SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sexual Harassment Training and Policies
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sexual Harassment Training and Policies Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
Last week I must have drawn and won the shit lotto.
The company I work for doesn’t have a sexual harassment policy, and has never had any training. Well luck have it, I have had countless hours of training.

I was fortunate enough to get to put a policy in place, and tomorrow I get to have a “Lunch and Learn” and teach all the people that work for me about sexual harassment. It’s really not that bad, and I don’t mind speaking to large groups of people. I’m just not overly thrilled to teach this class. I know there will be one person that’ll want to pick it apart, and that’s annoying. I just feel that what I have put together isn’t interactive enough. It’s a shitty topic. I can make anything interactive, but this, it’s difficult. It’s also not really something you can make fun, because of the nature of what it is.

This should be a learning experience for many people, and it’ll be a learning experience about teaching for me.

Anyways, it’s better than a double dose of Alka-Seltzer. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Interactive sexual harassment training can get out of hand in a hurry.

IMO, this topic is one where you matter of factly present the policy, show one or two training video vignettes with horrible acting and even worse scripts, and play whack-a-mole with any dipshit that can't behave during training.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've taught this numerous times. There are ways to do it that don't suck, and keep it professional, but not cringe inducing. At all costs, avoid the commercially available movies on the subject. They are laughably bad.

Here's some policy language if you need it. In addition, I have a couple of company policy manuals that I have either drafted or edited, and I'd be happy to send you copies if they will make your life easier.

Remember that there are two kinds; hostile work environment, which is the jokes, pictures, comments, etc., and quid pro quo, which is an exchange of sexual conduct for work benefits.

quote:
Harassment

Company seeks to provide a work environment that is free from intimidation and harassment. Company prohibits all forms of unlawful harassment based upon race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability or any other basis protected by law.

Any team member who is the subject of, who has knowledge of, or who witnesses any possible prohibited harassment or discrimination should immediately bring such information to the attention of a Department or Division Manager or an Officer. Company will continue its practice of taking prompt steps to investigate concerns regarding prohibited harassment and discrimination and, where appropriate, take prompt corrective action. Company will handle reports of such alleged misconduct with sensitivity and concerns for confidentiality, reputation and privacy, as is practicable. Team members may not take any kind of retaliatory action against other team members who have made a good faith complaint about harassment or discrimination prohibited by this policy. It is your responsibility to follow this policy conscientiously.

Sexual Harassment

Company prohibits all forms of sexual harassment, including verbal, non-verbal, and physical conduct. Sexual harassment is defined as unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature, including unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, non-verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature where:

Submission to such conduct is made an express or implied term or condition of employment
Submission to or rejection of such conduct is used as the basis for employment decisions
Submission to such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive working environment

Additionally, this definition includes many forms of offensive behavior. It also includes harassment of a person by another person of the same gender. No team member of Company has the authority to condition any employment term, condition or benefit upon either the granting of sexual favors or on tolerating unwelcome sexual conduct or any other conduct prohibited by this policy.

Complaint Procedures

Any member of Company who believes that he or she has been sexually harassed should report the alleged act(s) immediately to their Department/Division Manager, HR Manager or an Officer. Company will handle all complaints of sexual harassment in a timely and confidential manner. Those individuals involved with the investigation should not discuss the matter outside of the investigation.

If I can find my old .ppt on it, I'll send it to you.

Good luck.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO, this topic is one where you matter of factly present the policy, show one or two training video vignettes with horrible acting and even worse scripts, and play whack-a-mole with any dipshit that can't behave during training.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly. Fufill a requirement. If you do not know what sexual harassment is by now, you have a problem.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I thank God that I’m retired, and don’t have to attend crap classes anymore.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Artie, what you posted is damn near verbatim snippets if the policy I put together. Literally quotable.

I think I have it where it’s not cringe worthy. I’m pretty good at being professional but not being a fun sponge, sucking every morsel of fun from a situation.

Todd, I’m pretty much doing what you’re saying. Laying it out and being matter if fact. It’s just listening to my monotone, annoying voice that makes me sad for the team.

Z, yeah I agree with you, but where I live, and the education level, and what the people talk about and think is acceptable, is embarrassing, and truly saddening. Self respect is a long forgotten trait.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Are you instructed to pronounce harassment as hare-ess-ment? Some people were offended because it sounds like her-ass-ment.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If you touch someone or say something to them that they find offensive and report it, you're fired. Questions?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Back maybe twenty-five years ago, another guy and I were the cause of our whole department at BellSouth having to undergo this training.

