safe.

Posts: 8592 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely I would. If I was a collector. First off, 1000 dollars isn’t even a lot of gun money anymore. I just bought a USP Expert 45 last night. With tax and tags it will be an even grand. Now would I buy the 1897 manufacture Colt Peacemaker he also was selling for 4750 knowing full well it would never really see daylight? Nope.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you guys really think these things are going to hold value in the face of the "new" Python? I have a really hard time seeing it. Reviews of the new Python, although best taken with a grain of salt, have been positive, particularly regarding improvements to the action (no stacking like the old ones). As many of you will likely recall, the popularity of the gun was jump-started by its prominent Placement in The Walking Dead almost ten years ago now. Anybody interested in the gun because of that is not going to care whether it's an old gun or a new gun. I think the used Python market is in for a rude awakening.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post