SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    ECD methods for low back injuries?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ECD methods for low back injuries? Login/Join 
Picture of mrtuna
posted
I need to find a new way to carry that doesn't depend upon a tight thick belt. I won't off body carry because I am around kids often and always want as much control as possible over my handgun. I live in Las Vegas so it gets way too hot for an old fashion leather shoulder holster. I pocket carried last hot season which helped. Of course with the high crime rate and gang activity I would prefer to carry a double stack but I will probably have to compromise. I have seen larger guys like myself getting away with carrying a Gcode Incog but I imagine a tight belt is still key. I have yet to find a decent kydex lightweight shoulder holster. Any ideas? I'm already carrying lightweight handguns except for the occasional training day. Maybe it's time for 2 small handguns? Lol! I know that we have people on this board who are very experienced and some of you may have gotten beaten up by life along the way like me.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not cool but buttpack? Carried in front almost as fast as a holster.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
What is your current belt?

IMO, a tight belt is not as important as having a stiff belt with enough integrity to hold up items without them sagging.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I too have a bad back that is irritated by a tight belt. I tried the shoulder holster and hated it. I tried ankle holster and couldn't reach it. I thought about a thigh holster but the wife said I didn't have the legs for wearing a skirt.

Then I found uBEE suspenders (two point) by Perry Suspenders. I wear the suspenders over a wife beater and under my untucked, cover shirt, usually Hawaiian, Polo, or sweatshirt. The suspenders help hold the belt up, so it doesn't need to be so tight when carrying IWB. The two point design does a better job of staying out of the way of my draw.

Tip - I wear the suspenders inside-out because I think the belt hooks hold better that way.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I too have a bad back that is irritated by a tight belt. I tried the shoulder holster and hated it. I tried ankle holster and couldn't reach it. I thought about a thigh holster but the wife said I didn't have the legs for wearing a skirt.

Then I found uBEE suspenders (two point) by Perry Suspenders. I wear the suspenders over a wife beater and under my untucked, cover shirt, usually Hawaiian, Polo, or sweatshirt. The suspenders help hold the belt up, so it doesn't need to be so tight when carrying IWB. The two point design does a better job of staying out of the way of my draw.

Tip - I wear the suspenders inside-out because I think the belt hooks hold better that way.

I use Wilderness Tactical riggers belts because they last forever and can be adjusted easily on the fly. I will make my own clothing before I would put on a waist pack. I will have to take a look at the suspenders again. I have periods where it gets worse and I start looking for alternatives. I need to find some because it's not going to go away. Just too many injuries stacked up over the years.

NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would vote to try the Perry Suspenders. Mine give me good support and are comfortable and durable.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I would vote to try the Perry Suspenders. Mine give me good support and are comfortable and durable.

I don't trust Yoopers lol! You guys are different Smile

NSSF Media Member

posted Hide Post
I have the GCode for my G-19.

I like the thing! you don't need that tight of a belt. The "J" hooks hook on to the bottom of the belt to prevent the holster from working it's way you when you draw the pistol. The belt doesn't need to be tight, you just need a belt.
Leather, Nylon, Canvas... just a belt.

I also like my Blade Techs. It's a IWB bikini type. I don't think they make that style any more, but it's close to the Phantom. The belt loops on the holster are easy to use and durable.

What kind of gun?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Have you considered one of the neoprene belly bands? I have the Comfort Tac that I use when running, and highly recommend it.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimat...keywords=comfort+tac

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Undertech Undercover has some shirts that work good for me in certain situations. Undershirts but they are comfortable for all day carry.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I have the GCode for my G-19.

I like the thing! you don't need that tight of a belt. The "J" hooks hook on to the bottom of the belt to prevent the holster from working it's way you when you draw the pistol. The belt doesn't need to be tight, you just need a belt.
Leather, Nylon, Canvas... just a belt.

I also like my Blade Techs. It's a IWB bikini type. I don't think they make that style any more, but it's close to the Phantom. The belt loops on the holster are easy to use and durable.

What kind of gun?

Thanks,
My buddies are rocking GCodes. I'm going to order one. I carry a P320 Compact or a S&W Shield.

NSSF Media Member

posted Hide Post
A j frame in each front pocket. You could also carry some reloads but I can't envision a civilian armed encounter that would not be resolved after ten shots

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
A j frame in each front pocket. You could also carry some reloads but I can't envision a civilian armed encounter that would not be resolved after ten shots

Thanks! I'm definitely looking into revolvers. I did pretty well with shorts and pocket carry last summer. Maybe a softer belt or suspenders to hold them up. I'm stuck in my ways so it's time to try some new methods out.
Thanks everyone for suggestions!

NSSF Media Member

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
get a pair of S&W 340s. one in each pocket. light, easy to carry, +P rated.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I'll carry a lightweight single stack 45 or 9 on my hip in an IWB. Capacity isn't a concern for me as I'll carry a heavier gun on my ankle.

My plan is shoot the IWB gun and then transition to the ankle gun if it gets that bad. If you figure a Glock 26 on your ankle with 13 round capacity and transition from the IWB gun you still have about twenty rounds total between the two.

I have a herniated L5 with a pinched sciatic nerve and can get buy with this comfortably.

The possibilities are endless. Two Glock 26's with 10 round mags still offer tremendous opportunities for me. Extra mags can be carried most anywhere.

Always two at least for me. Two is one and one is none...unless you are talking wives of course.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
Sometimes I'll carry a lightweight single stack 45 or 9 on my hip in an IWB. Capacity isn't a concern for me as I'll carry a heavier gun on my ankle.

My plan is shoot the IWB gun and then transition to the ankle gun if it gets that bad. If you figure a Glock 26 on your ankle with 13 round capacity and transition from the IWB gun you still have about twenty rounds total between the two.

I have a herniated L5 with a pinched sciatic nerve and can get buy with this comfortably.

The possibilities are endless. Two Glock 26's with 10 round mags still offer tremendous opportunities for me. Extra mags can be carried most anywhere.

Always two at least for me. Two is one and one is none...unless you are talking wives of course.

Good points. I pretty much always just carried one heavy double stack that was ultra reliable. Time to get creative. I really like the M&P Shield 45 and could add a second gun. Once wife is definitely enough Wink

NSSF Media Member

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I can relate to this topic.

I have pinched nerves, in my lower back. Here lately wearing an IWB right hand side puts pressure on my hip bone kinda hurting. I have abandoned any kydex holster, as their hardness increases the pain.

What doesn't hurt as much is a pancake style or holster or even an OWB hi ride holster. But a larger heavy belt does not bother me. I have not tried any "hybrid" style holsters, as they are similar to the holsters I already have chosen.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm a big proponent of pocket carry. There are a TON of light, thin 380's and 9mm's out there perfectly suited for a DeSantis Nemesis in a front pocket.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
In Summer, I sometimes wear a t shirt, shoulder holster and a light weight button shirt, worn open. Seems to work ok for me.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, appendix IWB was a back saver for me. Numerous back issues led me to the AIWB for my P220. This platform requires committed training and thick skin/sense of humor as numerous persons criticize the technique as an accident waiting to happen and a serious concern for your family jewels. In all seriousness, AIWB was great for my back; wish I had knew decades ago. However, in full disclosure, my only approved duty gun is now Glock so I no longer carry AIWB.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post