SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Porsche Cayenne? Or Perhaps A VW Touareg? Nope: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Porsche Cayenne? Or Perhaps A VW Touareg? Nope: Jeep Grand Cherokee Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I almost ended getting out 4 years ago when I went to the autoshow. Even put a deposit to order there. But next day after a good night sleep, I woke up to my senses. I did some logic on my thinking and tried to talk to them to cancel the order. If I lost some of the deposit, I can bear with my mistake.

Ended up getting a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon instead. Is not a comfy ride but I love it. I don't think I could have same feeling on a Cayenne. Dealing with maintainance and worry about getting door dings.

Luxury cars for me is not a thing, unless your are a millionare. I like more pratical and easy to troubleshoot.

Posts: 809 | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Neighbor had one. Great car until it turned in to a money pit. He literally could not afford to keep it after he paid it off.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Everything for it from that point on was ridiculously expensive to repair/replace, so much so she ditched it for a new BMW SUV (can't remember which model).

She doesn't learn too good, does she?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Everything for it from that point on was ridiculously expensive to repair/replace, so much so she ditched it for a new BMW SUV (can't remember which model).

She doesn't learn too good, does she?

I wonder if part of the "money pit" problem might not be, in actuality, a dealership problem, as suggested by a couple other posters? There were incidents with both my Honda Accord (years ago) and, more recently, with my TrailBlazer where, if I'd gone with the dealer on a repair it would've cost 2-4 times what it ended-up costing me at an independent repair place.

I'm going to stop by Monk's and see if they'll talk to me about Cayennes. I'm also going to look at other SUV-type vehicles. But so far none of them trips my trigger like a Cayenne.

OTOH: I can get, say, an Outback for half the cost.

On the gripping hand: I'm getting on in years, have nobody to whom to leave my "fortune" and I see no sense in the state getting it... Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the gripping hand: I'm getting on in years, have nobody to whom to leave my "fortune" and I see no sense in the state getting it...

Nice karma. Pick me! Thanks!

Posts: 7455 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2005 Touareg V8 with air suspension & all the works. Same components as Cayenne of that era. Loved every minute I drove it. At 10 years I began to run into expensive repairs, hatch struts $600, Cam belt $4500, so I traded for a Tiguan. Miss that Touareg.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
I had a 2005 Touareg V8 with air suspension & all the works. Same components as Cayenne of that era. Loved every minute I drove it. At 10 years I began to run into expensive repairs, hatch struts $600, Cam belt $4500, so I traded for a Tiguan. Miss that Touareg.

Read a funny comment in another forum: "A completely over the top and pointless car, but that's the appeal."

That more-or-less nails it. Question is: Would the repair/maintenance costs end up making one regret falling for the appeal? Some owners report relatively trouble-free experiences, others not so much.

I am getting a bit of a handle on what years have been most problematical, which the least, what mostly goes wrong, and what the costs are like. I have found that I probably want a 928 (2011 and later), and I probably want to avoid 2011 models. 2013 may be the best year, but I think that'd be too expensive. I think that, if I'm going to do this, I probably want to look for 2012s with relatively-low-ish miles.

This is the same process I used when we bought my 2007 TrailBlazer. It worked out fairly well. Or would have, had it not been for rust raising its ugly head Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
The engine is a rebadged VW unit...

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
A customer of mine (general contractor) bought one several years ago. He said the IRS made him buy it. What he meant was he could write it off as equipment. 6K GVW puts it in the same class as a dump truck, I understand. Maybe that could work for you.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of losvaqueros
posted Hide Post
After an ML, M3, 944 and a 911, I wouldn't hit a cat in the ass With another German vehicle.Best thing I've owned from Germany is my P228, perfection.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Mid Tenn | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments, everybody!

After the research and careful consideration I'm having second thoughts about whether I really need to spend nearly $30k on a five-year-old vehicle with 80k miles on it.

Now looking at Volkswagen Touaregs. Much the same vehicle for about $10k less, much newer and half the miles. Their owners must like them, or not many were sold, because I'm finding very few in my target year, 2014, and none w/in a 50 mile radius.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Or, go a little older & get the torque monster Touareg V10 TDI Eek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Or, go a little older & get the torque monster Touareg V10 TDI Eek

Smile

I do want to keep it somewhat "newer," and the mileage "reasonably" low, so I'm not looking to replace again in another few years. I'm already unhappy that the 2007 TrailBlazer isn't going to make it ten. (I've only had it for... four?)

Besides: Looking at the various repair history sites and so on: It looks like 2014 was a very good year for VW Touaregs.

Maybe that's why there are so few used ones on the market.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think you'd have to go back to something like 04-05 for the V10 TDI.

It popped in my head due to a 'powerful/performance SUV' thread on another forum.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Get a well cared for Porsche, or an Audi (with the Gen 3 EA88 motor, or v6). I've never heard anything good about the VW Toureg. It also used to get very poor JD Power quality ratings based on number of issues per 1000... This is coming from a VW owner.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Get a well cared for Porsche, or an Audi (with the Gen 3 EA88 motor, or v6).

Never much cottoned to Audis.

quote:
I've never heard anything good about the VW Toureg. It also used to get very poor JD Power quality ratings based on number of issues per 1000... This is coming from a VW owner.

I did notice the JD Power ratings weren't all that good.

Problem is: A two-year-older Cayenne with twice the miles will cost 1/3 to half again more. Sure, it'd be crazy fun, but...

Still: I'm thinking of hitting a nearby VW dealership that has a used Cayenne on the lot. I assume they'll have some Touaregs.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Definitely take a moment to drive an Audi Q7 or Q5!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Definitely take a moment to drive an Audi Q7 or Q5!

Not really a fan of the styling. What is with the gigantuous grills?

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
In a relatively short period of time, Cayennes, and now Macans have far surpassed 911s in sales. In 2016 Porsche sold just under 35,000 of the two SUV models. That same year they sold less than 9000 911s.

Boxster, Cayman, 911, and Panamera together total about 36% of sales. Cayenne and Macan together make up the remaining 64% of sales.

Yeah, Porsches are more expensive to maintain. They are also well built, reliable, and—typically, well cared for. Find a Cayenne that was well maintained. Find an independent shop that gets good recommendations. Take care of it, and you’ll probably find that it holds its value well and makes the purchase of your next Cayenne less painful.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have an 05 Touareg with the 4.7. Have 170,000 miles on it and it's been relatively trouble free, did the timing belts twice from a local guy that does good work, roughly 1800$ which included the pulley,water pump etc. Had some issues with the headlight assemblies which are fairly easy to replace. Had a bad thermostat which thru a check engine light and waited until the timing belt replacement(stuck open so drivable)to replace it. German engineering at their dumbest. Rear hatch struts are just about shot. Replaced the rotors once(pain in the ass if you don't have the right tristar socket. 8 quarts of synthetic every 10k miles. My wife still likes it,still tight. burns a little oil on startup,nothing drastic.....Stay away from 04 years.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post