SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    accidental discharge with X-Compact
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

accidental discharge with X-Compact Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Could you have inadvertently 'pushed down' more on the frame rather than the slide, racking it even slightly as it was holstered? That combined with a holster designed for another platform may have contributed?

could be just remember pushing down as I always do with my P-Series. My real concern is maybe strikers are not for me. Called SIG CS , gun is going back with holster. Will see …..thanks guys I was more mad at myself for possibly mishandling a gun. Guys will never let me live this down.

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
In hind sight, the first part of my question probably doesn't apply due to the P320 being 'pre cocked' when a round is chambered.

Unless SIG determines the pistol is defective, the holster seems to be the leading factor. Glad you're not more seriously injured, pride aside.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am unclear if the repeated lateral test push on the trigger is done with the gun inserted in the holster or not. If the test lateral push causes the gun to fire when unholstered, it goes without saying something is wrong with the gun. If it does not fire when unholstered unless pulled to the rear, then it is the holster. IMHO the trigger guard indentation in the leather is catching on the trigger & pulling it rearward to the point of break & the lateral push on the flexible leather is the last bit of travel needed to fire the striker.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Any chance you could get a picture of the holster, specifically the molding around the trigger guard area, before it gets shipped out? My speculation is that the XD has a dingus to prevent discharging while being snagged from the side. The SIG PRO is holstered in double action, increasing trigger weight, making it harder to pull. The 320 has neither.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And people wonder why I say never use a holster unless it was specifically designed for that pistol.

“But it fits! All I have to do is-“ *BANG*

Ask Officer Jesse Paderez about shoving the wrong pistol in the wrong holster. Oh wait, he got killed by doing it.

Here’s a holster that’s probably similar:

Notice the leather in the trigger guard area is recessed into the trigger guard a bit. This is pretty common for retention. So if it’s not the right holster for your pistol, that is no different than pinching the sides of the trigger and pushing it rearward. Of course it’s gonna fire.

Maybe there’s something else wrong with your pistol. But my gut says the problem was user induced.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just tried my (unloaded) p320 in two different Sig Pro holsters. They were a Bianchi leather pancake and the other was a Blackhawk serpa. I'm surprised at how well the p320 fits in those holsters. In fact, I purchased a Don Hume P250/P320 holster that does not seem to fit as well as the holster for the Sig Pro! Eek

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
And people wonder why I say never use a holster unless it was specifically designed for that pistol.

“But it fits! All I have to do is-“ *BANG*

Ask Officer Jesse Paderez about shoving the wrong pistol in the wrong holster. Oh wait, he got killed by doing it.

Here’s a holster that’s probably similar:

Notice the leather in the trigger guard area is recessed into the trigger guard a bit. This is pretty common for retention. So if it’s not the right holster for your pistol, that is no different than pinching the sides of the trigger and pushing it rearward. Of course it’s gonna fire.

Maybe there’s something else wrong with your pistol. But my gut says the problem was user induced.

yep that is the holster and my best guess is your explanation. Lesson learned …..I was waiting to see if a security holster specific to the X-Compact ( I carry my 226 in a Safariland ALS holster) would be coming out. My error for using the Pro holster, but I will feel better if Sig checks the gun before I put it up for sale. If they rule out the gun , so much the better. OK lets let this thread die. Thanks to all on the forum. Glad it was just some flesh off the finger. Stuff happens and some of us do make mistakes..... Still a Sig guy just not going to go with striker fire, for me.

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still a Sig guy just not going to go with striker fire, for me.

When my daughter was born, I transitioned back to DA/SA because I felt the heavy first pull and exposed hammer gave me a wider safety margin in terms of administrative gun handling, which I am WAY MORE LIKELY to be doing then gun fighting. I have no issues with strikers and they are better in many ways but they are a little easier to make go bang that first time which is both a pro and a con for me.

Strikers are the way forward, they are reliable, easy to shoot and perfectly safe when handled properly (like 95% of firearms), they just are a little easier to bang off that first shot. Great when you need it, not so great when you don’t.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
When you get the holster back, could you repeat the test with your sigpro?

