SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    If you don't change out all your SD ammunition every 3 months ...?

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you don't change out all your SD ammunition every 3 months ...? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Do you insist on nickel plated cases to stave off erosion?
I am talking about ammo in magazines, in guns, in pocket holsters, in belt carriers, in speed loaders, etc.

It seems to me that brass cased cartridges in magazines or directly in leather carriers develop corrosion that makes them, well, *sticky*.

Posts: 11213 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
If you shoot off your SD ammo at least once a year, the brass cartridges shouldn't be a problem, unless your ammo gets wet, is exposed to high humudity, or is subject to large temperature swings. Leather carriers tend to retain moisture, hence the "stickyness"!

I have ammo stored in polymer mags that are great after a year or so. My hunting ammo, stored in a leather belt or buttstock harness need to be shot after the season. I call it "sighting in" for the next season!

Posts: 2963 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only time I've seen ammo develop the "Green Stuff" is brass revolver cartridges that were left in a leather gun belt for years. I haven't seen ammo in a mag corrode, but I use nylon or kydex pouches for long term storage and no longer own a leather revolver belt. Thats in the NY,KY, GA. Your milage will vary.
If you are worried about it, i'd recommend inspecting your rounds monthly or so. In general I keep my carry ammo for a year or so. I do try and rotate the chambered round.

Posts: 4220 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"wet, is exposed to high humudity, or is subject to large temperature swings. Leather carriers."
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
The only time I've seen ammo develop the "Green Stuff"

The word for the day is: verdigris.

And … wait for it ….

wait ….
Wait …

FLORIDA! Cool

Posts: 11213 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just curious but has anyone who didn't change out their ammo for a year or so ever had it to fail when you finally shot it up?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1313 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Just curious but has anyone who didn't change out their ammo for a year or so ever had it to fail when you finally shot it up?

I worried about that several years back when it occurred to me that I've had the same HST's and Gold Dots loaded for several years that got carried regularly.
I decided to freshen them up since that ammo was carried, rechambered, and sweated on quite a bit. It all performed 100%.
Since then I only rotate rounds that get chambered more than once and leave the rest alone.

Posts: 8886 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:

Thanks to a forum thread many years ago (and karma) I learned about case gages and their use. I first inspect and then gage every single defensive round before loaded into a magazine or cylinder. If a round has been previously chambered it is re-inspected and re-gaged before being relied upon.

My typical practice is to shoot my carry ammo once a year, but in the instances when I haven't been able to, but fired the rounds at a later date, I haven't had a single failure to fire or any stoppages, even with defensive rounds carried for several years.

Posts: 4990 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I carried the same J frame for over 5 years, with the gun in a leather holster, but the speed loaders pocket carried. I also have some speed strips in the suade leather ammo pouches. I've had the same 9mm loaded in my G26 for about three years. I rotate my ammo every two years or so, and I've never seen any corrosian on either the brass or nickle plated rounds.

Posts: 6547 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post