SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What state has the worst traffic?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What state has the worst traffic? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
being small town by choice these past 40 years, my tolerance for the benefits of congestion under the rubric of 'restaurants/entertainment/etc' is markedly altered;

My 'Jaws of Hell' award currently is Seattle and I refuse to go north of Centralia. PDX has it's own moments/hours of absurd/pointless gridlock, as I no longer have excuse to dally there.

Chicago/LA/Denver have all surpassed my ability to endure and I no longer approach within hundreds of miles.

My introduction to Houston a few years back was marred by 3 1/2 hours to travel about 5 miles.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I worked in the Boston area just before and after the Ted Williams Tunnel was opened. While the tunnel helped traffic flow around the airport, much of the region remains a road system of paved cow paths and psychopaths with one hand on the wheel and the other flying the bird. I disliked visiting there back before nav software on smartphones became cheap and effective. You hesitate or merely blink, you're dead. You can't make the turn or the merge. And one wrong turn, you're in the middle of the youth meeting at the Brockton Gun & Knife Club.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but I hate the Front Range of Colorado from Fort Collins all the way to the Springs.

Denver Metro Area driving tip: Drive in the right lane, NOBODY drives there. Big Grin

Posts: 13259 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I have visited and driven in LA and Houston enough to know I would never want to live in either city.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
US23 in Michigan between Rogers City and Cheboygen. Might be damn near 4 cars and 1 tractor trailer going by every hour. It gets worse Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day weekends; they tow boats. Of course all hell breaks loose mid-November when the hordes of deer hunters show up. Gotta be at least twenty of them all towing trailers with ATV/UTVs. Of course we leave before snow mobile season. One can only take so much.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Chicago is horrendous.

Second. It's ridiculous the hours of the day on a Sunday and it's still horrendous.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
LA, hands down. if Cali was the most gun friendly state in the country, and LA was the most gun friendly city, in the super gun friendly state of California, I still wouldn't live in LA because of the traffic.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Los Angeles ranks first with an average of 81 hours per year spent in traffic.
San Francisco ranks third with an average of 75 hours.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I can only talk about cities I drive in. Which is all any of can do.

Austin, Texas.

Way worse than Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, or San Antonio.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the size of the city ​and population, Louisville, KY. is just plain unbelievable. There's parts of the City​ that will take you more than an hour to drive one (1) mile.

Grid lock on all major roads and interstates and highways for hours.

You would think that Louisville was a much more populated city then it is. Not only that, but endless road construction, yet the roads never get better!

I stay the hell away from there as much as possible, but unfortunately I have to go there sometime.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
LA, by far. I've driven in Taipei, Tokyo, Paris, Manhattan, DC, every major city in Texas, and many others all over the place, and LA is the worst of all, to me. The sheer scope of it...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Have driven in LA, Houston, and extensively in Atlanta. LA is by far worse than either Houston or Atlanta. Houston people talk about how bad their traffic is, but being from ATL, I wasn't impressed. It can be difficult if you're a visitor and don't know your way around, though, driving on what is basically one gigantic Spaghetti Junction (for the Atlanta folks.)

But LA... there is bumper to bumper traffic 24 hours a day, in my limited experience driving there.

Atlanta, there are good commutes and bad commutes. Its gotten to where weekends are as bad as work days, and maybe worse, because out of towners not knowing where they're going. I'm sure that contributes a lot to LA.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I haven't lived a lot of places, but the DC beltway is pretty horrible. One of the greatest pleasures I got in my 30 years of living there was shutting down the beltway. The occasion was a sad one, a funeral, but I didn't know the guy personally. He was a fellow officer in my wife's department, and he was to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery. The service was outside the beltway on New Hampshire Ave, and when it came time for the trip to Arlington, 4 cruisers were detailed to block all four lanes of the beltway where New Hampshire entered, and I was riding shotgun in one of them. Montgomery County motor officers also blocked each entrance ramp on the path to the river, and similar courtesy from US Park Police on the VA side. It was a very eerie ride on the beltway that day, with just the funeral procession having the entire roadway.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personal experiences:

NoVa / DC is horrible. Like horrible traffic on freaking SATURDAY!

Atlanta is really bad.

Charlotte is bad but do-able.

LA is unreal for the sheer number of cars on the roads but the highways are so prevalent and built up they mostly have the capacity to handle it.

Raleigh / Durham has been pretty bad lately because of the massive growth and the infrastructure has not come close to keeping up... They have had I40 under 'reconstruction' for about 2 years now. It is not uncommon to take 90 minutes to go 25-30 miles. For a relatively small MSA that's pretty crappy.

Traffic sucks.

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phoenix in rush hour sucks too. When I came to scout for jobs in Arizona wanting to move to a free state from New York, I experienced Phoenix traffic and decided to go to the much less densely populated Prescott area. Another place that sucks is the island of Oahu

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
LA, I've driven in every major metro in the country. No one can compete.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Looks like LA is the majority nominee which I support.

In addition to the sheer traffic volume, traffic during non-commute hours is slowed down by some local practice of freeway traffic slowing down near exit and on ramps. I don't understand the reason except for maybe people don't know how to get off and on freeways. But even the number 1 lanes are affected by this phenomenon.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the opportunity to drive in a lot of places and DC with its 8/10 lane parking lot is bad, as can be NYC, but Boston, Mass. was by far the worst place ever to get behind the wheel, you are putting your life into everyone else's hands.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
LA, by far. I've driven in Taipei, Tokyo, Paris, Manhattan, DC, every major city in Texas, and many others all over the place, and LA is the worst of all, to me. The sheer scope of it...

This.

LA's traffic is a nightmare because of the scope. Traffic in a city center is expected. Traffic all the way out into every side street, and suburb 50 miles out from the city center and spilling into the next county...that's LA.

I will say, however, that although the congestion is bad--the drivers themselves seem to be pretty skilled and well behaved. Traffic is a daily occurrence, so you don't often see shenanigans like people trying to use the shoulder as an additional lane or cutting to the front of a line.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When I was there (1969-1971), most traffic engineers said Tehran, Iran was the worst. The people had just transitioned from donkeys to automobiles, and the latter don't have brains or common sense. Couple that with the typical attitude that "no one has any rights but me" and it really makes a mess. Iranians didn't ever queue up for anything, and at traffic signals they'd stop, and then overflow over onto the other half of the street. When the light went green there were two full lines of cars facing each other trying to funnel down to the correct driving lanes. Four-way blockages where each car had its front bumper in the center of the driver's door ahead of it were common. Have you ever seen a one-way dead-end street? Tehran had them. Iranians didn't pay any attention to one-way signs--they were for everyone else.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post