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by officerdave:
If they rule out the gun , so much the better. OK lets let this thread die.

officerdave I can understand your desire to let the thread die if it turns out the issue is a human error decision to use the wrong holster...no point kicking the proverbial dead horse, right?

But some of your posts are unclear as to the circumstances surrounding the issue and bring into question whether there is a safety issue with the gun's trigger. It would be helpful if you followed up and posted SIG's findings after they've had a chance to inspect the gun...I don't own one myself but we have many members who do own variants of the P320 and could be potentially affected by any safety issue found.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a side note, it's for reasons such as this that the "glock gadget" was developed for Glocks, and does permit riding the back of the slide with the thumb while reholstering, to prevent movement of the striker. It may not be as applicable with the Sig because while the Glock is "half-cocked," the Sig is "fully cocked," with less margin...but I suspect that someone with the drive to do it could come up with a similar safety feature.

I find myself riding the back of the slide into the holster with my thumb on the P320. There's no valid reason for that, except habit from autos with hammers. I expect a negligent discharge would probably break my thumb.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I find myself riding the back of the slide into the holster with my thumb on the P320. I expect a negligent discharge would probably break my thumb.

It has been shown that (if you were so inclined) you can hold pressure on the rear of the slide with your thumb while firing a round, and that pressure will be enough to prevent the slide from cycling without causing injury to your thumb.

You can do the same thing with something like an AK or other rifle with a reciprocating charging handle, by putting forward pressure on the charging handle with your hard/thumb, also without any injury.

This exercise is even demonstrated in some firearms training classes.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
I am unclear if the repeated lateral test push on the trigger is done with the gun inserted in the holster or not. If the test lateral push causes the gun to fire when unholstered, it goes without saying something is wrong with the gun. If it does not fire when unholstered unless pulled to the rear, then it is the holster. IMHO the trigger guard indentation in the leather is catching on the trigger & pulling it rearward to the point of break & the lateral push on the flexible leather is the last bit of travel needed to fire the striker.

Yeas I believe at least three asked that question and so far no response for some reason. IMO that would be great to know - did only sideways pressure on the the trigger outside of the holster cause the striker to release.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:

Yeas I believe at least three asked that question and so far no response for some reason. IMO that would be great to know - did only sideways pressure on the the trigger outside of the holster cause the striker to release.

Guys, the OP is under no obligation to put up with people being impatient or overbearing. On something like this, some things simply may never be known.

Be patient. I'm sure he'll share what information he learns.

If folks can't be patient and respectful, the thread will be locked.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever came of the “tab” triggers?

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:

Guys, the OP is under no obligation to put up with people being impatient or overbearing. On something like this, some things simply may never be known.

Be patient. I'm sure he'll share what information he learns.

If folks can't be patient and respectful, the thread will be locked.
I will post whatever Sig finds. I cant explain the trigger correctly. I don't want to give wrong info ,so lets wait for Sig. Human error and lack of familiarity with the weapon system, is where this will probably land.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sox:
Whatever came of the “tab” triggers?

It hurts sensitive fingers so it had to go on the P320.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

Got feedback from SIG. " Our Gunsmith found that your 320 meets all factory specifications " " The holster you included is the wrong one for that particular gun " So gun coming back to me. Tough lesson learned, cost me a day off, but a reminder that the correct gear is critical. thanks to all for your input.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, and thanks for being transparent and vulnerable in sharing this whole deal.

Takes a big person to own it like you did. Much respect to you. Valuable lessons learned. This can happen to anyone.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Thanks for the update, and thanks for being transparent and vulnerable in sharing this whole deal.

Takes a big person to own it like you did. Much respect to you. Valuable lessons learned. This can happen to anyone.

Indeed, the humility is truly appreciated.

Knowledge vs wisdom. Knowledge encompasses an understanding of and training with a firearm’s system and safe handling methods. Wisdom combines such with life’s experiences and anticipates / accepts that sh$% will happen.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post