SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Requesting Opinions re .22 LR Pistols
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Requesting Opinions re .22 LR Pistols Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The two best options in my opinion are either the Ruger Mk?? series...or the Browning Buckmark in .22LR. My father has had a Ruger for decades..reliable, accurate, well built. I have had a Buckmark for years...same...there are slight differences but what you get with both is reliability, accuracy, ease of operation. I use mine to dispatch animals in traps, carry on tractor to try and shoot big field rats when turning fields....and to teach others how to shoot a hand gun. My wife is quite accurate out to 20 yds with it...soon she will be ready to move up to a 32 or maybe 40.
There may be others prettier, more expensive or with more exotic engineering....but if you want something that has stood the test of time...look at one of these two classics.

Posts: 64 | Registered: July 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted January 27, 2021 08:48 AM Hide Post

The two best options in my opinion are either the Ruger Mk?? series or the Browning Buckmark . . . if you want something that has stood the test of time look at one of these two classics.
That is pretty much what I have decided. Now, to determine what is available for purchase, new or used, and if both are equally available, need to decide which I prefer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want it for training, just get the .22 conversion for your SIG. You'll be using the same frame and trigger

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger? Browning? Pfft. I'm going to take a stand with the alternative: S&W.

For a training tool I don't think there's a better pistol than the M&P22, either full size or the compact. Extremely reliable and mimics the form factor of a centerfire poly 9 to a T. Much more satisfying in that regard than my SR22 or choke-happy P22 from Walther (though I admit since its redesign as a 3/4-scale PPQ lookalike, it's not quite as bad as its first go-around version).

As DA revolvers go, I vote for the M617. Yeah Ruger now has the GP100 in .22LR and I've been a huge fan of that frame in .357MAG, but there's just something close to perfection with sculpting of a K-frame S&W. Powder puff shooter with all of that stainless behind it.

As for target .22s, one of the fugliest pistol designs is also one of the best: S&W Victory. I put it above my Buck Mark and right out of the box it has a far sweeter trigger than the MkIV. My threaded Victory just works and works and works, and has been darn near flawless (we are talking about sometimes ornery and cantankerous.22LR, after all). And unlike my Buck Mark Hunter, it won't occasionally choke on CCI Mini-Mags (for heaven's sake, of ALL of the .22LR ammo available to have stoppages with...).

Then of course there's the M41. I passed on a couple of them a while back and I've kind of been regretting it ever since. I let imperfections in their bluing get in the way (they ARE four-figure guns, after all) when I've often suppressed that side of the analysis process. Oh well. Last week I had the chance to shoot a couple belonging to a customer, and now I think that I'm hooked. Another customer showing me how I should spend my money...

Side note: Not everything groovy in my range bag is stamped S&W; I also enjoy my Wrangler quite a lot. Relatively inexpensive and one heck of a fun firearm. Perfect for those 'Black Bart' (or 'Wild Bill') moments while on a budget on the range.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the .22's too. Over the years I've had a cpl of Ruger Standards, both the original and a Mkll, that I really liked. Triggers on these are not Bulleye competition ready but make great plinking guns & have the accuracy to make them fun. An inch at 25 yds with ammo they liked was no problem from rest back when I had the eyes to get good sight alignment. They'd be my #1 choice for informal targets and plinking.

As understudies for my centerfire guns, I've had a number of 1911 uppers in .22lr: Ciener, Marvel, and Colt all worked well and the first two would do for Bullseye competition with iron sights until you get to master level. The trick with them is to keep the bolt faces and chambers CLEAN. For my guns that meant a quick brush out every 50 rounds or so and a pull through with a bore snake. The Colt unit, with the old sliding chamber design, needed dry lube on the chamber part to maintain reliability, but had better sights than the first two.

For guilt edged accuracy, my Smith M41 is without equal. I was lucky early on (back in the '70's) to find a field weight barrel to augment my 5-1/2" heavy target barrel. It made the gun a walkabout success. For targets and competition, the 5-1/2" was the one that worked best for me but the field bbl. cuts a cpl of oz's off the weight. I also had a Colt Woodsman with the 4-1/2" competition bbl. that shot as well as the M41 Smith, but the more slanted grip didn't give me the scores that I got with the Smith and I gave the gun to one of my sons.

For big gun understudy, I've had good luck with a Sig's Xchange caliber unit in .22lr for my P226 Mk25. When new shooters come out, it's always the favorite...and the adj. sights make it easy to zero in. As an understudy, it's ok I guess, but recoil recovery is a big part of learning to shoot an automatic and a .22 lr just doesn't fulfill that part of the training.

Lastly, it doesn't have to be an auto for plinking or 'kit gun' use...if you're looking for fun and want to learn revolver shooting, one of Ruger's excellent Single Sixes is a great gun for most any casual shooting and will give you accuracy that'll surprise.

For DA shooting and learning the mechanics of that fascinating part of revolver shooting, nothing beats a K frame Smith. I like the M18, as an understudy for my M66 & 19 Smiths. With it's 4" bbl., it's an accurate, classy belt gun for day hikes. Accuracy rivals the M41 too. A second choice of about the same weight is Colt's Diamondback. I have one with a 4" bbl. that's fun, classy with that vent rib, but not as accurate as the Smith M18. It has a decent trigger, nowhere near the Smith's, but its DA trigger stacks like all the Colts, and just can't compare to even a run of the mill Smith right out of the box.

HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I have Ruger MKI to MKIV pistols. I have a Browning Buckmark that I used in competition. I have a Sig Mosquito (not recommended) along with a couple Ruger single action .22s. My best pistol is the Browning. Granted, I have many thousand rounds through it and the trigger has worn in to be very smooth.

