SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Summer Carry Solution: New J-Frame!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer Carry Solution: New J-Frame! Login/Join 
Picture of Billy346
posted
So, I've been considering a gun for pocket carry, and after thinking long and hard, decided on one of these:

It fits nicely in my pants pocket with a Galco pocket holster. (Although in slim fitting jeans, someone might ask me if I have a revolver in my pocket or if I'm happy to see them.) Which is okay, because during the summer, I tend to wear more loose fitting khaki pants anyways.

I've been pondering a 642 Airweight for a while,but what really sealed it today was this:

That's right. No Hillary Hole, and new in box. I guess Smith wisely decided not to include these on the J-Frames anymore.

Either way, I was surprised by how easily and naturally the little Smith sticks to my hand and points where I want it to go. The trigger is nice and smooth too.

I'm excited to get it to the shooting range. I've never shot a J-Frame, but I hear they are a bit of a "noisy cricket". (For those of you who have seen Men in Black). I'll let you guys know how it goes.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
They are snappy little guns, especially with +p. I carried a 442 for a long time, so nice for summer carry. Most often with exercise shorts and no belt.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Model 36 decades ago - nice CCW but the hammer was a pain - this hammerless would be much better, especially with the Pachmayer-style neoprene grip.
That was the problem with the Model 36 - had to put a set of 'banana grips' on it to get enough fingers for a good hold.
I'd imagine running +P's thru it would be a handful.

Posts: 62 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There's a very good chance it will work, if you need it. Unlike my Glock 42. Wink

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Yea, they came out with the no-lock guns a few years ago, I know of the 442 and the 642. I've got a 442 Cool

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never found a small 9mm that wouldn't print in a pocket but the J frame just disappears in there. It also carries well on a belt.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are two versions currently available, with and without the lock. The no-lock versions are the 642-1/442-1, the lock versions are the 642-2/442-2. A 642-1 is my EDC. They can be a handful, but can be managed by most, with practice, proper load selection, and, if necessary, aftermarket grips.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I carry one as a BUG, but in the summer time if my attire dictates a certain mode of carry, the 642 disappears quite nicely in a pocket holster.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice, mine is on duty ~~40% of the time.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 869 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hi-power man:
Excellent choice, mine is on duty ~~40% of the time.

That is sweet, what is the grip devise mounted on that bad boy?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its one of my favorite S&W pocket revolvers..problem only is that "enameled"or painted looking finish on alloy frame doesnt stand up with hard use, EDC and contact with sweat and will eventually fade, flake and wear off..If not for the weight Il go for an all stainless model..I dont know what they call this smooth finish..

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:

That is sweet, what is the grip devise mounted on that bad boy?

That looks like a Tyler T grip.
http://www.t-grips.com

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never knew a 642 was made with a square butt.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice. I carried a 642 as a BUG and off duty carry for years. 135 gr gold dot worked very well in our testing. The recoil is stiff, but not super punishing. I REALLY like the Crimson Trace laser grips on the 642.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Good choice IMHO. We have several 642s in the extended family, couple are the no locks. I carried a 640 as a second weapon for years. Wife bought a 642 no lock for her job. Both retired now, and I admit to carrying the 642 now due to the lighter weight, about 7 oz. less than the 640 IIRC. These have to be some of the most popular, current production, little guns on the planet.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
The wood grip is a Sile round to square butt conversion. Metal portion is a Tyler T. The two together give me a very stable hold.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 869 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
J frame fan

I have an old Centennial model 40 in my carry rotation,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you can get them without that infernal lock! That they offer both is good, for those that want the lock.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Same here. Not sure why more brutha's are reluctant to slip one in their pocket.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I have a M&P 340 (Scadium frame) that will handle .357 mags. I tried full house loads one.... it was painful! Shooting +P loads is no problem. I also took the cylinder to TK Custom and had it cut for moon clips. Moon clips are faster to load than using speed loaders (with practice of course). Great front pocket gun.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post