SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cyclist struck on Natchez Trace
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cyclist struck on Natchez Trace Login/Join 
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
It's annoying that other cyclists are claiming bikes have "full lane rights" at this National Park Parkway in comment threads. In reality, the safety rules for the parkway state...

quote:
Know that the Parkway's lanes are narrower than normal roadways and that the road has little to no shoulder for most of the route. ...

Watch for bicyclists as they have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists. Share the road and give at least 3 feet of space when passing. ...

The above is for the cars to note. Here is what the bike riders are told...

quote:
Ride single-file and on the right (with traffic) at all times. Use hand signals to let motorists know what you will be doing next.

No, they do not have "full lane rights." They even double down with the same ride single file statement on a bicycling page.

Of course, the guy taking off after hitting him is totally unacceptable.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Unreal. Honestly though, those guys didn't seem the slightest bit concerned for their responsibility to be civil. and I say that AS a cyclist. When we ride, if we so much as "hear" tires coming, we yell car back, and we single file tight on the white line. We make it easy to coexist with cars, because we ride the same areas over and over. We need to be civil and friendly. It's best for everyone.

We also ride VERY early in rural areas. We do this so we're not out in any traffic to speak of. Sometimes go hours without a car.

This was a terrible act. And it was absolutely wrong. But they're not innocent here either. These guys ignored the cars, and were at least rude, if not something more,.. like passive-agressive pricks.

Yeah, but I would bet that most of the cyclists there will play the victim card and continue riding like douchebags. . .

quote:
I ride yet hate cyclists, go figure.

I know EXACTLY where you are coming from.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Don't cycle as much as I used to, but on the rural roads where I liv and ride, I would be riding on the edge of pavement, and some cars would try to see how close to my handlebar they could get when passing...and not meeting any cars.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
"University School of Nashville's dean, Marshall Grant Neely III, 58 was taken into custody Saturday evening after hitting cyclist Tyler Noe, 23."

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Bicycles on roadways intended for automobiles are a nuisance and a safety hazard. Don't even get me started on the self-righteous attitude of cyclists I encounter.

Just go find some park walkway to pedal your widdle bikey, or confine it to your own neighborhood. Bicycles have no business whatesoever on the same roads as automobiles and you can bet your bottom dollar that plenty of drivers feel like I do about this.

It makes no sense to have recreational riders who have no crash protection of any kind on the same roads as multi-ton vehicles. Ridiculous. Get off the freakin' road.

You can't accelerate like a car, you can't brake like a car, and if there's a serious crash, you're dead. You're very difficult to see at times and your presence on the roadway is sporadic and unpredictable. Get off the road, for everyones sake.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I see leaving the scene of an accident at most. And that will be a stretch to actually win at trial.

I don't see anything to sustain the "attempted murder" or even assault BS from earlier in the thread. When bicyclists play stupid games, they sometimes win stupid prizes.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
You can hear those two laughing and then the truck blaring it's horn. Guessing they were holding up quite the parade.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
The dumbass was occupying the entire lane. They should have been single file.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
You can hear those two laughing and then the truck blaring it's horn. Guessing they were holding up quite the parade.
And yet, we have the youtube video, shot by these yahoos, in all their righteous indignation.

Uh huh. It surely seems like the cyclists thought that their fragility was their shield. No one would dare ht them, would they? Actually, yes, they would. But oh, it's so wrong, even though the cyclists started this shit. Bad driver, evil car driver. Puh-leeze. Real life has a way of correcting assumptions.

Get off the road. Go find a park to peddle your widdle bikey.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
.. like passive-agressive pricks.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Bicycles on roadways intended for automobiles are a nuisance and a saftety hazard.

These pretty much sum up my feelings on the subject.

As a young man I logged thousands of miles on my bicycle, mostly on shitty two-laners with no shoulder. I always rode as far off to the side of the road as possible (often off the pavement when vehicles were around). Having been hit by a car as a youngster, the one thing I learned is that I never want to be hit again.

I won't defend the Volvo driver (if it was intentional) but this cyclist is an entitled asshole of the highest order, and hopefully he learned a very valuable lesson. Physics works, and the Law of Gross Tonnage always favors the vehicle.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I was a cyclist for 15 years during the 80's and 90's. I logged about 150 miles a week not including competitions and charity rides. I have been hit by two vehicles over the years. Both times I was in the right of way, but both times I was being selfish and aggressive. This rider may have been allowed to occupy the lane as any other vehicle, but he was being selfish and stupid to do so. From my death defying experience, he go off easy that he could stand up after being hit. No reconstructive surgery, no teeth missing etc.