My recommendation is a Browning Buckmark Target!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
posted January 27, 2021 08:48 AM Hide Post

The two best options in my opinion are either the Ruger Mk?? series or the Browning Buckmark . . . if you want something that has stood the test of time look at one of these two classics.
That is pretty much what I have decided. Now, to determine what is available for purchase, new or used, and if both are equally available, need to decide which I prefer.

In case you are still looking this might be of interest to you.
CDNN shows this in stock.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/fir...o-bull-ufx-22lr.html

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V-tail, I'm not sure if you ever fly into the DFW area but if you do I live close to a very nice indoor range and you'd be welcome to meet me there and try most of the pistols above if you'd like........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

V-tail, I'm not sure if you ever fly into the DFW area but if you do I live close to a very nice indoor range and you'd be welcome to meet me there and try most of the pistols above if you'd like.
Thank you for the offer. It's not at all likely that I will be in your area, but I do appreciate it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pasound
posted Hide Post
I've had a Ruger MKII bull barrel for nearly 30 years. I can chase pop cans across the range at any point I could see them. Had my local gunsmith put a rail on mine two years ago, after I got my eyes fixed, and installed a Romeo5. Got the accuracy back, but the extra weight was a problem. Recently switched it for a Sightron reflex. Holds it's POA, and I'm hoping it lasts. Still bounces the cans. Any ammo.

Old, stubborn, heavily armed.

Posts: 27 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: January 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure why, but I have not even seen the Beretta M9-22 mentioned in this thread. I have several of the 92/96 variants and the M9-22 fits right in with them. I can take virtually any of my larger caliber Berettas be it a 92 or even a PX4 Storm to the range with my 22 and the mechanics of shooting them is all nearly identical.
I have been very fortunate in that I have had VERY few feeding issues and I am not that discriminating on my choice of ammo. That can sometimes be a major issue with some of the aforementioned 22's.
I also have one of the Ruger 22/45's and have absolutely nothing negative to say about it. It is reliable, fun to shoot and as accurate as anything I own.
For me and purely from a personal preference stand point, I love my M9-22 and would not hesitate one bit to recommend it to a friend.
LaMont in AZ

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:

OK, V-tail, lots of opinions here so tell us what you decide (or decided).
Decided on Ruger Mark IV 22/45 with 4" barrel, wutg Ruger model # 40xxx. These are the steel pistols.

The model numbers in the 43xxx range are aluminum alloy; I would rather have the steel.

Now the big question is where to find one.

If anybody has a lead on one of these, new or used, please let me know, email address is in my profile.

I will buy outright, or I can offer a Seecamp .32 in trade.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger MK II Govt Target that is fantastic. I have a S&W 617 w/6” barrel that is 10 shot revolver fun! I have a Beretta 87 Target that is Italian rimfire magic.

Missing but on my rimfire pistol want list is a S&W 41 and a Beretta 89.

I can recommend any of these.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:

OK, V-tail, lots of opinions here so tell us what you decide (or decided).
Decided on Ruger Mark IV 22/45 with 4" barrel, wutg Ruger model # 40xxx. These are the steel pistols.

The model numbers in the 43xxx range are aluminum alloy; I would rather have the steel.

Now the big question is where to find one.

If anybody has a lead on one of these, new or used, please let me know, email address is in my profile.

I will buy outright, or I can offer a Seecamp .32 in trade.

Congratulations, you'll love the Ruger.

One of my friends recently bought a Ruger 22/45 Tactical and he's in love with it. His silencer came in a couple weeks ago as well. What a sweet, and quiet, tack driver.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I found a local store that had the Mark IV 22/45 in stock. Went there, looked at the pistol, was ready to buy it, then spotted another Ruger. GP100 revolver in .22, sort of similar to the S&W 617.

Fondled both the Mark IV and the GP100. Wanted them both, but budget would not allow that. The revolver was a better fit for my hand, so I grabbed it.

Next question: Speedloader(s). I see SpeedBeez and Ansac for this revolver. The Ansac costs a bit more. I have not found a local store that carries either, so it will be a blind online order. Does anybody have hands-on experience with either or both?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice score. The GP100 or SP101 in 22LR has been on my short list for a while. I missed out on an SP101 a few months back because I waited and it sold before I could get back to it. It seemed like a well made revolver, and in my experience they're fewer and further between than the semi-autos, so buying that one now and planning to get the Mk IV later was probably a good call.

I'm interested to hear how it shoots!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a SP101 in 22. Had to be sent back to mothership once but has been good since. Nice thing is that my Speed Beez speedloaders also fit my 8 shot S&W revolver my 317 (I believe, the really light 3 inch adjustable sight one). Bonus!

Thing to remember about 22 revolvers. The DA stroke is heavy. No way to really change that. Go lighter in springs you get misfires. So no real buttery smooth easy to pull trigger. That being said, love both 8 shot revolvers. I think the 10 shot versions are a bit big big for my taste. If they still make the 317 with adjustable sights it is about perfect. Then there is perfection.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I think you will always be able to get a MK4. I have to imagine the production of the revolver is much lower and that opportunity doesn't come as often.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It might be worth mentioning, for our members in the Orlando area who want to patronize a local store (they ship, too) -- this was my first and only encounter with GunXperts in Winter Park.

When I called them to inquire about stock, the gentleman who answered their phone was polite and informative, and was patient with my requests to repeat information that I did not catch immediately due to hearing aids.

When I arrived at the store, he was just as polite, considerate, and helpful, and very patient with my indecision about Mark IV vs. GP100.

He answered all my questions, and was low key and professional about the whole transaction.

The store prices were competitive, especially considering the current environment.

Based on a sample size of one phone call and one visit, I highly recommend this place. Their website is www.gunXperts.com.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים