SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pocket Knife recommendation
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket Knife recommendation Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Some flavor of Benchmade Axis lock. Comes in a variety of styles and sizes.

As mentioned several times already, it's pretty tough to beat the Doug Ritter Griptilian, either full size or mini, depending on your preference.

You'll want to budget for some better/nicer scales, though. The plastic factory scales on the Grips are rather chintzy.

This is a full size Ritter Griptilian with AWT aluminum scales:

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
A Benchmade 940 is a good choice. I think they are hard to beat. Moderate size. Strong lock. Good cutters.

Yes this.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I also have the Delica posted by NavyGuy, I carry it when hunting or working around the house, etc...... the Titanium is what I carry when I am dressed for work or out on the town. Both can be had for ~$200 total.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
What I predict for the OP is that he'll spend way too much money and buy a knife that won't serve his needs. At least the first and second cycles. Its why I would suggest picking a not too expensive alternative. It will or should teach some preferences and not be too painful when it gets lost.

Could be, but maybe not. I never carried a knife everyday until I saw one in The Essential Edge that was just so.... perfect. In my eyes, it had beautiful functional lines. Purported to be very well made, in the US, of a new, great knife steel. Even so, what sold me was how it looked.

Agony put it up. "Wow," I thought. "I *want* that. *Really* want it. But $65, damn."

The Spyderco Native in S30V, circa... 2005? 2006?

That damn thing is in my pocket as we speak.

I bought what spoke to me, and have used the crap out of it.

(Hat tip, Agony.)

[And yes, now that I'm older and wiser I realize that $65 for a tool you'll use every day for 11 years is money well spent.]

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I like the Kershaw Leek. You can buy 8 or 10 of them for $300.

Check out Benchmade if you really want to spend more, or for semi-custom, Williams Knife Company.

just picked up one of these and really like it,

honestly ,

for $300. I could fill up a drawer of decent folders

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I love the mini griptilian. I love benchmade and this is my edc. I have a couple spyderco and they are nice as well.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best bang/buck that I've found has been the Kershaw Half Ton. $15, not too long, great all around utility and tough. Mine's missing, but my old Barlow folder that Dad gave me.... oh, probably 25 years ago is presently doing fine handling chores.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Spyderco Native.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Kerhaws. In truth, this is the most useful one I have, and also the lowest priced. I carry one every day. I have several, and have removed the clip from some to make them slimmer.

Kershaw 1306BW Filter Knife with SpeedSafe

Amazon, about 18 bucks

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loaded Round:
Another leek carrier here. Just add a low carry clip like this:

MXG Gear Clip

Then it's just about perfect.

Like many of my internet friends on the Sigforum, I clearly spend too much time on here....

Things like this are why, I rarely go a day checking in that I don't learn something new. Ordering this tonight.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Another fan of the Small Sebenza. It is a pretty thin knife and built like a bank vault.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Here's the Kershaw Leek with the Gerber Covert Folder. Recently the Gerber was back to the shop for a bit of warranty repair. As an all-purpose tool knife, the Kershaw didn't cut it. The handle is too slim and small for me. The knife does not open nearly as easily as the Gerber. Single handed operation, from draw, open, use, close, re-stow, I never did get all the middle steps down without having to use both hands. The Gerber, always a one-handed operation. Either hand if your ambidexi.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the Gerber, Woodman, but my Kershaw Leek opens one handed like buttah, one flick of the finger. Maybe yours needs some factory love?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Chris Reeve Sebenza. A used one should fit your budget.
You wont regret it.

Agreed. With that budget a used Sebenza is a fine knife that'll last a lifetime, in style. A modern utilitarian gentleman's knife - if there ever was such a thing.

Conversely, I carried a cheap original Delica all through Desert Storm and for years beyond, damn fine pocket knife, and almost cheap enough to treat badly without a care. I also have the little yellow Dragon Fly Salt model, too, which is great for fishing/water.

Benchmade makes many nice knives, too. I owned a big Skirmish for years, great knife.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
Looking for light, sturdy, good steel, not too thick folding pocket knife. Budget is around $300 or less.

Thanks in advance

File this one under...

"How to open a floodgate"!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Without knowing anything besides your location (maybe salty air from the ocean?) you want it to fit in your pocket, and cut stuff in general, I would recommend a Spyderco Delica in H1 steel.

Grand Prairie Knives link

My favorite feature? It will never rust. I've put older verdions of this knife to the test under the wettest and goopiest hunting conditions, and never been disappointed.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I carry a CRK sebenza daily. I feel like its a piece of utility jewelry. Refined but rugged. I have a couple of them, you can find them used for 300 easily.

When I go camping and hiking I take a spyderco para 2 with me. I have full faith in the knife and if I loose or break it, for 100 bucks I'm not worried.

I also have full faith in the benchmade axis lock, I just don't feel compelled by most of the style's that have the lock right now.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If you really want to spend $300, there's ZT Zero Tolerance

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mentioned light but not small. You mentioned around $300 or less which to me says you want something around $300.

That makes this easy, ZT0850. Came out this year, right in your price range.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Z...ub-Frame-Lock--52150

Full carbon fiber frame with their patented subframe lock, very high end steel, 3d machined titanium clip that has excellent retention. It's on the larger side but because of the construction, it is much much lighter than other knives in that size range.

I own one and it's my favorite knife so far this year.

Barring that, your three best choices are:

ZT0450
Spyderco Paramilitary 2
Benchmade 940

They are all perennial best sellers for the three best mainstream knife manufacturers out there.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I haven't used the Gerber, Woodman, but my Kershaw Leek opens one handed like buttah, one flick of the finger. Maybe yours needs some factory love?

Or more practice! It is so slender, it's hard for me to grip. Next road trip, I'll flick it open a few thousand times while I drive.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post