SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What state has the worst traffic?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What state has the worst traffic? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
The DC area rush hours are pretty bad on the Virginia side. People commuting from 60 miles away to the south (Fredricksburg) and from 50 miles away to the west (Leesburg). Rush hour can be from about 6am-9am and 3pm-7pm, depending on where you are going.

I'm west of Charlotte, and I know the interstate and 2 lane country roads can get pretty backed up. On Friday at 5pm, I passed a 1.5 mile line of cars waiting to reach a T-intersection, and there was no accident. Luckily I was going the opposite way.

And, if there's an accident on the interstate, people bail off onto the country roads and then it's gridlock.

Generally, driving around the Charlotte area is a pleasure compared to DC/NOVA.

My vote, Atlanta.

Problem with Charlotte is trying to get OUT or IN during rush hours. I absolutely avoid 77 north of the city if it's near rush hour. It's a complete shit sandwich. Absolute stop. Other than that area, the rest sucks, but not Big City sucks.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
It's been a long long time since I've been to Austin. I don't remember the traffic being that bad. Was more like a small city when I visited in the 90's.

The good old days. Austin metro now in excess of 2 mil and growing fast with very little infrastructure.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It might be more accurate to ask which city or metro area has the worse traffic rather than the state. For example, these are both in California.

Posts: 28642 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It has really gotten bad in Northern VA. Back when I was working in 1992, we had people from Fredericksburg and one maintenance person from Front Royal. Over time, one person was in a bad accident, during winter months they were late to work and left early to beat the traffic. Big Grin

Even though they have upgraded he roads, the traffic has only gotten worst.

Posts: 11881 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You guys are cherry picking certain city's and then calling out the whole state.

Florida, from border to border has the worst traffic and drivers. To make matters worse, in the winter the place fills up with lousy drivers from New York and New Jersey..

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7271 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Okay after 2 million miles in all 48 states, 1rst place. I-95 from Richmond to Philadelphia. 2nd San Francisco bay area during rush hour with some of the worst roads you will ever see.
Worst drivers in the industrial world, Texas with Dallas leading the pack. I have never seen such stupidity in my whole life.

Posts: 3770 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
To make matters worse, in the winter the place fills up with lousy drivers from New York and New Jersey..

We have that problem even in little old Wickenburg, except they are mostly from the North Western states, and Canada. Clueless drivers, for the most part.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
Okay after 2 million miles in all 48 states, 1rst place. I-95 from Richmond to Philadelphia. 2nd San Francisco bay area during rush hour with some of the worst roads you will ever see.
Worst drivers in the industrial world, Texas with Dallas leading the pack. I have never seen such stupidity in my whole life.

San Fran was the worst I ever experienced, but it was such a small sample size, I figured something was out of the normal. 1 week trip spent half in traffic. The bridge was cool, other than that the city smelled of piss and all the restaurants were way over priced.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:

Driven in 41 of the 50 States and probably logged as many miles. Had residencency in 17 of those 41 States over the last 30 years... and couldn't agree more! Not the mud-lovers in AR, the Wild & Wonderful West Virginians, the remote Bozites or the passive aggressive Germans in PA have anything on DFW drivers. Over 18 months, the shit I saw was remarkable and was many times considered commonplace. Just don't flip off another driver, no matter how stupid an act they perform b/c they'll decide to take some form of retribution. It's like Rome on crack cocaine & yes, I've driven there too.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Strange. I have been to DFW area a number of times, never noticed any bad traffic. Most times the meetings have been in the hotel I was staying in and I only went out at night. Hotel to DFW was never bad. I stayed near old Dallas stadium and near grassy knoll. Still have the glasses from The Dome. Thought the area was pleasant.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I'm a city guy. I like living where the action is so that usually means I have to deal with traffic. I have lived all over northern NJ, NYC, Pittsburgh, and now Charlotte. NYC traffic is an animal all it's own but as long as you don't leave Manhattan it still moves. Same for Pittsburgh. I always lived in the downtown area so I didn't have to venture out of the city very often. As long as you didnt need to go over a bridge or through a tunnel traffic was very managable. You can get across the downtown area in 12-15 min. Charlotte is similar being a small big City. I don't have many issues getting around the city even in rush hour. Leaving the city is a whole other story. Of all the places I have traveled LA and Atlanta had to be the worst. I was in Atlanta for the NRA convention and got there 3 days in advance. The traffic was horrendous even in the city. One day it took me 1.5 hours to go 7 miles. A kid on a tricycle could have gotten there faster. LA is very frustrating too. Bumper to bumper is an undestatement. It's funny though because in LA sometimes you will be bumper to bumper but moving at 40 miles an hour.

Who do you guys think has the worst traffic?

I'm blown away by the traffic in Charlotte :/
And the way the roads aren't in square grids.
I'm from Mississippi, I'm in shock !

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have driven the Los Angeles and Bay Area corridors for years. Out of all of the major cities I have driven, Austin and Seattle are the cities that compare.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17152 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hands down, the greater Los Angeles region. Nowhere else in the U.S. comes close. San Francisco has its moments because of the limited ingress/egress from the city, but so much of their businesses and jobs are located outside of the city limits. Traffic is often heavy but it's nothing close to what Lalaland's endless gridlock is. However Seattle is definitely making a run at that top spot. Mass transit is the pits and what progress there's been is measured in budget-smashing baby steps. Then there's that physical shape of the city itself; its hourglass funneling of traffic patterns and drive times is starting to rival L.A.'s, only not quite as far-reaching over as large an audience. Though I do know of several folk who do one-way, 100+ mile commutes.

But taking 65 minutes on surface streets to drive 3.8 miles from the north end of their downtown (lower Queen Anne) to just south of it (SODO, and Home Depot) during the evening commute...that's Seattle.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post