SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm going to start shopping for a new business vehicle
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm going to start shopping for a new business vehicle Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:
Not wanting to create a thread drift, but why are you looking at getting out of mowing?
I'm capped at what one guy can make. The equipment is so expensive that a lot of what I do make goes to that. There are so many uninsured companies out there that can undercut us legit guys. They usually only last one year but they still take work away. Old folk still think $4 is good money for a mow. And the biggest reason is that I've found its better to take a little bit of money from a lot of people than to take a lot of money from a little bit of people.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
My accountant says that a pick up requires you to track your business mileage separate from your personal mileage for tax purposes.

quote:
I do not have a pix handy but a 1 ton with a Knapahide service truck that has the raised top on it would be the "cats meow" imho.

But that same pick up with a work body on it is 100% business use for tax purposes.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Mark, my two pennies here...

Sprinter all day!
Low bed.
Bulk head and vented cargo bay. Reduced smell..
Double or single axle.
Diesel and lots of stock space for Aux batteries.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it (ie Pickup Truck).

Or you could really upgrade and get an EM-50.

Stripes?

That's a fact, Jack!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigmule:

Sprinter all day!
Low bed.
Double or single axle.
I don't know whay that is.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sj4550:
quote:
Originally posted by sj4550:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

Sprinter all day!
Low bed.
Double or single axle.

Dodge's newer commercial vans. They have smaller and large versions. You see alot of plumbers and a/c guys running them. My son sometimes drives one at the motorcycle shop. Has a sliding deck and they load a Harley in them with ease.

Posts: 378 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sprinter all day!
Low bed.
Double or single axle.
Not sure about currently, but when I looked at a Sprinter for our business, they were made by Mercedes and could be bought as a Mercedes, or re-badged Dodge or FreightLiner. That was a few years ago.

Very nice van, Mercedes turbo-diesel engine. A pretty extensive choice of sizes and load capacity. We were looking at a large body for room, but no requirement for heavy weight capacity. Really wanted it, but it was too pricey.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I think the sprinters are all v-6. Will that handle a 200 gallon tank and 1100 lbs of fertilizer? I have been happy with a 350 gas engine.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
If you are going with a pickup, check this

https://www.4are.com/fleet/

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
If you are going with a pickup, check this

https://www.4are.com/fleet/
Excellent information. Thank you.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
While I may be talking out my derrière, I've always thought the Sprinters were made for bulk rather than weight. And the brakes will get chewed up with any kind of serious weight in the truck. And a dual rear is no answer.

I'd associate a flatbed with a fabricated diamond-plate machinery cabinet with your type of business. Something rated for the 5,000 pounds in the bed. Sounds like you'll be carrying over 3,000 pounds.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
While I may be talking out my derrière, I've always thought the Sprinters were made for bulk rather than weight. And the brakes will get chewed up with any kind of serious weight in the truck. And a dual rear is no answer.

I'd associate a flatbed with a fabricated diamond-plate machinery cabinet with your type of business. Something rated for the 5,000 pounds in the bed. Sounds like you'll be carrying over 3,000 pounds.
At least at the beginning of the day.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the sprinters are all v-6. Will that handle a 200 gallon tank and 1100 lbs of fertilizer? I have been happy with a 350 gas engine.

quote:
When the 2019 Sprinter Cargo Van is equipped with a 144” wheelbase and a standard roof height it has the ability to handle 319.1 cubic feet of cargo inside. This same setup provides the 2019 Sprinter Cargo Van with a 3,501-pound payload capacity and a 5,000-pound max tow rating.

link

Price of a used one may be an issue, but not capacity it seems.

Sample used pricing

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i ran across a fed ex guy at a fueling station in a Sprinter type rig. It was a newer unit. Pieces falls off of it. I asked the guy how he liked driving it. He did not have a lot of good to say about it. This one was a Mercedes with diesel iirc. While probably good rigs. Not what I would be looking for in the type of business and rig you would need, imho.

Not sure if they come in 4wd, but think I would buy a 4wd rig iiwy. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Mark, I see you are familiar with Knapheide https://www.knapheide.com/products

From my past experience their support after the sale is top tier the last 16 years I was in dealerships I dealt a lot with them. I don't think you could go wrong with them.

If you do not mind a little drive to Michigan I have two ex-coworkers at two different GM dealers that deal with commercial and fleet sales. I can put you in touch with both of them. One is just outside of Detroit, the other in Lansing. I'm out of that business almost two years but still keep in touch with them.

Gas vs. Duramax, it's going to depend how far you drive, miles between stops, idle time and how long you are planning to own it as least as I see it. And I would probably lean toward the C-K (pickup) chassis. The G series vans are a bear to work and there are currently only two choices for engines, the 4.3L V6 and the 6.0L V8, both gas. Duramax is no longer available in that chassis.

Let me know if I can be any help.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Stripes?
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Figured someone had to get it sooner or later. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Mark, I see you are familiar with Knapheide https://www.knapheide.com/products

From my past experience their support after the sale is top tier the last 16 years I was in dealerships I dealt a lot with them. I don't think you could go wrong with them.

If you do not mind a little drive to Michigan I have two ex-coworkers at two different GM dealers that deal with commercial and fleet sales. I can put you in touch with both of them. One is just outside of Detroit, the other in Lansing. I'm out of that business almost two years but still keep in touch with them.

Gas vs. Duramax, it's going to depend how far you drive, miles between stops, idle time and how long you are planning to own it as least as I see it. And I would probably lean toward the C-K (pickup) chassis. The G series vans are a bear to work and there are currently only two choices for engines, the 4.3L V6 and the 6.0L V8, both gas. Duramax is no longer available in that chassis.

Let me know if I can be any help.

I'm still in the decision and option phase but I may hit you up, of course BigSwede is also in the mix.

I drive anywhere from 6 to 30 miles a day depending on the route. Lots of idling in traffic and lots and lots of turning the engine on and off during the day. I really don't see a benefit to diesel.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Can anyone explain why a GMC truck is about $5500 more than a comparable Chevy?

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anyone explain why a GMC truck is about $5500 more than a comparable Chevy?

It shouldn't be, might have something to do with " select model bonus cash" it's extra money on the somewhat older inventory and won't be on others. GMC and Chevy has it

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post