Tools

Fresh Ink Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Sally Mander? (Salamander)

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Why?

OK, I get it, tattoos are a personal thing, and so while they aren't mine, they are apparently yours.

But I wonder what the purpose of going through the rest of your life with a lizard and gibberish text is all about?

If we were all gathered 'round in an actual lounge, would you have said that?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
what does it say?

"can't be worn down." A more concise "Illegitimi non carborundum" and also not faux latin.

I'm more familiar with the longer phrase... we used to use it in referring to supervisors

quote:
What amphibian is associated with fire in myth?

I knew it was a salamander because of the inclusion of fire...Salamandra salamandra...elemental Fire. But I have to admit that the first character that popped into my mind when I read the above was Charizard...comes from raising pre-teens

BTW, it is beautiful,especially the shading.

Tattoos aren't my personal choice, but I've long admired some great ink work

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
Why?

OK, I get it, tattoos are a personal thing, and so while they aren't mine, they are apparently yours.

But I wonder what the purpose of going through the rest of your life with a lizard and gibberish text is all about?

If we were all gathered 'round in an actual lounge, would you have said that?

I agree. That’s pretty douchy.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why?

Gibberish text? Classy man. I guess you don't really want an answer to your question.

I searched for a translation before I posted. Google Translate said it was Latin but couldn't say what it meant. Several other resources (search engines, etc.) gave the same result. Hence, I guessed it was some "inside" message, a typo, or gibberish.

I'm not ranking on you. I don't know you. I acknowledged that tats are a personal thing. Not mine, but I doubt you'd castigate me for that. I have no reason to castigate you.

My question may have come off a bit snarky, so I apologize for that. I still have no idea what a lizard and some Latin that doesn't translate easily mean for you. Enough to permanently alter your body for.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Lizard.... ::sigh::

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_salamander

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Why?

Gibberish text? Classy man. I guess you don't really want an answer to your question.

I searched for a translation before I posted. Google Translate said it was Latin but couldn't say what it meant. Several other resources (search engines, etc.) gave the same result. Hence, I guessed it was some "inside" message, a typo, or gibberish.

I'm not ranking on you. I don't know you. I acknowledged that tats are a personal thing. Not mine, but I doubt you'd castigate me for that. I have no reason to castigate you.

My question may have come off a bit snarky, so I apologize for that. I still have no idea what a lizard and some Latin that doesn't translate easily mean for you. Enough to permanently alter your body for.

Well, you're certainly not any closer to getting any sort of explanation from me, if you think this qualifies as an apology.

If you'd actually like my thoughts on tattoos, or the meanings behind this one, you've gone in the opposite direction with gusto. Again. Good work.

Kindly retire from this thread.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
arc,

I've never been an ink guy, and seeing this hasn't changed that, but that is beautiful art. Very impressive.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why?

Hence, you might want to get that tattoo removed from your brain

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Why?

I'm not a fan of tattoos, but I'm not going to shit on a members choice to get one.

Be nice bro.

All too true!

I have 2 grandsons, they both have LARGE tats!

One is in SF and some of his tats are to remember his fallen comrades. They all have meanings for/to him. His choice.

I don't figure tats are in my life, never were.

For those who want or like tats enjoy them.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
arc,

I've never been an ink guy, and seeing this hasn't changed that, but that is beautiful art. Very impressive.

The detail is top notch, I'm very happy. I hope to do at least one more piece before she moves across the country.

When I or anyone posts something on the internet, there is potential for all kinds of responses. Over time, I think some key parts of social interaction have been lost or ignored due to the anonymity that comes with this form of communication.

Across all types of social media, I think people have confused what is appropriate to say about someone elses opinions or beliefs, and just about anything else about that person. Once outside that line, one is being either intentionally or unintentionally disrespectful. Typically it's easy to tell which is which, and such is often confirmed with any attempt at penance for a misstep.

On Reddit, or 4chan, or twitter, or a number of places, drive by fuckery is almost an expected part of the "social norms." Also, petty insults from strangers carry no weight. Among friends, carefully crafted insults can be fun for everyone, but you best know who your friends are.

In case anyone is confused about why one members tact is odious, allow me to explain:

I don't really care if someone doesn't like or understand tattoos, that's their business. If someone wants to post in this thread such, I'd only be curious why they're wasting their own time telling us nothing interesting or important. The old standby "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" is great for getting along with others in a social setting.

But, some form of "that tattoo sucks" is just what one should expect, unfortunately, because this is still the internet, even though it's a community.

What sets apart the comments in this thread, is the "why" portion. If there is earnest desire to learn something from someone, and then you disrespect them in the same breath, you're either dishonest, oblivious, or intentionally being deeply disrespectful. Additionally, taking time in an alleged "apology" to rationalize what you've said, and then dig your hole deeper means you're not at all forthright with anything you've said.

Most people who get tattoos, don't do it idly, and most of the time a tattoo has many meanings. I'm quite happy to discuss the most obvious outward details, if they are unclear. I'd recommend, in the case of a tattoo, just asking straight away what it is if you're unsure and would actually like to know.

As far as the "why would anyone permanently do that to their body," there are a myriad of reasons. As variable as the people who get tattoos. Are tattoos as rebellious or cool as they used to be? I don't know anyone who has tattoos who gives this a second thought, nor do I concern myself with how I now rank to someone with no tattoos. If you're starting from a place of "I have no idea why anyone would do that," and would like to know why an individual would, some of their reasons may be very personal. Those reasons aren't for you, unless your relationship with them is of sufficient depth. Beyond personal reasons, if the goal is for someone to be "convinced" why tattooing makes any sense, then this too is a high bar. I have no need of convincing anyone else why too get a tattoo. It's comparable to convincing someone there is, or isn't a god.

There is only one situation to directly judge someone with tattoos. If you are their employer. Then they represent you for compensation, and you may have a stake in their appearance. Beyond that, while tattoos may influence your opinion of someone, how you handle those opinions will have social consequences for you as well.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
There is a Richard Gere (yech) movie where he plays a character with mental issues. A therapist asked him outside a clinical setting how he was doing mentally and he responded with asking her how her last pap smear was. His mental health was just as personal as her reproductive health.

People often forget the civilized part of human civilization. There is something good to be said about manners for the sake of manners.

Grandpa wore a suit to dinner nearly every day

Nice tat Arc

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Beautiful body art.

Hope you like it just as much forty years from now, when the skin sags. Wink

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Tattoos are like marriage. If you're concerned only about somethings appearance in 40 years, you probably don't have the commitment and shouldn't do it.

Arc.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Tattoos are like marriage. Expensive and painful to remove.

Arc.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Tattoos changing isn't always a bad thing. I have one that sometimes says "Excelsior" and at other times it says "Excelsior Tonic for what ails ya! Excelsior Tonic company, 201 High Street Schenectady, New York 12301.

I haven't had any complaints.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know, I know! It's this one:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Tattoos changing isn't always a bad thing. I have one that sometimes says "Excelsior" and at other times it says "Excelsior Tonic for what ails ya! Excelsior Tonic company, 201 High Street Schenectady, New York 12301.

So, you used microstamping?

Arc.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I know, I know! It's this one:

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:

So, you used microstamping?

Yep! I give the ladies a Loop and tell them they gots da get up close to read it.