SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EDC Flashlight <$100
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EDC Flashlight <$100 Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Been wanting to add an edc light for a while & just never got around to it.

Want something compact, bright & long battery life
<$100

Click on/off with 1/2 press (momentary the right word?) on would be nice.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I hate to be the first reply and also gloss right over your user interface requirement at the same time, but if you're flexible on a more complicated UI I think the Emisar D4V2 is the best EDC on the planet right now.

If you aren't open to a more complicated UI, ignore my suggestion because the light will definitely frustrate you for sure.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
A PD or LD version of a Fenix is awfully good imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P250UA5

Do you have any specifics in a flashlight such as Rechargeable, Single or Double A battery etc..?

I am normally a Streamlight type of guy but i have been branching out and trying Pelican, Fenix and Olight.

The pelican I am using right now is the 2350 powered by a single A battery.

The Fenix is the LD22

I bought an Olight from a forum member and I am getting used to it. I am thinking of getting the Olight EDC Best LED Flashlight S2 Cree XM-L2 950 Lumens for $36 off amazon to complement it.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not opposed to an internal / rechargeable battery
Would prefer a common battery (AA/AAA) over a 'specialty' battery, if not going with an internal/recharge option.

The Olight i5T looks like a decent option on 'paper'.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Surefire Stiletto

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a streamlight polytac x for work to replace my old TK11 that's starting to flake out. It's lightweight, decently bright with a strong beam and wide throw, uses (and came with) a rechargeable 18650 battery, and was very reasonably priced (under $60). The tail switch can be used for momentary on or clicked to constant on. It's actually brighter than my LED stinger DS, and way lighter...I've been thinking about getting a second one to replace the stinger (I carry two lights on duty) and shave some weight off my belt...the only thing I'll miss is the dual-switch.

I don't edc a light off-duty on a regular basis, but often do when I'm camping, travelling long distance, or working on something around the house. While slightly larger than many edc lights, I find the polytac to be small enough to fit easily into a normal sized pocket, and it's light weight makes it very easy to carry.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
For EDC I go with streamlight rechargeables. Either Microstream or Macrostream.

The Microstream AAA is also a good option.

Options are damned near endless. I’ve had about all the flavors, but for simplicity and not crying for losing one, the Microstreams are hard to beat.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Streamlight 1L-1aa or Protac 90. Runs on AA, CR123, AAA and rechargeables of those. Good light. Interface can be tailored to your needs and they are inexpensive.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This has been my EDC light for a while. It does everything I need in a pocket light.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/...Xj7FpuPkq-3MH6gzDcBs

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For years I carried the Streamlight 88033 ProTac 2AA 250 Lumen Professional Tactical Flashlight with High/Low/Strobe as one of my back up lights to my Streamlight SL-20.

It held up well and took a real beating. I also took it to Afghanistan to see how well it would do and for seven months + it performed great. I mostly used it in the dark for PMCSing my MRAP and mine roller, but it went on every patrol whether i was driving, gunning or dismount.

It runs about $35-$38.

The only negative is that it is a little long.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are wanting something with a forward clicky tail switch that takes AA primaries.
AA lights in general are becoming less popular but here are a few I like for 1xAA with rear clicky.

Eagletac D25A MK II
Lumintop Tool AA 2.0
Lumintop EDC AA

If you don't mind something a little heavier check out the Klarus E1.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
A PD or LD version of a Fenix is awfully good imho.

Those are great EDC light options. Of the two, the LD line are the ones that use "standard" AA batteries, but they're not quite as good as the PD line which use "nonstandard" CR123As.

So my recommendation for the OP would actually be a Fenix UC35. It's a PD35, but with an internal USB rechargeable battery instead of CR123As. Best of both worlds, with the PD's excellent size-to-feature value without having to stock CR123As.

https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-R...anizer/dp/B07CRN1YBH

However, stocking CR123As actually isn't that big of a hurdle any more. They're widely available online for relatively cheap (~$1/each), and are even easy to find at places like Lowes and Home Depot at slightly higher than online prices. They're no longer really considered "specialty batteries", since so many items use them nowadays.

It's not like it was 15-20 years ago, where if you didn't want to order them online you had to go to a camera store and pay $8 a pop for them, if they had them.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Hard to go wrong with the PD36R. Personally, I own a E03, E30R, and 2 PD35TAC.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/...argeable-flashlight/

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Hard to go wrong with the PD36R. Personally, I own a E03, E30R, and 2 PD35TAC.

This is what I was about suggest.

Excellent light.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I always reply the same.

Fenix brand:

PD32 for actual daily use and need for bright light. Uses 18650s or CR123. Needs investment in batts, charger, and/or 123's which are semi common.

LD12 uses standard AA, but to get brighter light or longer life uses 14500s with the same need to get lithium batts/charger. This would be best for occasional use or 3-4 times a week for half an hour or so.

If you are not actually using it daily, and just carrying it, I'd go with the LD12 as it's much smaller. Also it's bright enough for just about anything, but if you want it to be able to search the woods for hours at night, go with the PD32 bigger brother. If you want one step brighter and can deal with a slightly larger body (3/8" or so longer), go with PD35TAC.

PD32/35, three batts, and charger should set you back just a bit over $100, but <$150. No need for battery purchases for years to 5+ years depending on usage. LD12 plus LiIon batts/charger, will be right at $100.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
When I read “EDC light” I’m thinking of something small and simple. That’s why I made my recommendations above. I currently carry or have carried some of the others mentioned for work, and some are bigger than I’d want to put into a jeans pocket. I think of an EDC as a AAA or AA sized light.

OP, you have any tighter specifications?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Pocket carry, likely with/alongside a Kershaw Chive/Scallion, so slimmer is better.
May later look into a car-carry light.

Reading the suggestions here, battery is less of an issue than I was thinking it would be, as long as it's not some oddball 'specialty' unobtainium/proprietary piece.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
When I read “EDC light” I’m thinking of something small and simple. That’s why I made my recommendations above. I currently carry or have carried some of the others mentioned for work, and some are bigger than I’d want to put into a jeans pocket. I think of an EDC as a AAA or AA sized light.

OP, you have any tighter specifications?

This was my thought as well. That's why I mentioned the Fenix E12 V2 for everyday pocket carry. I have most of the other Fenix lights mentioned as I'm addicted to them. 9 or 10 at last count.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You should really consider an 18650 or 21700 cell light. Longer run times, brighter lights, and rechargeable means the light can always be topped. 18650 and 21700 batteries are really common now.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post