SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt on your watermelon?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt on your watermelon? Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
Last night my wife asked for a piece of my watermelon and she spit it out after realizing it had salt on it.

Got my wondering who here likes it naked vs salt?

Question:
Do you salt or not?

Choices:
Yes
No

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
There should be an option "Not only no, but hell NO!"

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
In my family, on my dad and I do. I don't salt much else though.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I like salt on canteloupe.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You betcha. Salt the watermelon and pepper the cantaloupe.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Salt on watermelon is just sick. When I was a child I could never understand my relatives that put salt on watermelon. They must have a very serious maladjustment?

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
it's a Southern thing, isn't it?

I like salt on most things and use too much of it, but that sounds disgusting.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Not sure how to vote on this one.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Hell yes.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
French Dressing. Just kidding. The locals here put French Dressing on their pizza and ketchup on their hot dogs. Salt on watermelon is as bad a pouring peanuts in your Doctor Pepper.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question:
Do you salt or not?

Heck no...

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
I'll eat it either way, but I always hit it with a little salt if I'm home.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
That used to be quite common around here.

I have fond memories of a watermelon patch along the highway to Houston, probably between Schulenberg and Columbus. At first it was just a small place to pull off the road, park and enjoy cold watermelon. Then there as a small wooden stand, which was gradually expanded, then became a walk-in sit down air-conditioned building, with sawdust floors. In all these changes always salt shakers!

It got even fancier before I-10 came through, and poof, that was that!

We were encouraged to consume salt. Salt tablets are football practice, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I generally think salt ruins watermelon, then one day I was eating potato chips with my watermelon. Now I kind of get it.

Potato chips goes better with watermelon than salt.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Gross. Salt does not belong on ripe fruit Eek

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I love salt on my watermelon and green apples.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. Enhances the sweetness! Especially if the melon isn't perfectly ripe.

Only way I get it any more is supermarket watermelon, which is on a par with comparing Buttwiper to actual beer.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Hell yes and that goes for tomatoes cantaloupes and cucumbers also.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gutpile Charlie:
Salt on watermelon is just sick. When I was a child I could never understand my relatives that put salt on watermelon. They must have a very serious maladjustment?

Agreed. I am very open-minded about most things related to food.

This is one that I completely fail to understand.

On tomatoes, for sure. Not on sweet fruits.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
You betcha. Salt the watermelon and pepper the cantaloupe.

Never tried the former but the latter is standard.

Pepper is good on muskmelon as well.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post