SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Wife is the Smartest Person in the World
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Wife is the Smartest Person in the World Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Just remember to bite your tongue instead of saying something that will just make you feel better. It doesn't sound like anyone is listening to anything of substance anyway.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one lesson I learned early as a young adult is the DMV is the devil and just play their game and stay out of trouble. Guess what ? Unpaid Tickets eventually turn into warrants and you will get pulled over eventually at the most inoppurtune time and you will then go to jail. So despite the pain involved take a morning off school or work whatever suck it up and go get your car made legal.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
If the car is still in his fathers name, the police won't have his warrants come back to him. If his father does, then running the plates will turn up hot and he'll start to get punished for the fathers sins. Smile Its what we call a shit show. It could easily take weeks resolve at hundreds per week. No way around it. I assume the "kid" has issues with his father, too. The step kids I've known that show irresponsibility have more problems just under the surface.

My suggestion...take the wife out to a nice dinner. No matter how difficult, don't discuss the child. Just enjoy the life you have. His and his fathers is worse, much worse.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Her son got his car towed for not registering it (after owning it for two years).

And it's my fault for explaining why he needs the title (which he lost) to get it registered and out of impound.

Problem is that one way or another you're going to be the one paying.

As in paying the money and having the kid pay you back. Like that will ever happen.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Her son got his car towed for not registering it (after owning it for two years).

And it's my fault for explaining why he needs the title (which he lost) to get it registered and out of impound.

Let me guess. Did you offer that bit of information without being asked directly as to what it would take get the car registered and out of impound? If so, it is your fault.

How long have you been married to your wife and you don't know this yet?

If your wife says her son has a problem and describes the problem, the right response isn't to tell her what needs to be done. That's wrong. The right response is to emphatize and to say something like, "Oh, gee. That's too bad." And you just keep paying attention to her with sympathetic eyes.

If she asks you what can be done about it, DO NOT answer. It's a trap. Ask, "What does he want to happen?" Only if she says he would like to get the car registered and out of impound, do you give the answer. Otherwise, any solution you give is premature and it will be your fault.

At every step, remember ATFQ and no more. That's Answer The Fucking Question.

If you want to help her ask you the right question, lead her by asking questions yourself, not by answering.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
^ Wise man Smile

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
This is going to be an expensive lesson. And even more expensive if he lost the title before transferring it into his name, which wouldn't surprise me since he never registered it.

$300 towing + $45 per day (it's been there since Sunday night) + the three or four tickets (which he admits to) for out of date registration + two years worth late fees.

I wish I had that much money to burn.

I predict that, yes, you do. And will.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

(His dad and I tend to agree on this one as I told the kid back then he needed to register it and get the title in his name. "But why, nothing's going to happen, everyone knows my dad sold it to me" attitude.

That turns out to have been wrong.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

Let me guess. Did you offer that bit of information without being asked directly as to what it would take get the car registered and out of impound? If so, it is your fault.

If your wife says her son has a problem and describes the problem, the right response isn't to tell her what needs to be done. That's wrong. The right response is to emphatize and to say something like, "Oh, gee. That's too bad." And you just keep paying attention to her with sympathetic eyes.

If she asks you what can be done about it, DO NOT answer. It's a trap. Ask, "What does he want to happen?" Only if she says he would like to get the car registered and out of impound, do you give the answer. Otherwise, any solution you give is premature and it will be your fault.

If you want to help her ask you the right question, lead her by asking questions yourself, not by answering.

Some of the best advice I've ever heard in regards to discussing problems with women.

As others have said, this is going to be an expensive lesson for the kid. It is probably going to be cheaper to let them keep it and get another cheap car. If he did everything TODAY he's still probably looking at $750+ when it's said and done.

Sucks you have to deal with it. That attitude in a person pisses me off more than any other single trait (referring to the kid's attitude, not your wife's).

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Alternatively, "I respectfully refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me"

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Damnit, I need you on speed dial. Big Grin

She was complaining how the DMV wouldn't allow him to [finally] register the car in his name without the title or DMV Bill of Sale form. That's when I opened my mouth. Frown

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alternatively, "I respectfully refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me the couch is lumpy"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
quote:
quote:

Some of the best advice I've ever heard in regards to discussing problems with women.

Agreed! "Uncle Hub", is that you? Big Grin

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
quote:
quote:

As others have said, this is going to be an expensive lesson for the kid. It is probably going to be cheaper to let them keep it and get another cheap car. If he did everything TODAY he's still probably looking at $750+ when it's said and done.

Sucks you have to deal with it. That attitude in a person pisses me off more than any other single trait (referring to the kid's attitude, not your wife's).

No it won't. His MOM will pay for it. Guaranteed. That is why he has that nonchalant attitude towards responsibility to begin with.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Good grief, that sounds exhausting.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:

That's how it is for us dudes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
This whole situation sucks and I feel for you as you made an accurate assessment that was not well received.

HOWEVER

You need to change the title of this thread as quickly as possible. If she were to stumble upon it, your previous transgression will look like a little water spilled in the garden.

Just my humble opinion.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:

That's how it is for us dudes.

Yes.

Implementing elaborate protocols to work around the irrationality and inability to communicate of overly emotional crazy people you can't completely avoid is *horribly* exhausting.

My wife is not like that. She is a gem. But I *have* had to ZCP people who were like that, just for my own sanity and well being.

You'd be shocked how many men I've known who willingly worked third shift for years, even decades, just to avoid the drama storms that always surrounded their wives.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Stupid me... I read 3/4s of the way thru before I figured out that the title to the thread is somewhat sarcastic. (It IS somewhat sarcastic, no?)

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post