SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well, I had my reoccurring dream last night...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, I had my reoccurring dream last night... Login/Join 
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted
My only reoccurring dream.

I have this dream once or twice a year:

I'm back in college. The semester is ending and as I'm prepping for finals, I remember one class that I barely attended all semester. I attended a few classes at the beginning of the term but did not return for some unknown reason. I don't know why I didn't attend this class, I just didn't. I attended my other classes and feel prepared for their respective finals.

The neglected class is always a math class and I realize I will be completely lost and unprepared for the exam. I panic. I question my future and I wonder what my parents will think of me. I never take the exam. I never even reach the exam date and time before I wake up.

Mind you I'm 53 years old and haven't attended a class in over 30 years! I am a civil engineer and love and excelled in math.

What does this dream mean?

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Carl Jung would say you are hiding your hatred and fear of your professors. Sigmund Freud would say you are in love with your mother. My own shrink would say you are afraid of yourself and the burdens of success.

I would say you have some anxiety associated with tests you face in life.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
It means the same as my recurrent nights "on call" in a hospital where I'm supposed to be having rounds with residents, but don't know where they are or how to reach them....or some other medical situation where I am screwing up, and I know it and can't do anything about it.
I retired in 2015, and I'm still on night call!! Eek

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but it's a common dream. I used to have dreams where my degree was voided due to a technicality and I had to go back to school. Yuch! I've heard several people have similar dreams. No idea what it all means.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16353 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You need to drink more whiskey right before bed?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
You never get off call. I still have auditory hallucinations where I hear my pager and/or cell phone.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does this dream mean?

performance anxiety of course.....

at least that's what they always told me in various classes; and no, I'm not making an interpretation, just reporting

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I guess I’m the only guy, with a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Need more gas-x?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A serious answer -- We all have anxiety dreams at one time or another. Mine was a doozie, had it for several years, until the situation in the dream actually became real one day. I laughed to myself, handled the situation, and everything was fine.

Better than fine, actually, since the reality occurred in a job interview, I got the job, and began the best five years of my professional life.

As I said, we all have them. Don't make it worse by obsessing about it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I get the same dream but it's not necessarily math. Fwiw I'm 52.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It depends. In the dream, what are you doing with your slide rule?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Something like that happened to me in real life. Organic Chemistry II final exam was at 10 am. I got the time mixed up with some other exam and showed up at the end to an empty hall. Fortunately the prof let me take the exam in his office. It was a real fright.

For your dream, I think that you are procrastinating some task and the residual guilt is manifest.

For some interesting books on dreams read Theodor Reik.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107591 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
love and excelled in math

You should be able to add this up and come up with an answer.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Funny, I've had the same dream a number of times.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
No joke, I had that exact same dream last night and I didn’t open this thread or see it ‘til now. I’m 48 with 3 college diplomas so I’ve seen my fair share of classes.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've never had a recurring dream, but I used to have dreams about going into libraries and browsing through books, or going to news stands and perusing magazines. It was never the same place twice. The location didn't matter. The theme was about getting to the books and magazines.

There's no great mystery to this. I like to read. Simple. Nighty-night.

Posts: 107591 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Try this:
"Hypotheses and Interpretations (from the literature and anecdotal):

The dream often occurs in approximation with having forgotten or being concerned about forgetting to do something important in waking life
The dream may reflect a sense of responsibility, duty, or choice where the dreamer knows what he/she should do, but is hesitant/reluctant to do the act
A change involving the end of something is imminent and there is low confidence about the future
It is a time when regrets of past actions or inactions have been in mind—a possible prompt to not "put off until tomorrow what can be done today"
The dream, when it comes in approximation with a significant date, such as a birthday, anniversary, school reunion year, date of the death of someone significant, offers the doorway to the classroom as a metaphor to paths not taken, the recognition that a "long" time has passed without goals achieved
The dream is a reminder not to miss an opportunity or take a more active role in one's destiny"

https://www.psychologytoday.co...ing-final-exam-dream

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I've had a similar dream a few times. Only in mine, I can't even find the building the final is in. I've awakened in a panic wondering why the hell I didn't drop the class when I had the chance.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post