SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Subaru BRZ drivers/owners/tuners here? Update: Which exhaust?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Subaru BRZ drivers/owners/tuners here? Update: Which exhaust? Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you are in Nevada, but if you really want to go over the top check out Renegade Hybrids in Las Vegas. They've created a niche for themselves by transplanting GM LS series V-8's into Porsches. An early Boxster S with a blown engine is a cheap and easy find for a few thousand, spend a few thousand more for an LS-3 crate motor and have a mid engine convertible with 400 plus horsepower.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Former coworker had one, fun little car.
It'd be high on my list if I were in the market, but would be a far 2nd to the ND Miata.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
You’ll need to bolt a supercharger to one. Google is your friend. Drive one, if the power is not enough I’d just pick another car/model.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
We're heading down to the dealership, later. Just looking.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No experience with the BRZ, but I've had a lot of fun with "slow cars" since I started driving. Easier to push, without the costly moments of pushing too far.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned (or co-owned before divorce) 4 Subarus and I am starting to doubt the "quality"

2002 WRX - Ran 206,000 miles and still strong when I traded it in 2013.
2004 Forrester XT - Major compression loss on two cylinders at 160,000 miles and wasn't worth fixing.
2013 Forrester X had very high oil consumption from the start and blew by 75,000 miles. There is a class action that Subaru lost on the oil consumption issue.
2013 WRX - Current daily driver and at 103,000 miles. Exhaust valve lash is way under spec, causing misfires. Fixing it will require an engine pull, heads removed, machined, maybe valves replaced, and lash reset. Looking at $2500 or more, plus some other stuff like the timing belt.

The old 2.0L Turbos were pretty bullet proof. The 2.5L seems to have issues, especially the turbo motors.

My 2013 WRX is worth 12,000 in trade, dealer offered 9,000 towards a new one (factoring in they will have to fix the valve lash). A mew 2018 WRX with the Turbo "BRZ" 2.0L DI motor might be OK, but hell if I know about long term reliability. I know that valve seats should not have recessed so far in 103,000 miles to require cylinder head rebuilds.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Bruce, I wish I knew you were looking at MOAC, I would have let you take my Golf R out for a spin. Fast, fun, well built, roomy, and fairly practical to boot. And kinda stealth if you don’t know what you are looking at.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
"Just looking" my eye!
I drove the white one and bought the silver one Smile
Great handling car! It won't give you whiplash but it's got plenty of snot for commuting and wagging it's tail.

I'm really happy with it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Congrats! What did you buy? A couple days ago you posted you were debating between a BRZ and WRX.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I bought the BRZ Limited with the Performance Package. Brembo brakes, pizza plate rotors, Sachs dampers. I didn't mind the mild power. It has plenty as long as you keep it in the powerband and it flat out corners like it's on rails.
You can turn off the "nanny software" entirely or hit "Track Mode" and you feel like it's all off until you're about to lose control and then it gently saves your ass from wrecking.

Great, great car!

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I would spend a little more and get a 370Z.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
I would spend a little more and get a 370Z.

Really nice car, that.
I wanted rear wheel drive.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Post some pictures! I've always wanted to drive one of those. Supposed to be an absolute driver's car.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Post some pictures!

Yes, please.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Hey, anybody that wants to post some pics, email me and I will get them right off to you. I still have trouble with that :-/

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Send them to the address in my profile and ill host them if you'd like.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Sent.

Bruce

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Sharp looking car in silver with the red brakes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Sharp looking car in silver with the red brakes.

Brembo for the win! Smile

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli