SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's talk western boots. What are you folks liking?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Let's talk western boots. What are you folks liking? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
The last pair I bought were from White's Boot Co., sold under their Hathorn label. White's are most famous for their famous Smokejumper boot worn by a couple generations of wildland firefighters.

Their western boots are very plain jane, but are custom fit, made with quality components, and are built to last. You can order several different soles from single-ply leather to double thickness synthetic. A couple of different heel choices as well, just not the full riding heel with this particular boot. Not very dressy, but serviceable, and for custom--reasonable.

I've got a hard-to-fit narrow foot and all my boots are custom, so they get kinda spendy--Paul Bond and Wilson. Used to really like Olathe boots when they were made in Olathe, KS. After the company sold and the business moved to Texas (Larry Mahan bought them out, I believe), I couldn't wear them anymore. They downright hurt my feet. Big disappointment, those were just custom order boots for me and I had 5 or 6 pairs before things went south--both literally and figuratively

I like a lot of Lucchese boots, but they just don't fit me. I custom ordered a pair in Cody at a big boot store just a couple years ago. Really disappointed that they didn't work for me.

I like those boots by Whites, if you don't mind what did they ran you?

I believe they were well under $400. I want to say about $360

Wow....think I found my next pair

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
I like a lot of Lucchese boots, but they just don't fit me. I custom ordered a pair in Cody at a big boot store just a couple years ago. Really disappointed that they didn't work for me.

It makes them even more expensive, but you can go tour the Lucchese factory in El Paso and get them to mold your foot and make a custom last for you. They'll hold on to it for any time you order a pair of boots.

Between the many recommendations for the brand and this critical tidbit of information, maybe I'll consider a custom pair in the future. That's not a horribly long flight from here and I have a lot of family there I haven't seen in twenty years or so. My wife has been pestering me to go out and meet them since we met. Besides, hometown and all that. Wink

Guess I better start saving those nickels and thinking about what I want. Big Grin

I haven't done it, but I'm going to eventually - I have a couple of alligator hides from alligators my dad killed maybe 25 years ago. I was there for at least one of them (I was a little kid at the time). They are obviously sentimentally irreplaceable.

I want to get boots made out of them, and I want to get the best boots I possibly can that will fit perfectly and last forever.

Based on my one pair of off-the-shelf Luccheses (buffalo calf almost-ropers that are head and shoulders above any other pair of boots I've had), that means getting Lucchese to do it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I had several pairs of boots I wore long ago and then stopped wearing them. I recently started wearing boots again and bought a pair of Lucchese and I love them. They fit great and there wasn't a break-in period.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, I got a pair of the Ariat Heritage Ropers in Deertan Black for Christmas and decided to wear them to church this morning to start breaking them in. I would say the bulk of the work was pretty well done after about two hours. Ridiculously comfortable! Even more so than the other pair in weathered brown, if that's somehow possible. In fact, I have been wearing them all day and when I do kick them off, they go back on in short order. Would highly recommend for a plain, affordable western boot style in either leather finish.

Between the two, I can see myself being happy for daily wear and even dress events for quite some time. However, it has ignited a new passion, and an American made (and likely made in Texas) pair will be in the future.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Charlie Dunn. Long Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fg3y_PvUxM

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Report This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have had a pair of Lucchese boots for over 30 years.I quit wearing them about 10 years ago because my feet changed (got fatter)and the boots were no longer comfortable to wear.

A post about boots here about a year ago got my interest in them again. I contacted Lucchese to see if they could fix my old pair.

They sent me a pre-paid UPS sticker and said send them back. It took about 2 months but they stretched my boots and re-conditioned them FREE OF CHARGE and then sent them back to me paying the return shipping.They did not ask for one penny to cover anything.
You don't find customer service like that much any more.
I wouldn't think of ever buying another brand.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Report This Post
rush chairman
Picture of Guy1
posted Hide Post
Have to jump on the Lucchese bandwagon. They last and are easy to break in.

One brand I haven't seen mentioned yet is Twisted X. Great daily boot. The sole is rubber and the inside feels almost like a tennis shoe. Durable and comfortable.

Posts: 713 | Location: MS | Registered: November 21, 2001Report This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I can only wear square toed boots. I have 2 pairs of luchesse that I love. Also have a cheap pair of ariats that are pretty comfortable.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
All depends on what you are doing with them. I use Ariat ropers for ranch work boots. Beat the crap out of them every single day and don't think twice about it. They are a consumable and and when snow seal can now longer make them waterproof they get tossed and replaced. Some of the boots in this thread are flaming works of art though and subjecting any of them to the kind of abuse my work boots get would be criminal.

I think I have learned about some options for a really present for myself one of these days... They'll never be work boots though. Smile

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I have picked up four pair of Lucchese's over the years, my first pair was picked up just after college still have them in peanut brittle full quill ostrich.
Then a pair of smooth ostrich ropers for work.
Then a pair of black elephant ropers at their San Antonio store.
Last pair was a gift from my wife of Black Cayman belly, that I wear out to dinner and with my suit.

I have a high instep and Lucchese's fit me well with their twisted cone last designs.

I also have had Justin's and a pair or Nocona roach killers.

All made in Texas as god intended it!

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Lucchese Or then there's Lucchese...

quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Rios of Mercedes. Period.

Hmm. What are we to do now? Big Grin

A duel? Big Grin

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
Coming in late to the boot thread Big Grin

A couple of mine, made in USA Coffeeville on the left, Justins on the right....

my wifes Dan Post, something about a girl in boots Wink

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Report This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Pulled out my two ostrich boots for some pics.
The first are Lucchese cognac ostrich leg.
The second are cognac ostrich quill from the African Boot Co.
Nairobi's oldest shoe store established in 1927.
I wear these more than any other boot I own.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ariats for work. Lucchese for pleaure & everything else! Also fond of the T-Lamas...

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
GrumpyBiker.....beautiful boots!

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Try to find quality 4E or 6E wide boots.... Had a horsehide pair custom made for me by Stewart out of Tucson back in the very early '80s. Spendy! Had 'em resoled and even the whole bottom redone. Finally retired them after 30 years of hard wear.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Lucchese, if the wallet permits.

Yup. The pair I want are under $600, which is cheap for handmade.

This guy here, Jerry Hill, knows boots. North Scottsdale, Saba's Western Wear.

Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I shop at the store the OP mentioned in the first post in this thread, amazing store! It's been there forever. Kinda like stepping back in time to go there now.
http://www.countrysquarewesternwear.com/

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomgun:
I shop at the store the OP mentioned in the first post in this thread, amazing store! It's been there forever. Kinda like stepping back in time to go there now.
http://www.countrysquarewesternwear.com/

I have never tried a pair of their custom boots, but I sure enjoyed looking around M.L. Leddy in the historic Ft Worth Stockyards area. I believe all I left there with was a cool necktie, but the people were great and store is cool as hell

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post