SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Low Flash ammo for home defense: How important?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low Flash ammo for home defense: How important? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
If most or many episodes happen in low light … do you emphatically select low flash loads for your handguns and long guns?

Which (edit) low flash cartridges/shells are your choice?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Hope it never happens BUT what ever is handy and the one I grab in what ever room I am in.
Just me and dogs and the darn things are all over the house.
Mostly JHP stuff unless it a shot gun and that be #3 buck

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
From handguns, the training ammunition I’m familiar with (commercial reloads and Blazer aluminum, mostly), the muzzle flash can be significant enough to briefly obscure a target just barely seen in low light or even illuminated with a flashlight. I’ve never had any problem getting back and reacquiring the target, but it could be a detriment in a defensive situation.

With an AR-15 and military type ammunition (Lake City and IMI M193), the ordinary A2 flash suppressor does what it’s designed to, and I’ve never felt handicapped by the flash. Perhaps there’s some flash suppressant in the power that helps, but on the other hand from SBRs the muzzle flash with the same ammunition is literally awesome.

The best thing if at all possible would be to try the ammunition you’re considering under actual low light conditions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post