SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am about to purchase two used cars - Son got an Audi A4T
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am about to purchase two used cars - Son got an Audi A4T Login/Join 
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted
I am planning to purchase two used cars in the next week. (!)

One an everyday driver for my 20YO son, I am budgeting $5,0000.

The other is for me, to replace my dear, departed 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe. I'm thinking I want to spend $25,000.

I see plenty of listings of cars I think are relatively reliable. In the past 26 years I've owned two cars and put above 165,000 miles on each of them. So I'm not experienced in buying from dealers or private sellers.

Any strategies, advice, that SF-ers can provide me?

I don't need any recommendations on which car brand/model to purchase, just want some guidelines on what to offer, what to expect at a used car dealership, etc.

Both of these will be all cash deals.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mttaylor1066,

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Probably the best thing to do is go to research the car you want on both Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds.com to understand the fair market value of your vehicle. That'll give you an idea of what it's worth. Then try your best to get a better deal than that. Come armed with the info...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Carfax and a good inspection. Inspection because while if a car was repaired "on the books" it will show up but if it had collision damage fixed "on the side" there will be no record of it.

Just my opinion.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You could cut your task in half by letting your grown son pick and buy his own rig. Of course I am guessing you already know that. Just say'in. Wink Good luck regardless.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get your mechanic to inspect them before you buy. He may charge you a few bucks, but it should be worth it.

If you've been doing your own work, get friends and neighbors to refer you.

The Internet may have info on problems common to the cars. Check those issues first.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Do lots of homework and test drive what you think you might want to buy before you make a final decision.

Remember that the final model you choose was mass produced. If you find one and the deal doesn't work that there are others just like it if you look.

Your best purchase price will be through a private party, but you have to do your part to ensure it has been maintained. etc

In the end it is a negotiation. Offer low and let it play out. Keep emotions out.

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't buy from individuals anymore, there are too many crooks out there. When I buy used it's Carmax or Enterprise Used sales. I once bought a car someone had taken a loan out in another state, with a false title-I eventually got most of my money, but it was a hassle.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Take someone along with you for back-up and carry the cash with you. Offering someone $5000 versus showing someone $5000 are two different things. Stacks of Franklins encourage people to make stupid choices. And you get the deal.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Unless you are very mechanically knowledgeable, have them checked out by a good shop. More so for the older, higher mileage car.

Check the online book prices and see if you know anyone in the business that has a current black book. That's the one the dealers use, not the blue, yellow or other ones.

Ask the dealer, if you are buying there, to show you the price in theirs and make sure it is dated in the last week or two. An old trick is to show you one that is dated 6 months to a year ago. Most dealers pay clean Blackbook, minus any repairs needed, and they need to make a profit.

I probably wouldn't go to a used car only dealership, go to the used car department of the brand you are interested in.

Paying cash isn't a plus to the dealer. They make money on the financing and other (mostly crap) they will try to sell to you.

That is general advice, there are always exceptions.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Fred, at least buying from a dealer, if not CarMax. Enterprise seemed to have some good deals a few years ago when I looked for a car, but I ended up buying elsewhere, so I can't comment beyond that.

The new car dealer for the make you look at will have the most experience in repair and maintenance, so I'd tend to buy from them rather than a used-car dealership. They probably will charge a few bucks more, though.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I don't buy from individuals anymore, there are too many crooks out there. When I buy used it's Carmax or Enterprise Used sales. I once bought a car someone had taken a loan out in another state, with a false title-I eventually got most of my money, but it was a hassle.

Ha! That's exactly the reason I avoid dealers.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

+1

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

Exactly. I only buy from dealers if I can't find the vehicle I want from an individual. The only true lemon used car I've gotten is one that was "fully-inspected" from a dealer. I see no reason to pay thousands more to cover a dealer's costs.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have bought two vehicles from Enterprise Used car sales.
One of the benefits you get is the balance of the factory warranty as well as a complete service record that they will proved for free.

Both were in the low to mid twenties and were priced below what the market was.

I would strongly encourage you to consider them.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we bought cars for our sons at the end of their high school/beginning college years, we got good deals on "program" cars from a local Ford dealer. We had good history with this dealer and their pricing. When my wife and chief bookkeeper lets me I'll go the same route on a new to me pickup....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I have purchased used from dealers and individuals. The best advice - assume the seller has no knowledge of mechanics and they used a stupid mechanic. HAVE THE CAR INSPECTED BY A MECHANIC YOU TRUST. The inspection might cost you a couple hundred dollars but twice my mechanic found items that would have been BIG problems.

If you buy a car with a timing belt make sure you know when the belt needs to be replaced. Remember that the manufactures put a time and mileage criteria. (We bought a low mileage car. It hadn't hit the mileage recommendation but was more than a year pass the time period. The seller (a dealer) paid for the timing belt replacement.)

this might sound strange, but tell the mechanic that if they find a problem stop the inspection process. One time I called the shop to see if they had finished the inspection. They said they had it on the rack but hadn't finished. I asked if they found problems and they listed two major items. I told them to stop the inspection - I only need one major item to turn down the deal. The shop was so focused on a full inspection and wanting to give me a complete report.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Use the advanced search feature on cargurus.com to see what cars are available in your area and to compare what they are being sold for.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/...dvancedSearch.action

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I've heard, first hand, that "certified" cars often have crappy tires. The last three people I know who bought "certified" each had/has issues with their tires. Three different brands and dealerships.

Eve though I do not know exactly what I am looking at, I'd want to put the vehicle on a lift and walk under it. Look for any signs of abuse. $25k will buy a whole lotta car, like a practically brand new Acura TL with 40k miles. I'd still want to look closely at the vehicle from all angles. Pretend your hand washing it. That's when you notice the tiniest issues.

Carfax also. And anything the dealership says, "It was just traded in by a local priest" is likely complete B.S.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Carfax. Either get the free report from a dealer, or subscribe for a while (I think you get a month's free trial). Carfax + cars.com = "eCarmony". That's how I found a babied Odyssey at a Honda dealer in California while I was in Maui. I could check out not only accident history, but service history. This had been serviced frequently and regularly at that dealership, proved to be in great shape except for vibration from a bad motor mount which dealer replaced under their warranty.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the (always) good Forum advice.

I let my son "pick his own rig" and I gave him a budget of $5,000.... which he immediately exceeded.

He set his heart on an Audi A4 Turbo Quattro... and for that price he could only get a 2007 or 2006 model year. All of them had 90K+ miles on them.

The first car dealer was a clip joint. They advertised a blue '07 A4T for the market price, $5,800. When it came time to talk money, they tacked on +$2,000 in "fees and charges."

I figured it was a negotiating tactic... so we looked at two other A4T's. The second was an '06 and it was a mess. They had to jump it to get it started, I could hear the suspension scraping and the paint on the passenger side looked like acid had been thrown on it. When they popped the hood I had to pick out several acorns that were laying on the manifold.

The third A4T was "the wrong color", gold. Otherwise in good shape. Dealer came down from $6,500 to $5,700 out the door.

Went back to the first dealer, I opened the envelope of cash for him:

"We're going to buy a car today, if you can get me out the door for $5,800, cash, we'll buy from you."

Of course, he went to "discuss" it with his manager. Manager came out and said "We can do $7,200."

I said "no" and we walked.

So now my son has a gold A4T with birch blonde wood accents and tan leather. The exhaust pipe coupling needed to be replaced... a $22 part and a pal is going to put that on for $20 labor.

Otherwise, the son is happy.

Now, I'm in the market for a car...

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post