He and I were working very late one evening, trying to solve a software problem caused by some really bad code. Thinking that we were alone in the area, not realizing that a female worker was at her desk that late, we were using all sorts of profanity. Instead of coming over to us and asking us to cool it with the language, she chose to keep her presence unkown to us, and go to the department head the next day and whine and bitch about it.

So, the whole department got to sit in a half-day session led by an over-priced consultant who got big bucks for showing some videos.

One of the videos depicted a female worker who was being bothered by some male workers. After the video, the consultant asked if any of us cared to comment. The inevitable voice from the back of the room said, "That babe was pretty hot."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Z, yeah I agree with you, but where I live, and the education level, and what the people talk about and think is acceptable, is embarrassing, and truly saddening. Self respect is a long forgotten trait.

^^^^^
In the South people pretty much everyone understands that there are certain things you do not say or do if front of your Momma. They should get that. If not they are truly hopeless.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This BS is a shining example of how everything devolves when the nuclear family disintegrates. Years ago we had no such training and with very, very, few examples, there were never any such issues. If I were giving such training (God forbid) this would be the shorthand approach I'd take....

Men...
1 - Keep you pecker in your pants.
2 - Keep your hands to yourself.
3 - If you would not be comfortable making a comment to your great grandmother, keep it to yourself.

Women...
1 - Keep your cleavage and ass adequately covered.
3 - Every man who utters the words "[Name] you look very nice today", is not attempting to bend you over his desk.

All...
1 - This is neither a night club or psychiatric office. Find your dates and therapy elsewhere.
2 - Everyone mello the hell out and stop trying to find things to be offended by.

Questions? None, good. Now get back to doing what you were hired to do.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
This BS is a shining example of how everything devolves when the nuclear family disintegrates. Years ago we had no such training and with very, very, few examples, there were never any such issues. If I were giving such training (God forbid) this would be the shorthand approach I'd take....

Men...
1 - Keep you pecker in your pants.
3 - If you would not be comfortable making a comment to your great grandmother, keep it to yourself.

Women...
1 - Keep your cleavage and ass adequately covered.
3 - Every man who utters the words "[Name] you look very nice today", is not attempting to bend you over his desk.

All...
1 - This is neither a night club or psychiatric office. Find your dates and therapy elsewhere.
2 - Everyone mello the hell out and stop trying to find things to be offended by.

Questions? None, good. Now get back to doing what you were hired to do.

Then a member goes whining to HR about what you said to him/her. Made him/her feel "Uncomfortable".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
"Don't be stupid. Don't assume other people are intentionally being stupid. Thank you. This concludes the training."

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
why is it I thought of the scene in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life where the teacher played by Cleese is screwing his wife as class instruction,,,,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Well...I immediately thought of Michael Scott. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The main point I remember, whether we like it or not, is that harassment is judged not on one's intent, but by how it makes the other person feel. You could have just been joking, or complimenting, but if it results in the other person feeling uncomfortable, it could be a problem.

In other words - mouth shut, head down at work.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
The main point I remember, whether we like it or not, is that harassment is judged not on one's intent, but by how it makes the other person feel. You could have just been joking, or complimenting, but if it results in the other person feeling uncomfortable, it could be a problem.
And there you have it...the 'real' problem. Emotions, not intellect, runs the vast majority of people's lives today. For God sake, 25 years ago I used to work with a terrific woman. We worked together every day and I came to know her, her husband, and eventually her kids. I can't tell you how many times I told her "You look very nice today, new suit?". Or, "nice haircut lady". And interestingly, she never once turned me into HR or told me she was "uncomfortable" with my words. But I guarantee you, if she ever was uncomfortable with something I said, she'd tell me to my face. Bullshit now runs the majority of the world where under-educated morons live every aspect of their lives on their frayed emotions. That's a huge part of the reason why I can resolve a dozen plus issues a day while our next gen employees are still lamenting and ruminating over one of two relatively minor issues (the only issues they're given to resolve).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I hate PC. Another gift from the liberals in our society.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I had to endure a training video a couple of years ago which featured a nerdy looking guy being “harassed” by a semi-hot chick.

I must have not been the only one to call bullshit on that (best opportunity of this dude’s life being harassment) because this year, they fixed it. Now the semi-hot chick is being legit harassed by the oafish, unhygienic boss.

Lol.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I am skipping the videos. We don’t have an issue with harassment as most would view it.
We do have an issue with people speaking about what they did between the sheets the prior evening. (Yes, I know, that’s technically harassment).
My point is, we don’t have an issue with people hitting on one another, or touching, etc. we just have people that don’t have the sense to STFU.

quote:
The “lol” thread