Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

What amphibian is associated with fire in myth?
I know, I know! It's this one:

Have a chuckle. But are we to infer something by Mr. McGregor? Don't meme casually.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I don't have any tats nor do I think would in the future. Who knows? I almost fell into that rope or barbed wire on the arm fad years ago. I'm glad I didn't. I do respect a persons choice to do what they wish. I will say that whichever artist performed that work on you was pretty good. It does look nice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of common tattoos kicking around out there. Fads abound. For me, only unique work. I don't see myself with barbed wire, spider webs, rope, etc.

Some of those tattoos have specific meanings, and you sometimes wonder if the wearer knows, frankly. Especially in the case of certain images associated with gangs, prison, crime syndicates etc.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tattoos are like marriage. If you're concerned only about somethings appearance in 40 years, you probably don't have the commitment and shouldn't do it.

+1.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tattoos are like marriage. If you're concerned only about somethings appearance in 40 years, you probably don't have the commitment and shouldn't do it.

I'm just stating a fact. My tats look considerably different now than they did forty years ago. Big Grin

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Very nice Ink, Arc.

I like the sentiment of the Latin as well.

May you and yours be blessed.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:

I'm just stating a fact. My tats look considerably different now than they did forty years ago. Big Grin

Oh yeah. Of course the ink changes, how good the care you take of your body and skin can have a positive or negative effect but there is no prevention. How much sun, and if you have it touched up are also factors. You know as well as I there is more to it.

I do have friends with more impulsive tattoos, some who have lasered. I plan to never need that. Marriage is a pretty good analogy for selecting a tat.

Also, for me, working outside combined with dust/dirt mean I'm unlikely to get work I'd want to slather with suntan lotion. Lotion plus sawdust, gross.

Arc.

Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
Pretty damn rad tattoo, Arc! Excellent shading and detail. Going to get my two sons' names inked when I free up some time and funds.

Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
what does it say?

Nunquam Terendus

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
what does it say?

Nunquam Terendus

Hey, I'm curious, are you joking? It's hard to say.

Arc.

Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I know squat about tattoos but that looks to be far better than the ones my son sports. Maybe it’s the colors or perhaps the detail I dunno. I like it.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation Arc, I couldn't find a correct translation on the Google...and I know it has meaning.

Very nice work. I have a gecko on my right shoulder to remind me of my oldest after I got divorced and couldn't be there for him. the gecko was his favorite animal and I wear it to remind me of him. My little one wants me to get an elephant to join the gecko . Haven't found an artist...guess I gotta get on that

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Curious what something like that cost?

Tats are not my thing. But I always wonder how all these college athletes can be tatted up the gazoo and don't get paid to play, "Sarcasm."

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Looks great Arc.

Ignore the bitter hearted, tattoos aren't everyone's thing.
We all found that out from a recent thread a few weeks ago.. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I like it.

And if I did not, I would simply keep my yap shut and click the tattoo of the little back arrow at the top of the browser page.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Curious what something like that cost?

Tats are not my thing. But I always wonder how all these college athletes can be tatted up the gazoo and don't get paid to play, "Sarcasm."

You'll find quite a range of cost. Starting with just where you are. After that, size and level of complexity.

This was 5 hours including drawing and prep, $600 not including the tip. It's about the size of your hand.

Keep in mind, this is Boston MA, and that is a very detailed tattoo.

Arc.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks I really had no idea. But figured they are expensive.
Obviously you like it and it is important to you. That is all that counts. I does look well done.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A tattoo need not necessarily be expensive. A simple or small tattoo can carry great significance.

If you've seen pictures of tattoos, the area they take up in relation to the level of detail is always worth noting. Some of the most complex I remember, duplicate the art of HR Giger.

If you look at the line detail of mine, it doesn't really get much smaller than that as far as line weight. The use of color and shading is up to the skill of the artist. For extremely fine detail, you have to go to just blackwork. Such as having this tattooed:

Works of large size or intricate complexity, will also be more complex due to their location on the body, then also add how sensitive or close to bone it is.

That's my right shoulder, and I took a nap. Not everyone will doze off during a tattoo, and I would not be if the area were more populated with nerves or bone.

Arc.

St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I like it, looking for an tattoo person myself.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I wanted to get a bar bode tattoo of my SSN. Sort of a statement I guess. But the guy told me they don't work well.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post