SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Buckshot HD ammo choice question

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buckshot HD ammo choice question Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Pricing is the same so I am looking to see which version you would choose. This is HD ammo that I can purchase, I just need to make a decision.

00 Buck

1. Buck Flite 5 control 00 Buck 9 pellets;

2. Buck Flite 5 control 00 Buck 8 pellets;

SLUGS

1. Truball Slugs

2. Hydra-shok rifled slugs.

The slugs would mostly be used for things in the woods while camping but HD use is an option too.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Posts: 9350 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Not slugs, I would get the 8 pellet as the gun will recoil less. At house distances buckshot is pretty much slugs anyways. For camping have a few slugs laying around for if you are in bear country.

Posts: 8795 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Remington an Winchester buckshot. The Federal leaks the buffer material IME.

Check out the Winchester Segmented 12 gauge slug also.

Fragments into 3 pieces upon impact - cool concept. So you get the extended range of a slug but a multiple track wound pattern upon impact.

"Description:
This unique product offers law enforcement officers all of the advantages of a slug and buckshot. It eliminates the need for two different rounds—no more gauging of target distance and no cumbersome transitions during a critical incident. This greatly simplifies the shotgun platform, allowing one round to be used for all situations.

Unique Slug Design segments into 3 pieces when fired into bare, light cloth and heavy cloth covered ballistic gelatin. Slug segmentation causes multiple wound channels, increased trauma and greatly reduces over-penetration often associated with traditional slugs. Provides greater accuracy and a higher percentage of “point-of-aim to point-of-impact” versus that of buckshot. The segmenting slug does not become multiple projectiles until it enters the target."

Note - I am not referring to their other load that has 3 pellets and one large slug. Don't see that as a benefit.

------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 5430 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Winchester or S&B 9 pellet, whichever you get, go with low recoil.

When I had an HD shotgun in the lineup it used to have all 2-3/4" low recoil 9 pellet Winchester Super-X in the tube, and a 6 round sidesaddle with 3 rds of S&B 3" magnum 15 pellet buck and 3 rounds of Winchester Ranger 1oz slugs. This was a benelli with the mag disconnect on the forend so it made sense to have some options. Previously I had an 870 with the same tube load but 5 slugs on the sidesaddle.

Posts: 9919 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
For HD work, I prefer #1 or #4 buckshot. I've seen plenty of deer killed with both. Slugs would be my last choice.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 13045 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Winchester or S&B 9 pellet, whichever you get, go with low recoil...

I agree, that's what I have in my 870. S&B has the clear hulls so there's no doubt about what's in there.

I'm curious, what model do you have?

Posts: 11875 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Versa Max Tactical. I would prefer a shorter barrel but it's what I have for now.

Posts: 9350 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Whatever feeds in your gun because honestly I don't think it matters one bit.

Posts: 14128 | Location: A little box of pine on the 7:29 | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Whatever feeds in your gun because honestly I don't think it matters one bit.

Room distance I agree 100%.

If you are trying to achieve a certain pattern further out - 20-60 yds or whatever - it is wise to test them out.

------------------------

Posts: 5430 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I don't like flight control ammo for home defense. I prefer a bit of spread at home defense distances.

Since you are shooting semi auto, make sure they function in the gun, especially if you try low recoil rounds.

Posts: 3524 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I don't like flight control ammo for home defense. I prefer a bit of spread at home defense distances.

I agree. Flight Control is a great enhancement for some applications but for baseline HD I am not inclined to use it.

Plus - I don't like how the buffer material leaks out but that is another issue entirely...

-------------------------------------