SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to be in Cancun for two weeks any tips?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to be in Cancun for two weeks any tips? Login/Join 
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Carry everywhere.

Really BAD advice..unless you want to um live in a Mexican jail for a very long time.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Carry everywhere.

Really BAD advice..unless you want to um live in a Mexican jail for a very long time.... Roll Eyes

THIS.

Mexican jails are not like ours. You do not want to be in one.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go to Mexico at gunpoint.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was there a year ago. Cancun to south of Tulum. Just don't say out late. I would be back in your room before 11. Nice street south of cancun in Playa that is nice to walk. Some good places to eat in Playa, check out La Cueva del Chango if you get there..

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I've never been there, so maybe someone can fill me in. What is the benefit of Mexico that justifies going to a third world country where you are far more likely to get sick, be subject to criminal activity, etc vs Florida, South Texas, California?
Yup. South Florida (Miami area) might still be subject to criminal activity, but you're not as likely to get the runs from drinking water or eating fresh food, and depending on where you got your permit, you might be able to carry protection legally.

You can probably trust the police there, too.

You still might have to speak Spanish, though.

One can carry in FL too w/ a CWP.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If you really have to go, don't leave the resort compound.
There isn't a deal good enough to get me to go there.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
We have committed to help this elderly couple so we will be going. I will post some pics when we get back. We have a month or so before we leave. So I can brush up on my Spanish or translation app LOL. Told my wife that she will have to leave her jewelry behind. Well if I have to leave my guns she has to leave her jewelry. That went over like a fart in church.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
You can save yourself a lot of money of if you eat a box of Ex-Lax and head to the closest Mexican restaurant for all the Margaritas you can drink.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve only been there once. If you take a bus be sure you get off by the last stop on the strip or you will take a ride into areas you do not want to be in. It may not be obvious where the last stop is. The bay side has crocodiles in it, I saw a huge one while at a bus stop. It backed itself into a large concrete pipe. My first thaught was if someone tumbles down the steep bank and hit the water right in front of it, not good.

Posts: 214 | Registered: May 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ATLAS:
I’ve only been there once. If you take a bus be sure you get off by the last stop on the strip or you will take a ride into areas you do not want to be in. It may not be obvious where the last stop is. The bay side has crocodiles in it, I saw a huge one while at a bus stop. It backed itself into a large concrete pipe. My first thaught was if someone tumbles down the steep bank and hit the water right in front of it, not good.

I see a recurring warning Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I've never been there, so maybe someone can fill me in. What is the benefit of Mexico that justifies going to a third world country where you are far more likely to get sick, be subject to criminal activity, etc vs Florida, South Texas, California?

Cheaper? Sun THAT much brighter??

I've been to Cancun many times. To be honest, it really has nothing better than Key West. It certainly isn't any cheaper. The food is not as good. The beaches certainly aren't any nicer. Key West bars can be just as much fun.......About the ONLY thing Cancun had WAS Plaza 21, which is now closed.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jack32586:

Try Lorenzillo's restaurant. World class dining, and you get to watch the alligators swim around while you eat..

Look at those snappers, Ralph!

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
You will be fine in Cancun. Just keep your wits, no need to leave the property after hours. Don’t get ‘spring break’ drunk either.

Here’s a weird one from Mexico. Some young’uns were at an establishment having some drinks. One sees a U.S. $20 on the floor, picks it up & goes to the bar to buy a round. The tender calls the cops, trouble ensues, young American is up on charges of passing counterfeit $$.

It eventually was settled, after copious amounts of $$ was turned over.

Just saying, keep that S.A. tuned, you’ll be fine.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
To be honest, it really has nothing better than Key West. It certainly isn't any cheaper.

Over Thanksgiving we did 9 days in Playa del Carmen...just down the road from Cancun. 9 days, all inclusive (2 adults, 2 children), alcohol included for $1,500. I think you'd be really hard pressed to find prices like that in Key West.

When the exchange rate was 10:1 maybe, but it's currently about 19 : 1. It was 19.06 : 1 the day we got there in November.

https://royalreservations.com/...r-mrqJBoCqJ0QAvD_BwE

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Don’t drink the water, don’t brush your teeth with it, don’t drink anything with ice in it. Love Mexico, but don’t drink the water.

AND... don't eat any salads. If you eat any salad, you might as well drink the water that they used to rinse the salad items with.

Ignore this very important point at your peril. I did not consider this the last time I was there, with quite bad results.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
To be honest, it really has nothing better than Key West. It certainly isn't any cheaper.

Over Thanksgiving we did 9 days in Playa del Carmen...just down the road from Cancun. 9 days, all inclusive (2 adults, 2 children), alcohol included for $1,500. I think you'd be really hard pressed to find prices like that in Key West.

When the exchange rate was 10:1 maybe, but it's currently about 19 : 1. It was 19.06 : 1 the day we got there in November.

Hilton is advertising 2 bedroom condo's right now in Key West for $139 per night. Key West is really slow this season because of the hurricane. Some things in Mexico are cheaper, getting there is usually not from most places in the U.S,

Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
I've been a few times, my favorite part was exploring Isla Mujeres by scooter. If you venture out to Chichen Itza, stay on the toll road unless you enjoy 3 hours of huge speed bumps every 1/4 mile.

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notarex:
I've been a few times, my favorite part was exploring Isla Mujeres by scooter. If you venture out to Chichen Itza, stay on the toll road unless you enjoy 3 hours of huge speed bumps every 1/4 mile.

Isla Mujeres is nice for a day. I did the whole island with a golf cart. It's amazing how the stores will cut prices 50%, 75% on goods if you show little interest or barter with them!

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:

Hilton is advertising 2 bedroom condo's right now in Key West for $139 per night. Key West is really slow this season because of the hurricane. Some things in Mexico are cheaper, getting there is usually not from most places in the U.S,

Does that include all you can drink (soft drinks and alcohol for 4) and eat?

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post