SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cyclist struck on Natchez Trace
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cyclist struck on Natchez Trace Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter if the driver did it intentionally. He struck the rider and left the scene. That's called hit and run. I'm glad the cyclist is okay. In that situation I would have gone single file. I usually insist on roads with a decent shoulder.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I bet the Volvo driving asshole supported Hillary.

The legal system needs to sodomize him until he thinks he's been fucked by a freight train.

I rather like your choice of punishment, hope the bastard (or bitch) bleeds for a month and then gets herpes, hep C, Hep B, HIV, and a boatload of genital warts.

I don't care if a bicyclist is blocking the road, if it pisses you off sound your horn until his ears ring. Flat out someone being an ass is not justification for running him over.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Here's a news story about the video.

I hope the guy gets years in jail for that the rider is insanely lucky. That is one of many reasons I don't ride in the road. I don't care if it's "allowed", I'm not risking my life.

Would really like to see the entire video. The two are talking, then there's a horn and the truck passes. Wonder how many cars were behind them? Then "bicyclists are allowed to use the full lane of traffic to ride in when necessary. Federal regulations require bicyclists to ride single file, and riders are encouraged to move to the right to allow for vehicles to pass," No excuse for running someone down but how did this develop?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brminpin:
This guy obviously did this on purpose

Interesting. I didn't see anything obvious in regards to intent.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Here's a news story about the video.

I hope the guy gets years in jail for that the rider is insanely lucky. That is one of many reasons I don't ride in the road. I don't care if it's "allowed", I'm not risking my life.

Would really like to see the entire video. The two are talking, then there's a horn and the truck passes. Wonder how many cars were behind them? Then "bicyclists are allowed to use the full lane of traffic to ride in when necessary. Federal regulations require bicyclists to ride single file, and riders are encouraged to move to the right to allow for vehicles to pass," No excuse for running someone down but how did this develop?

Exactly. I'm a road cyclist and admit that a lot of cyclists interpret right of way as this is my road. Cyclists should single file on the right third of the lane when there is traffic. It allows motorists to pass and still allow 3' from cyclist. Tandem riders with traffic behind are asses.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
You got would have to be a complete idiot to intentionally damage your own car, a nice car, and potentially kill someone just because you don't like that they are sharing the roadway.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
Also a cyclist.

Should the cyclist have been blocking the road - no.

Did that justify assault w/ a deadly weapon/attempted murder - also no.

I hope they throw the book at the driver.

That's a little much to call it attempted murder, or even assault. Looks more like he misjudged it. He should have stopped. Get him for fleeing the scene.

There is a d***head cycling group around here that does it pretty regular. They asked me to ride with them. I politely declined.

Got a shitload of bike riders around here that ride 2&3 abreast on the highways. Speed limit on one is 55, another in our neighborhood is posted at 50.

I ride a bike for exercise, I do NOT ride on the road. They have miles of asphalted bike and running trails, at least 5 feet wide wherever I have ridden.

How about charges against the bike rider?

Glad the rider was not hurt, but his conduct did not assure him that nothing would happen.

Not sure where in Virginia you live, but a lot of places around my parts ban or frown upon cycling on sidewalks. Sure you have rails to trails paths that are asphalted and fairly wide, but with most sidewalks vs. roads, it comes down to difference in speed.

On a bike doing 15-20 mph, I'm moving up to 7 times the speed of a pedestrian doing around 3 mph. If I hit a kid that didn't think 180 lbs of bike + rider was coming around the corner, it's going to be a really bad day for the kid. And if you want a comparison we can all get on board with, I'm carrying about 3000 joules of energy, or about the same as a 7.62 x 51mm round Smile

I'd much rather risk my life riding on the road than risk a pedestrian's or child's life on the sidewalk.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Some people are mentally unbalanced with anger issues. Some of those people drive cars. Some are not excessively tolerant of bicyclists. These drivers are cocooned in thousand of pounds of steel. Bicyclists are not.

Given the above, it would appear unwise to torment possibly crazy, angry people by blocking the whole lane needlessly.

Deserving death? No. But deserves got nothing to do with it.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a cyclist. Guy shouldn't have been hit but tandem riding with a car behind on a double yellow line while uphill is being an ass.

Yep, some cyclists are just assholes. Not saying they deserve to get hit but when you take up the road like that, someone hitting you intentionally or accidentally seems to be a consequence they should be prepared to face.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I don't know but I'd like to know why the fuck they didn't stop afterwards. I ride a lot, 3-4 times a week and this type of nonsense scares the shit out of me.

I ride frequently and I do not ride on the street unless it's in a residential neighborhood. I typically just ride the many trails we have around here, though.

I'm not as concerned with someone intentionally hitting me as much as I'm concerned about some idiot busy texting instead of paying attention to the road just to swerve and wipe me out.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a cyclist. Guy shouldn't have been hit but tandem riding with a car behind on a double yellow line while uphill is being an ass.

I am a cyclist too and I agree with you. Riding tandem is illegal in many places and just incredibly stupid and arrogant.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The driver is like, "oh shit, they had a go-pro......"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
On a rural 2 lane road, tractors, busses,pets, bicyclists are all going to be there. Wait for a good spot, pass and go on. No live and let live with this driver.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I was reading the thread form my tablet, and only saw the video, but none if the reporting.

