SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon Dot?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Dot? Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
At a time when we have any number of devices tracking and automating our habits at home, should that information be used against us in criminal cases?"

Count on it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Count on it.

Yup. Although if you got some "minister" to marry you to Alexa, would spousal privilege apply? Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I love mine. The one in the kitchen is especially useful as a timer and units converter. It will even walk you through a huge number of recipes, although I haven't tried this yet.

"Alexa, set the timer for 15 minutes."
"Alexa, how many teaspoons in a cup?"

If you're planning to do something dastardly, you can always turn it off -- it contains no batteries. If Jeff Bezos has people monitoring me, I have they'd best have plenty of espresso available.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

Count on it.

Yup. Although if you got some "minister" to marry you to Alexa, would spousal privilege apply? Wink
I've made all sorts of sexual overtures to her and have been gently rebuffed.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
quote:

Count on it.

I've made all sorts of sexual overtures to her and have been gently rebuffed.

I imagine you'll keep trying though. Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have an echo and a few Dots.

We bought smart plugs and switches use it to turn on lights and heaters and control the thermostat.

Use it also to play music and gety the weather.

We like them.

Let it record me, I don't care.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered one for my wife after she made a meh face at one of her gifts. It comes tomorrow and I think she will enjoy it in the kitchen.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
We have an echo upstairs and a dot downstairs.

We use it to stream music, great for playing christmas music for ambiance all december. The wife checks weather with it. The 5 year old boy talks to it...but doesn't ever get anywhere.

It ordered something randomly once, that freaked us out. Had to disable that "feature".

I use it to turn lights on (philips hue color led bulbs in nearly every fixture in the house), and turn the vehicle heaters on or off (tp link smart plugs). It isn't a fully figured out technology yet, but the software is upgrade-able...so as things get better (more intuitive), you don't have to buy a new one.

More smart compatible devices are coming out daily. More Alexa-Skills are being added daily.

As mentioned, if I was planning to do something illegal, I'd simply unplug the power. Neither have a built in battery. My cell phone would be more likely to spy on me with google, as it probably already is. Any evidence gathered using one of these devices SHOULD only help my case if every used. I'm sure when the evidence doesn't support the prosecution, it'll be promptly "lost".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
I am not sure why you guys are worried about spying, I guess I get it but I assume none of you have smart phones which can be turned into a microphone at any time via hacking etc...

Oh come on. Do you really think this is comparable? No one is hacking my phone and listening to my conversations in my living room.

The very real truth though is that this device does indeed record your conversations and stores those conversations off site. I get that many of you don't care and chalk it up to "it's the way things are now," but not me. I'm not inviting that type of intrusion into my home. And don't try to convince me that I already have since I have a smartphone because that's simply not true at all.

I failed to mention mine has a mute button.

But you dont have google + or siri? It is always listening. No different unless you turn the microphone off. Same with chromebooks, laptops, new tvs. Im just sayin if youre gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.

I didnt even mention, onstar, location services, apple/ google cloud. Voluntarily putting your info out there. Anyways maybe for another thread.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I don't use google + or siri; my tv is not smart and I disable my laptop camera/microphone in the BIOS. I have no use for them; I never "face time" (I'm ugly). Onstar? I drive a 1999 Suzuki with 254k miles. No onstar. As far as location services on my iPhone I control them as much as I can, i.e, ask me for permission every time. I also use a VPN (on the phone) Cloud services? You mean I can request rain? All info is held on local drives. I use smartmail email now; got away from yahoo.

Like I said, I had to give big brother access to every facet of my life for my job. I don't have to give it to anyone else. Especially people that make money off of it and don't give me a cut Wink

And paying in cash? Well that just feels good Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I've thought about picking one up but haven't taken the plunge yet. Not sure if I'd use it enough.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't use google + or siri; my tv is not smart and I disable my laptop camera/microphone in the BIOS. I have no use for them; I never "face time" (I'm ugly). Onstar? I drive a 1999 Suzuki with 254k miles. No onstar. As far as location services on my iPhone I control them as much as I can, i.e, ask me for permission every time. I also use a VPN (on the phone) Cloud services? You mean I can request rain? All info is held on local drives. I use smartmail email now; got away from yahoo.

Like I said, I had to give big brother access to every facet of my life for my job. I don't have to give it to anyone else. Especially people that make money off of it and don't give me a cut Wink

And paying in cash? Well that just feels good Smile

I see whatcha did there Smile

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
This was just posted on Penny-Arcade.com:

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/...io-data-murder-case/

Police seek Amazon Echo data in murder case (updated)

Yep. Very apt timing for this discussion. That case is from my neck of the woods.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...540239?client=safari

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
"The Amazon Echo device is constantly listening for the "wake" command of "Alexa" or "Amazon," and records any command, inquiry, or verbal gesture given after that point, or possibly at all times without the "wake word" being issued

How much do they actually record? That seems to be a key question. I've read a few articles but nothing really seems to be a definite on how much is recorded.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
When I got my iPhone 7 that message popped up telling me every time I voice text my voice is sent to Apple.
Shut off and quit using voice text.

As soon as I am able, I'm gonna pitch my POS Apple phone in the creek.

Come on retirement!!

Bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Is it too Jennerfied if I want to rename Alexis to Hal?

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Just curious. What if I actually want to record a conversation? Can I say, "Alexa, record for the next hour." Like if you have a break in or something or if the cops are in your home and you want to get the conversation on record. Can it do that? Record everything for a set amount of time?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/...io-data-murder-case/

Police seek Amazon Echo data in murder case (updated)

Yep. Very apt timing for this discussion. That case is from my neck of the woods.

Fox News same story

Yep, not putting one of those things in my house.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post