SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Requesting Opinions re .22 LR Pistols
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Requesting Opinions re .22 LR Pistols Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I recently looked at CZ Kadet mags Eek
220 and 226 22lr conversion mags aren't any better.
I'm partial to the Ruger MKII 22/45 as they will have less additions to mess up the trigger.
Mags for the Beretta Neos (discontinued) are pretty cheap.

I wish I could get my hands on a Bersa 22 but again, it comes down to mags and I would want a few.

If you find a Ruger Standard or MKI (both take different mags) I would consider it but it seems everything it either getting rare or exorbitantly priced.

Good hunting.

Everyone should have a RR brace Smile

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Ruger MK IV. Super easy to field strip (finally), accurate and as dependable a .22LR as I've ever owned and I have quite a few of them.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had Browning Buckmark and Ruger MK2, MK3, and 23/45. All were great. The most fun I’ve had is with a cheap ($200) Kel Tec P17.
Looks like hell, shots like heaven. Fits my suppressor too!
You’ve got some real thinking to do, good luck!

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Find a Ruger MKII with a bull barrel. You grandkids will be shooting it, long after your gone.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I think it is hard to beat the Ruger and lots of other people here seem to think the same.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Hated my Walter P22. Love my Ruger SR22!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The Ruger MkIV is outstanding. I've shot the "Hunter" version.

If you want something more like a carry gun, I've enjoyed shooting a friend's Ruger SR22.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I like the S&W M&P Compact 22 a lot.

Me too!
I have read that the larger version is made by someone else and is not reliable.

S&W 41 if you can afford it.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like shooting all of my .22lr’s

what to get is difficult to say as you mention that you are all set with 9mm’s and 45’s and that you do not want to use up your ammo for these handguns.

So for a .22 pistol you can go 2 ways

Or you buy something that is similar to your other weapons so that shooting the .22 also aids you with the other pistol. A glock 44 if you own and or carry a glock or a sig sauer p226 in .22lr to go with your p228’s , a ...

Or you can chose something completely different if it supposed to be for fun and plinking and then it all comes down to your personal taste / preference for a certain brand / look

Posts: 19 | Registered: July 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Since you said semi-auto I would go for the S/w Victory22. Lots of up grades available. Since I have shot some 22s I would go for a S/W 617 ,10 shot with a 4 inch barrel and mount a red dot on it. You can pass it down to your grand children.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I've owned the Ruger Mk2 & 3 as well as the Browning Buckmark.
I decided to stick with the Mk3 as I had it just the way I wanted by removing the LCI and the mag disconnect. The Ruger gets a bad rap for its breakdown complications but after doing it a few times its got easier from doing it and also loosing up the parts.
Really all I so for service is keep the Bbl clean along with using a good carbon remover like Bore-Tech C4 Carbon remover after each range session and it functions good and looks clean.
Keeping my .22's clean was a chore before I discovered carbon remover cleaners and it sure makes life easier and more dependable when shooting cheap .22 ammo.
Really nothing wrong with the Buckmark I just preferred the Ruger.
Try to find and shoot several brands before buying to see which one fits you the best.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I like the S&W M&P Compact 22 a lot.

Agreed. If you want a service style pistol it’s tough to go wrong with this. It’s cheap (pre-covid at least) and mine had been completely reliable with all types of bulk pack and very little cleaning. It’s a great gun.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Buckmark that I'm very happy with.
I also really liked the Advantage Arms .22 conversion I had for a Glock 17.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Love my Beretta 87, have a Ruger MKIII Hunter I use off a bag, my kids and I both love my old school Beretta 70 (the one that had the fake silencer) though mags for that are hard to find. I just picked up a Taurus TX22 and did some upgrades from Tandemkross with their “everything” kit. The Taurus is the real deal, a nice compact size .22 with extended mag capacity of 21 and a decent trigger. My bearcat and single six are fun too when I am in no hurry. Love my .22s and they get exercised more these days. Heck, I even found some CCI Quiet for .10 cents a round a couple weeks back.