I have seen situations where it takes a few more seconds than the 7 seconds after the collision before someone can safely stop, hence, my asking/posing my reply.

Given charges and other information, and if the person deliberately hit the cyclist, and also failed to stop, then fry 'em.

I was only asking as I did not have any other information, and the "news" nowadays seems intent on gaining "hits", rather than reporting facts, and many people seem to have the same agenda when posting the videos they record.

Sad, that so many use and abuse situations to further an agenda.

I ask questions because I want the truth. And no matter what, the truth is what I want to base my "buttwhipping" or "defending" upon the facts. Even if it means "my team" loses.

#tiredoffakenews

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
Also a cyclist.

Should the cyclist have been blocking the road - no.

Did that justify assault w/ a deadly weapon/attempted murder - also no.

I hope they throw the book at the driver.

That's a little much to call it attempted murder, or even assault. Looks more like he misjudged it. He should have stopped. Get him for fleeing the scene.

There is a d***head cycling group around here that does it pretty regular. They asked me to ride with them. I politely declined.

Got a shitload of bike riders around here that ride 2&3 abreast on the highways. Speed limit on one is 55, another in our neighborhood is posted at 50.

I ride a bike for exercise, I do NOT ride on the road. They have miles of asphalted bike and running trails, at least 5 feet wide wherever I have ridden.

How about charges against the bike rider?

Glad the rider was not hurt, but his conduct did not assure him that nothing would happen.

Not sure where in Virginia you live, but a lot of places around my parts ban or frown upon cycling on sidewalks. Sure you have rails to trails paths that are asphalted and fairly wide, but with most sidewalks vs. roads, it comes down to difference in speed.

On a bike doing 15-20 mph, I'm moving up to 7 times the speed of a pedestrian doing around 3 mph. If I hit a kid that didn't think 180 lbs of bike + rider was coming around the corner, it's going to be a really bad day for the kid. And if you want a comparison we can all get on board with, I'm carrying about 3000 joules of energy, or about the same as a 7.62 x 51mm round Smile

I'd much rather risk my life riding on the road than risk a pedestrian's or child's life on the sidewalk.

As far as I know, it's not illegal to ride bike on sidewalks where I live. Could be wrong? When on a sidewalk I give pedestrians the right of way, and don't ride like a bat out of hell. I ride a mountain bike to W&OD to trail (1.1 mi from my house). I also stop at those weird red octagon shaped things with "STOP" written on them at the intersection of roads. I wish those signs weren't so ambiguous so others knew what to do when they approached them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I used to ride that same part of the Trace 3-4 times a week. There is no shoulder on any part of it. People get up to all kind of stupid shit messing with cyclists - passing way too close (when unnecessary), throwing shit, etc. The speed limit on that section is 40MPH.

But too many cyclists try to play "I own the road" on a hilly, curvy 2 lane blacktop that, while it IS a scenic parkway, is also the best way to get from A to B for a LOT of people and does get a fair bit of traffic at times. Laws of physics will always trump traffic laws and militant bicyclists.

The hit looked intentional to me. There was no reason for the volvo not to be in the left lane, you can clearly see there is no oncoming traffic and he doesnt even look to have let off the gas when he hit the bicycle. I hope they throw the book at him.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Report This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
It varies by city and county as far as I understand. I believe Arlington, for example, really discourages it.

Regarding the video, any single lane road that's 45 mph or greater without a shoulder is a deathtrap for cyclists. I do my best to avoid them, and never ride tandem when I have no choice. That's just self-preservation.

And so what if they catch and convict the driver? The cyclist is injured and may never fully recover and the bike is trashed resulting in thousands of dollars in damage. Of course the driver is at fault for hitting the cyclist but this is a classic case of "risk miscalculation" or more colloquially, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes." Don't walk around the bad part of town after dark even if you have a CCW and a gun, don't talk on your cell phone while you drive even if it is legal or you have a hands-free setup, and don't ride on fast, windy roads with no shoulder even if you technically have the right to do so. The odds do catch up sooner or later.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Way too much logic and making sense there ^^^

I ride yet hate cyclists, go figure.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't want the bicylist getting hit but why were they riding side by side or at least not single file on a single lane road?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Unreal. Honestly though, those guys didn't seem the slightest bit concerned for their responsibility to be civil. and I say that AS a cyclist. When we ride, if we so much as "hear" tires coming, we yell car back, and we single file tight on the white line. We make it easy to coexist with cars, because we ride the same areas over and over. We need to be civil and friendly. It's best for everyone.

We also ride VERY early in rural areas. We do this so we're not out in any traffic to speak of. Sometimes go hours without a car.

This was a terrible act. And it was absolutely wrong. But they're not innocent here either. These guys ignored the cars, and were at least rude, if not something more,.. like passive-agressive pricks.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I bet the Volvo driving asshole supported Hillary.
I swear to God. Some of you guys will manage to find some way to wedge politics into to any thread!!

Cut it out

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post