SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I did something stupid today and got caught.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I did something stupid today and got caught. Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Next order of business.

Get your own place to live.

Seriously.

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
While everyone is bashing on me, there are many things to take into account...

I replied to the scenario based on the area where I used to work...

it was the hood...period. and if someone called in that someone was loading magazines while seated in the back of his truck we would have rolled deep and responded with rifles...based on historical crimes and events.

Now, other officers work in other areas and with a different section of society....and that is their experience and the historical events they can measure against...

I am not blaming anyone, or faulting anyone because I know what I would have done based on a man with a gun call in the city I worked in and including the area in which it was dispatched to....if it was on the edge of the city and in an area not "hood", there would have been a different response.

sorry if everyone think that I'd roll up on every gun call.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
That is some absolute bullshit. I’d be flipping my shit.

If I'd been approached like that, I'm afraid I may have needed some new drawers immediately afterward.

As for calls to the chief and all that business, is there any benefit at all to finding a polite way to say (in a letter, presumably) something to the effect of, "Hey, I appreciate the quick response and the work you do, but lighten the heck up"?

Or would that just be adding fuel to an unnecessary fire?
Short of filing a law suit against that particular agency, the op would be wasting his time and energy trying to make any points with that group.

Just for the sake of comparison, I got stopped for speeding a few years back and when the officer asked if I had any "...weapons on me", I told him I had a Glock in my right hand waistband. He asked me if I would agree to hand him the weapon so he could hold onto it during the stop. I politely told him "No sir, I'd prefer not to do that. I have no intention of touching a firearm in your presence. If you'd like me to step out of the vehicle so you can take it out of my holster, I'd be willing to do that if it will make you more comfortable." Long story short, the officer did not take my weapon, I got no ticket, and the he thanked me for my co-operation and behavior. To me, this is how LE should be modeling their interactions with the public.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
That is my goal. A little background first. My wife and I were evicted from our apartment last week. We have no money for another apartment. We cannot go to a homeless shelter together because we have no children. My wife needs medical attention so we cannot be separated. We are staying with a friend of a friend for a couple of weeks. Then the clock strikes twelve.

This is not a plea for sympathy, just factual information.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Next order of business.

Seriously.

Wink

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Ironmike57- I've learned something from your mistake as you have. Best wishes

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next order of business.

Seriously.
Rhino --

I know Mike. He has been looking for work. He is willing to work. He WANTS to work.

Unfortunately, the industry that he had made a career in, has had a downturn and he lost his income. I know that he has been doing just about anything to generate income.

If there are any of our members in South Florida who can point Mike toward employment, I am sure that he would be grateful. I do not know whether he would be able to relocate.

Getting is own place, as you suggest, is a great idea, but first he has to have an income source.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What is the right way to approach "a man with a gun" in a vehicle?

Is a gun in a car breaking the law? If not, go find some bad guys.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@Dresden, you say this like it’s no big deal...
“And actually, I pulled a gun on plenty of people without Probable Cause or PC as you called it.”

I have nothing nice to say so I won’t.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
“And actually, I pulled a gun on plenty of people without Probable Cause or PC as you called it.”

He is technically correct; an officer has to have either a situation where he is authorized to use force to compel compliance, or a situation where he has a reasonable fear or death or injury, or is involved in an investigation of a suspicious area or item (reported burglary in process, suspicious car in an alley at night, etc.). It is an objective standard; objectively reasonable to a normal officer, and an objectively reasonable belief that a crime has been, or may be, committed.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
For the sake of adding to the dog pile if nothing else:

I am an attorney and I wholly agree with ArtieS (and jljones' comments from the LEO perspective).

Whenever I fly to FL, the first thing I do before I leave the rental garage is unpack my checked handgun and arm myself. I try to be subtle in moving my box of ammo and magazines from my luggage in the trunk to the driver's seat up front, and I manipulate everything below the window line to the extent possible, but I'm not overly secretive about it.

I would be pissed if I were approached the way Ironmike57 was - man w/ a gun call or no. Damn right, I believe he has an actionable complaint.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I know it's not much, but wishing the best for you IronMike. Just hearing that helped me quite a bit when I was in a situation similar to yours.

