SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sexual Harassment Training and Policies
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sexual Harassment Training and Policies Login/Join 
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
I used to teach this class as well. Yes, you will have at least one smart ass and others who don't think it applies ("back in the good old days we didn't need this.......") but because there was no training in the "good old days" harassment behaviors perpetuated through the generations. Just ask any woman who was a stewardess in the 50's if it was the good old days.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
There's no education that create common decency. Unfortunately, if you don't tell employees how to behave how not to behave, it's difficult to successfully discipline/terminate them when their shit upbringing rears its head in the workplace. Congrats on putting together a solid program. It's a hard one to teach well.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I remember a course that depicted several harassment scenarios. In one of them the boss would sleazily massage the shoulders of subordinates as they sat at their desk.

Next segment was a review of each scenario. When they titled the discussion surrounding the above mentioned encounter. They called it "the shoulder rub program" and I nearly lost it. For some reason it struck me as hilarious.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
we just have people that don’t have the sense to STFU

Hell, everyone has that problem. Law firms have that problem! (Along with groping, screwing, quid pro quoing, etc.)

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Ugh. I hate sexual harassment training. It is probably the biggest time-wasting training I've ever had. I think that 90% of people know how to act and don't need the training, and the other 10% who do actually need it aren't going to take anything away from it anyway and just keep acting the way they act.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
All you need is a video with clips of Joe Biden around women and children and call it "Don't be this guy" Easy Peezy. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Name, rank, and serial number. Anything else I'll want an attorney present.

Aint modern civilization great?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
In other words - mouth shut, head down at work.
Shoot...not only at WORK, but in a bar, in the grocery store, church...you name it! I will no longer give a compliment to a woman for fear it'll come back to bite me in the ass. Hell...I may GET PERMISSION to give a woman a compliment from said woman, but if a 3rd party hears it and is even offended, my ass is STILL in the meat grinder. Leftists and PC Culture has created an IMPOSSIBLE society whereby natural instinct and order of things is curbed. "Bigly"!! No thanks...I'll just say nothing, go home, and watch the hockey game. BY MYSELF!

I shoulda reported this little gay punk to HR when this happened to me at work some years ago...

We had an early, early flight one morning that was just a one-legger to the overnight; one of those friggin' "o-dark thirty" wake ups...day was over by 1000 hours. As is the usual routine, we get to the hotel, check in, get our keys, and trudge up to our rooms; rooms are usually right next to each other or across the hall. And also as usual, as the Captain, I state what my plans are to let the crew know what I'm doing.

So I said, "I'm gonna take a nap and then probably work out. If you guys wanna get food later, just let me know". I turn to Mr. Gay Boy Flight Attendant and ask, "What're you gonna do?". He responds, "Oh...I'm gonna go in my room and masturbate". I just looked at him dead-pan face and said, "Good luck with that" and walked into my room. Later on after my nap, I could hear girly giggling in the hall and when I opened the door to go work out, he and the First Officer were playing slap-ass with each other in the hallway. Really? Do that shit in your rooms!

Was I "offended"? Not really...just a little disgusted and pissed off to be disrespected like that, but days later after the trip was over, I shoulda gone to HR with that shit. I really could imagine him saying that to the wrong Bubba one day and getting his ass beat.

And if it seems I'm being homophobic about this, well...that's one's opinion they have a right have. Personally, I don't care if you're gay, straight, bi-, sideways...DGAF. Just don't throw that shit in my face as I won't throw how much quiff I've banged in YOUR face.

Good luck, Beancooker!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I don't need sexual harassment training.

I can do it with the best of them.
Big Grin

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16528 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
So it went really well. I had practiced and rehearsed and was ready to go.
Then I though, I’m reading a fucking script and everyone will fall asleep.

I took what I was going to say, highlighted the important shit, and kind of went out and said it honestly. “Know your audience” was one bit of advice. I made it clear that most people you work with really don’t care about your sexual conquests from last night.
I explained what is not appropriate and retaliation, laws, etc.

No hecklers. No smart asses. Only one “back in the day”, which was answered with a “well we aren’t back in the day, it’s 2020”. (Knowing this person smokes pot regularly) I interjected that “ back in the day, possession and use of marijuana was a felony in this state, but things change, right?”

When it was all done, I had more than one person come and tell me that it was really good and informative. The owner said she really liked it and I have a feeling that I’ll be teaching it to the other side of the business in a few weeks.

Overall it went incredibly well.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Outstanding work. It is important and making it relevant and accessible is a huge win.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post