SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Spyderco has completely replaced Benchmade for me
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spyderco has completely replaced Benchmade for me Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have been a big Spyderco fan for years. My first was an Endura back when it first came out with the molded in pocket clip. Over time the Military became my favorite. Here is some of my collection.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9355 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nice collection! Yeah, I like my various Spydercos, but once I got a Military, it instantly became my favorite.

There's a Vallotton for sale locally that I've been incredibly tempted to pick up. If it's still available, I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on it this weekend.

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a Spyderco knife in my father's safe. It is an ATS-55 4" serrated folder made in Japan. My mother gave it to my son for helping her around the house with some chores.

Posts: 6830 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sold all my Benchmades going back to 1999, saved only one, a classic, beautiful knife... 710 M2 HS, straight edge, coated, my favorite knife of all time.

Spyderco, thirteen miles away, has replaced Benchmade. My EDC's...

MANIX 2 CF S90V
PM2 S30V
SAGE 2 Ti S30V

All three Spydercos, phenomenal knives!

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr_Black
posted Hide Post
I saw this post and decided to go check out the latest offerings on Spyderco's website. I used to carry an early Delica (plastic molded clip) back in the 90's.

I discovered their pretty generous OpFocus program that offers a 50% discount (off MSRP) to military, first responders, medical professionals, and veterans. I picked up a new Delica for $60 (50% off their $120 MSRP) which is still less than what you normally find one for in store.

https://www.spyderco.com/resources/op-focus/

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 880 | Location: NW PA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Black:
I saw this post and decided to go check out the latest offerings on Spyderco's website. I used to carry an early Delica (plastic molded clip) back in the 90's.

I discovered their pretty generous OpFocus program that offers a 50% discount (off MSRP) to military, first responders, medical professionals, and veterans. I picked up a new Delica for $60 (50% off their $120 MSRP) which is still less than what you normally find one for in store.

I snagged this one with the OpFocus discount on Wednesday. I think it will go well with my McBees, which are my main blades at work since they have to be less than 2.5".

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So as I continue my “Spyderco journey” I have to say one thing I am impressed with is how involved both Sal and Eric are with the community. They reply to various forum posts, provide insight to design decisions, offer help with issues and just generally come across as real enthusiasts willing to discuss, agree, disagree and just be a part of the community.

That is impressive to me as so many large companies (good and bad) are simply corporate giants nothing more nothing less.

Reminds me of the CEO of Dan Wesson reaching out to somebody with an issue years back over a holiday.

It’s amazing how far being a human can go whether you agree with them or their answer/justification for this or that.

Not sure why I posted this other than to reaffirm I am still very happy with my switch to Spyderco.

That said I still love my Benchmade Northforks. Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7615 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I may have missed some, but here are the Spydercos I have added since the group pic of 11/5/2010. If you are a Spyderco fan, enjoy.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9355 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
New backspacer finally arrived after being lost in transit for three weeks.
But I’ve been needing something to rekindle my interest in my DLT Sprint run M390 PM2

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn grumpy. We need to be friends. Lol

Posts: 7324 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Damn grumpy. We need to be friends. Lol

Swing by , I still have a few cases of OctoberFest to share !
SandyHook taught me a valuable lesson in never being caught short again.
So I stocked up on ammo , buying one case a month for two years (5.56 , 9mm or .300blk).
Bought & built so many ARs that I’m now selling some off as I prepare for retirement.
So when this latest “Panic” set in I didn’t need anything & decided to shift my monthly gun funds into knives.
Kinda fun researching, hunting , buying & accessorizing them.
I’d neglected buying a decent knife for a long time.
Best thing is there is no shortages on knives.
No panic in that category so it’s been a nice refuge from the “sky is falling / panic buying” folks.

I’m still waiting for a few shipments from Australia & Russia to arrive with hardware sets & custom scales.

I’ve seen some custom scales for the Shaman that I think I’m going to get & sell these Jade g10s

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve done similar in the past. Spyderco got me into knife collecting but I became a huge BM fan. My collection is heavy in BM. I hate their gun cutting/political donation nonsense. I still like their designs. Zero Tolerance has become interesting to me the last few years. Flippers are fun. My fixed blades are overwhelmingly Busse. I was into them for years. Which is good because I think their best stuff was their older stuff. Most offerings today don’t really trip my interest. Show me some old school snakeskin though and I’m in.

Posts: 7324 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:
quote:

I snagged this one with the OpFocus discount on Wednesday. I think it will go well with my McBees, which are my main blades at work since they have to be less than 2.5".

I also bought a Pochi a few weeks ago to compliment my McBee’s. It’s a cool little novelty knife, with a wicked sharp blade. Unfortunately these have been known to suffer from lock bar issues and sure enough mine did so I sent it back. You may want to test yours to see if you can push the lock bar over more with ease when it’s locked up. It shouldn’t budge, but a bunch of them I guess are out of spec. One person made a video of it where he simply worked the lock bar loose by moving the blade up and down when open. Hopefully Spyderco gets it right as when the next batch is out if they are GTG I’d like to replace the one I sent back.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
What model Spyderco is this Benchmade Stryker lookin' jobber?

Posts: 21031 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
What model Spyderco is this Benchmade Stryker lookin' jobber?

Spyderco Starmate

Posts: 1995 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Long discontinued I see. There is one on Amazon, but at $265 I will have to pass. (most on Ebay are even higher)

Posts: 21031 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:
quote:

I also bought a Pochi a few weeks ago to compliment my McBee’s. It’s a cool little novelty knife, with a wicked sharp blade. Unfortunately these have been known to suffer from lock bar issues and sure enough mine did so I sent it back. You may want to test yours to see if you can push the lock bar over more with ease when it’s locked up. It shouldn’t budge, but a bunch of them I guess are out of spec. One person made a video of it where he simply worked the lock bar loose by moving the blade up and down when open. Hopefully Spyderco gets it right as when the next batch is out if they are GTG I’d like to replace the one I sent back.

Mine has the same issue. I sent it back to Spyderco and called a few days ago to follow-up since they got it 28DEC. They accused me of messing with the knife saying the screws were rounded and there were fingerprints inside the scales. When I called BS on this the representative backpedaled and said maybe it happened at the place where I bought it. Well, it came directly from you Spyderco.

I received this knife new from Spyderco, took a few photos, then put it in a box. There it sat until I someone on BladeForums posted about the issues with it. I saw mine had the same issue, shot the linked video, then sent the knife to Spyderco. I never adjusted screws or took it apart because none of that was going to fix this issue. Any issues with this knife happened in Spyderco's factory or outlet store and I’m tracking at least four other knives with the same issue.

I really did not appreciate the tone of this interaction at all and it’s not the first time I’ve had such an experience with them. Their service via phone or email is terrible. I lived in Colorado for a few years. If you go to the factory store they’re very nice and helpful.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
It’s a bummer they were not easy to deal with at first. I’ve never needed to call them, but have heard decent things. Hope it gets worked out for you. I just sent mine back to Amazon as that’s where I got it.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
Tools for the past couple of weeks...

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 220 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The new BladeHQ Exclusive Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Tanto in M4 steel & Jade g10 arrived yesterday.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%