The day in and day out grind of looking for work outside of your chosen profession in a depressed economy is tough, you hear a lot of no and even more so you don't hear anything back from submitted resumes. Keep pushing, something eventually works.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I don’t know what was reported, how it was reported. All I know was what activity was being done. In today’s world with swatting others for all I know it was reported that a gun was being waved around. So I am not going to comment on how it was handled.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Never again will I load magazines in a public place.

Were they military-grade assault magazines? Because those are dangerous, man. The bullets will pop right out and hone-in on the nearest bystander even without a gun.

Seriously, it is good that you live in a Second Amendment state.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What is the right way to approach "a man with a gun" in a vehicle?

Flash bang obviously

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
LR, thanks for the plug. Meredith and I are done with south Florida. We are strongly considering moving to central Florida.

Artie S has contacted me and he is a breath of fresh air. This forum is fantastic. Thank you, Para.

Matthew03, thank you as well.

FWIW, I have no intention of filing any complaint against MDPD. I have much more important things to do with my time. Thanks for all of the ideas. I would like to get a copy of the incident report if possible.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Next order of business.

Seriously.
Rhino --

I know Mike. He has been looking for work. He is willing to work. He WANTS to work.

Unfortunately, the industry that he had made a career in, has had a downturn and he lost his income. I know that he has been doing just about anything to generate income.

If there are any of our members in South Florida who can point Mike toward employment, I am sure that he would be grateful. I do not know whether he would be able to relocate.

Getting is own place, as you suggest, is a great idea, but first he has to have an income source.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
That is some absolute bullshit. I’d be flipping my shit.

If I'd been approached like that, I'm afraid I may have needed some new drawers immediately afterward.

As for calls to the chief and all that business, is there any benefit at all to finding a polite way to say (in a letter, presumably) something to the effect of, "Hey, I appreciate the quick response and the work you do, but lighten the heck up"?

Or would that just be adding fuel to an unnecessary fire?

It could be for nothing, or it could elicit a positive response.

At my agency we have to be able to explain "why" we pull a gun or point it at someone. It has to be on video, and we have to mark the video as having done it. If I was to do what the officers described did, with the information it sounds like they had, I'd expect a day or two off if the citizen complained. A lawsuit, in today's age, would not be a surprise if the person was properly motivated.

We get "man with a gun" calls all the time. The first thing we ask is what they are doing with the gun. It's not illegal to have a gun. It's not illegal to openly carry a gun. Including a rifle.

If there is no indication they are doing something illegal with the gun, like pointing it at people, we are still expected to go observe to see if a contact is necessary. Person walking down the sidewalk, even in a city of a million, with a gun on his hip in a holster? Wave and drive on. Walking around holding it in his hand or pointing it at people? A discussion will ensue.

Another point to that, a person calling 911, especially if they don't leave their contact information or meet with the officer, and saying "I saw a guy loading mags in the back of his truck" does not give an officer the authority to walk up to someone and hold them at gunpoint, unless there is some other significant factor. That is a seizure, and reasonable suspicion of a crime is required to seize someone.

The officers' actions were unacceptable, based on my experience and what is expected of me as an officer, under the circumstances you describe, working in high crime cities with lots of good AND bad guys with guns. The law is the law. It is not illegal to possess a gun. And the search of your vehicle and your wife's purse...I'd be livid.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:

If it's not illegal why take that approach? Liberals want you to feel everything is wrong so you won't do it. Have the cops come time and again. You are exercising good judgment by not having your gun out, just the magazines.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:

If it's not illegal why take that approach? Liberals want you to feel everything is wrong so you won't do it. Have the cops come time and again. You are exercising good judgment by not having your gun out, just the magazines.

I hear you and agree. But, I don't blame him. Wouldn't want to get shot the next time by someone with twitchy fingers. Eek

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
am thinking about the two point six million dollar settlement that your family could have received , had they used deadly force.

I would have pointed my cell phone at them

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

2. Don't need a warrant to search a car (go look it up) and I'd say they would be covered under exigent circumstances also

Can we go back to this for a sec? Why wouldn't he think he needed PC? OP was not breaking any laws right? Just because some pussy saw a guy loading magazines made it extenuating circumstances?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post