Editing to make clear - The beretta 87 I have is not the 87 Target (front counterweight). It is the stock Cheetah. Very nice .22, somewhat hard to find - picked mine up new a number of years ago when I got an alert in stock...they were gone in a few hours.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FlyingScot,

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really difficult to beat a Ruger Mark (I/II,III,IV), a Ruger SP101 or a Ruger GP100 in .22lr. They seem to accumulate quickly. Then add a Ruger 10/22 (accessorize at will) and a couple of Henry lever action rifles in 22lr and you may discover a completely new aspect of the sport.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TN Mark,

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had a Walter P22-shot it so much I cracked the slide.

My buddy the FFL used them (P22)in his CCW classes...after a few broke he switched to Ruger SR22.

I shot every 22 made by man and eventually settled on the Ruger MKIII 22/45......in fact I have two of them now. I replaced the barrels with the PacLite (Ruger now sells their guns with a lightweight copy of the PacLite) threaded.

The second place was the Browning Buckmark. But my buddy the FFL had the Ruger in Stock for me and the Browning was going to be a long wait.

I have shot thousands of rounds thru it/them. They eat everything, ammo wise.

I did remove the stupid magazine safety doo-dad, and the gun is much easier to strip, clean and reassemble now.

My friend at the PD had a MKII that he used for training and he lost count of how many rounds went thru it. He just sprayed it out with brake cleaner, blew it out and oiled it, and it keeps on shooting.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I like the Buckmark and Ruger Mk series.

They are accurate and reliable. Also, a huge advantage of these two firearms is the magazine and the availability of a magazine loader that loads magazines in about 2 seconds. I hate loading mags at the range, especially .22lr mags.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Ok Vtail I’m going to be that guy. Save up your pennies and buy a Beretta 87. ... .

You and FlyingScot love the Beretta 87.

Are you both talking about the true Beretta 87?

OR, are you referring to the Beretta 87 Target? I have no experience with the 87, but do have some with the 87Target.

V-Tail, You state that you are set for 9 and .45 pistols- What type?

I ask as I am not quite sure what you want.

Are you looking for a casual plinker? Or something with beer can bragging rights? Or something more target/competition, on a budget, related?

You do indicate cost is a factor. Yet, I don't know you, so I don't know how much is too much.

You have received some very insightful advice about handguns.

It all boils down to what you are trying to accomplish.
I wrote a heck of a lot, but realized it was unnecessary. PM me if you want to chat sometime over the weekend, for more play by play about different .22 options.

What you really need to do is to figure out:
How much can I spend.
What type of shooting do I want to use it for.
What 'look' makes me happiest.
What is my need for trigger pull/break/reset.
Do I have the ability to gunsmith things for myself, or do I need it to work great out of the box?

Once you have those ideas clear in your mind, you will be better able to make an informed decision.

For all-around use, I favor Buckmark and Ruger.

I'd give the nod to Buckmark if you never want to replace any part. I'd give the nod to Ruger if you were willing and able to upgrade parts down the road.

I will say this- I use about 200 rounds of .22 for every 50 rounds of anything else I shoot.

I don't shoot as often as I want [time, access to range, ammo shortages].

But, when I do, some .22 goes with me.

I am confident my accuracy is a result of this, as I saw a huge improvement after switching to more .22 and then some centerfire.

Whatever you pick- enjoy! They are fun.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My vote is for a Ruger Mark III even though the II is more popular... I have a III and it is the bees knees... for sure...

the one issue with these is the degree in industrial mechanics one needs to break the gun down and put it back together.... the secret is the internal hammer will not 'fall' in place and one needs a thin piece of metal to slip in and push it to the right place... My real solution so far is to just don't take it apart just keep spraying lube in the pistol... which I have done for the last couple thousand rounds....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
If you have an earlier Ruger, you can put a Majestic Arms Speed Strip kit in it. Makes field stripping simple and easy.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post