SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    University of California microagression list
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

University of California microagression list Login/Join 
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
As a cisgendered occidental male expressing as a cisgendered occidental male, I’m deeply offended by this gibberish.

-Loungechair

Posts: 675 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should hand this out to EVERY SINGLE STUDENT with instructions that if ANY faculty member exhibits these micro aggression's they should be reported to the Dean of Students.

Because in my opinion this document illustrates behaviors that are quite common among the faculty of any learning institution in this Nation.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what kind of gainful employment, long term, is there for a graduate of this program?

If we call it “hyper-sensitivity”, what useful work can he/she do without being offended?

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we call it “hyper-sensitivity”, what useful work can he/she do without being offended?

Clearly, a position of authority such as head of Human Resources for blue collar workers.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for that.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is so outlandish I can only conclude the students in the UC system are so coddled that they can't actually stand under the rays of a neon light without getting sunburned.

I'm afraid for them AND I'm afraid for our country if this nonsense actually takes root.

The good news is they will wilt if actually confronted.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
do they actually do their own homework and take their own exams

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
do they actually do their own homework and take their own exams

Seems in my college surrounds, there is increasing concern with cheating. And students are getting increasingly sophisticated in their methods.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna take a WAG and say, this didn't come out of any of the STEM departments.
quote:
UC Santa Cruz has been a pioneer in the war against microaggressions and in 2016 hosted a forum titled “Microaggression in the Classroom.” The event was part of UCSC’s “Mentoring Program for Faculty,” sponsored by the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

No surprise Roll Eyes Santa Cruz has been trying to out-do Berkeley since that campus was created in the 60's.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I'm gonna take a WAG and say, this didn't come out of any of the STEM departments.
quote:
UC Santa Cruz has been a pioneer in the war against microaggressions and in 2016 hosted a forum titled “Microaggression in the Classroom.” The event was part of UCSC’s “Mentoring Program for Faculty,” sponsored by the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

No surprise Roll Eyes Santa Cruz has been trying to out-do Berkeley since that campus was created in the 60's.

STEM is great discussion material. Problem is, gaining STEM skills requires effort, and effort is not an ingredient of social justice/diversity/equality.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The microaggression BS has been reported at a number of universities.

The list in the OP is from Univ of California Santa Cruz

more of the same at

https://www.ucsc.edu/search/?i...ggression&gsc.page=1

“A microaggression is any slight you perceive is based on a social identity you have,” she said. They can happen across identities. They also happen anywhere: with friends, at the coffee shop, in the gym, even in the classroom and on campus.

As part of her study, Byrd launched the mobile app MicroReport that allowed UC Santa Cruz students to report microaggressions they experienced or saw in the community. App users could also view reports of others. Six hundred incidents of microaggressions and other forms of discrimination and stereotyping were reported by more than 300 students.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
The microaggression BS has been reported at a number of universities.

The list in the OP is from Univ of California Santa Cruz

more of the same at

https://www.ucsc.edu/search/?i...ggression&gsc.page=1

“A microaggression is any slight you perceive is based on a social identity you have,” she said. They can happen across identities. They also happen anywhere: with friends, at the coffee shop, in the gym, even in the classroom and on campus.

As part of her study, Byrd launched the mobile app MicroReport that allowed UC Santa Cruz students to report microaggressions they experienced or saw in the community. App users could also view reports of others. Six hundred incidents of microaggressions and other forms of discrimination and stereotyping were reported by more than 300 students.

An app to report microagressions?

As I noted earlier from my own training, microagressions are the domain of white males; and those claiming victimization don't need to prove the incident, their claim is deemed valid.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Somebody needs to email this twatwaffle and counsel her such that macro-aggressions are added to her app. I have no interest in offending any of these nitwits on a micro level. Wink

I so wish this story was from The Onion. What an incredibly weak and worthless culture we're becoming.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Every thing these (insert group name) groups do to assert their victimization is a macro/micro aggression in my eyes, is highly offensive and thus by their own rules must stop

The End

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
If I tell them to fuck off is that a micro or macro aggression?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

I am afraid that is beyond macro. That would call for immediate multiyear therapy and medical psychological intervention / emotional salvation emergency response teams.

The good news is that is all covered by obamacare.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
What about a boot in the ass? Is that covered? What if they have to surgically remove said boot?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
What about a boot in the ass? Is that covered? What if they have to surgically remove said boot?
Actually, that would rate a big...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I find myself much less able to deal with silly bullshit, like this.