What did he expect? That he could block faster traffic doing 7 mph for who knows how long? Imagine yourself behind these punks enjoying their activity at the expense of everyone else all the while they are engaged in jolly conversation ignoring the desires of others. The fact is that they were on bikes is incidental to the core of the conflict. Had these knuckleheads been in a car and travelling 7 mph for who knows how long it would have been just as ignorant and selfish. The bikes just made them stupid. It doesn't matter if you have the right of way if you are inherently vulnerable. That is how I was wiped out by a semi truck while riding down the canyon. I got to walk home with a broken bike and bloody body that day......and I thanked my lucky stars.

Tangentially, I was nursed back to health by the nubile that lived down the hall who saw me banged up and struggling to get into my apartment. She was.......really attentive. Big Grin

For the record, the Volvo driver should face charges.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure where in Virginia you live, but a lot of places around my parts ban or frown upon cycling on sidewalks. Sure you have rails to trails paths that are asphalted and fairly wide, but with most sidewalks vs. roads, it comes down to difference in speed.

I live a couple miles south of Manassas. And the biking, walking trails are as I described them. Wide, asphalted, miles long. With plenty of stop signs on the bike trail where it crosses roads.

OTOH, my grandson rides up to 30 miles and all on road shoulders. He also gets a number of flat tires from all the shit laying there. Never on the bike trail.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I'm a cyclist. Guy shouldn't have been hit but tandem riding with a car behind on a double yellow line while uphill is being an ass.

I am a cyclist too and I agree with you. Riding tandem is illegal in many places and just incredibly stupid and arrogant.

I am a life long cyclist, both road and mountain, and the guys in the video were complete assholes. It wouldn't surprise me that there were other cars lined up behind them, waiting for a chance to pass. To me, there is no excuse in riding in any other configuration than single file on a street.

When I ride on the street (becoming more of a rarer activity), I give complete respect for cars, out of courtesy and self preservation. Because of this, I have really never came across any troubles whatsoever.

quote:
Don't even get me started on the self-righteous attitude of cyclists I encounter.

Cyclists as a lobby group are the most arrogant, self-entitled pricks around, look at the shit they cause with Critical Mass protests and similar.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bicycles on roadways intended for automobiles are a nuisance and a safety hazard. Don't even get me started on the self-righteous attitude of cyclists I encounter.

Just go find some park walkway to pedal your widdle bikey, or confine it to your own neighborhood. Bicycles have no business whatesoever on the same roads as automobiles and you can bet your bottom dollar that plenty of drivers feel like I do about this.

It makes no sense to have recreational riders who have no crash protection of any kind on the same roads as multi-ton vehicles. Ridiculous. Get off the freakin' road.

You can't accelerate like a car, you can't brake like a car, and if there's a serious crash, you're dead. You're very difficult to see at times and your presence on the roadway is sporadic and unpredictable. Get off the road, for everyones sake.

Agreed. I'm all for it if cyclists are required to run license plates, get tags and yearly inspections, have road insurance, basically everything drivers are required to have. Then LEO's can start ticketing them for impeding traffic, running traffic lights and stops signs, failing to yield right of way. I've ridden bicycles for decades and the only time I've ridden on the same roads as cars is late at night, as a kid, when there was zero traffic. I burn more calories but riding a mtb and having to hop curbs, take sidewalks, got into the grass, dirt, etc.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I bet the Volvo driving asshole supported Hillary.

"an administrator of a private school in Nashville has been charged." You are probably right about the Volvo driver being a Hillary supporter. According to the National Park Service, 58-year-old Marshall Grant Neely III was booked into the Williamson County Detention Center on Saturday night, where he is charged with reckless endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to immediately notify of an accident, and failure to render aid. Federal charges could be pending.

Neely was the Dean of Students at University School of Nashville and has been placed on a leave of absence after his arrest in connection with the incident.

According to an arrest report, Neely said a man and woman were standing in the road and threw the bicycle at his car."

"Roughly eight miles south of the bridge, there are a number of signs posted that say bikers may use the full lane. But that did not stop the incident from happening."

http://wkrn.com/2017/07/08/cyc...n-williamson-county/

http://wkrn.com/2017/07/08/cyc...n-williamson-county/

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, locked

I tell you guys over and over and over to not interject politics into apolitical threads. I call out this behavior in this thread, and what happens? Someone quotes the guy and continues on with the political shit!!!!!!!!

I think that maybe for the next week or two, I'm just going to lock threads with no warning when you guys needlessly interject politics.

There is no valid reason why Hillary Clinton's name should have shown up in this thread. None. Cut it out