SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Ford Looking to Bring a Car-Based Pickup Truck to the U.S.?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Ford Looking to Bring a Car-Based Pickup Truck to the U.S.? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I always liked the El Camino and Ranchero vehicles. Very handy for a lot of people that didn’t need or want a regular pickup that could still be handy around the house.

I have owned my '77 El Camino Classic since 1982. I can't imagine life without it!! It has 250 K miles on it, and still going strong.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search for the Chevrolet Tornado, only available in Latin America. See them all over Mexico.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Has existed in Australia as the Ford Falcon UTE for awhile now.
https://www.ford.com.au/about-.../History/falcon-ute/

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It used to be that the El Camino and Ranchero had (relatively) luxurious appointments inside while trucks were more spartan, yet they could still perform much of the work of a true truck. This started to change with the introduction of the "Rounded Line" C/K Chevy/GMC, which could be had with full upholstery, sound deadening, A/C and power windows and locks in its Scottsdale and Silverado trim levels, in 1973. Now that trucks are luxurious there is much less of a market niche for this type of vehicle.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cadillac Mirage?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
There are no photos of the 2020 Bronco on that site. And they're calling the Ranger, reinvented. Those little trucks never needed reinventing. Maybe a diesel would be neat. I've long felt from driving experience, the Mazda trucks were nicer than the Ranger. Both trucks being much the same. Ford is barking up a tree to think a customer will pay 71 grand for that long SUV rolling junk. I'd personally much rather own a Chevrolet in that size. Probably a better built vehicle too.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I think the appropriate response might be...Not a snowball's chance in hell. And much like Ford has done with the Ranger, if there really was a market for a car-based pickup, Ford would likely opt to bring it to market 6+ years after everyone else had a competing vehicle in that segment.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
And they're calling the Ranger, reinvented. Those little trucks never needed reinventing.
What I still haven't been able to get an answer to is whether the 'new' American Ranger is similar enough to the Foreign based Ranger for the huge foreign aftermarket industry to transfer to its American brother. It would be just like Ford to have made the American Ranger different enough that the current crop of aftermarket accessories won't work on it, and Ranger buyers will have to wait months (or years) for the aftermarket to catch up.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
I always liked the El Camino and Ranchero vehicles. Very handy for a lot of people that didn’t need or want a regular pickup that could still be handy around the house.

I have owned my '77 El Camino Classic since 1982. I can't imagine life without it!! It has 250 K miles on it, and still going strong.

What color/interior combo? I owned a 77 Classic from 77 to 83. Mine was black exterior with a firethorn interior. Started out as a 305 with F41 suspension. When I sold it I had changed it to 350, 327/350 cam, Edelbrock SP2P intake, headers with dual exhaust. B&M shift kit. Added a tilt column, factory cruise control and changed the steel rally wheels twice, the original 7" to 8" Corvette wheels with the full size police hub caps and in 79 changed to the Corvette aluminum YJ8 wheels. That ticked off a lot of 'Vette owners, at that time the wheels were under factory constraint. Working in a dealership I had my ways........wasn't cheap but still I had 'em, just knew the right people to call in Chevrolet......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

They are doing just that. I'm pretty excited for it.

Bronco Teaser

Meh. The IH Scout was better than the Bronco ever wanted to be IMO, and I'm a Ford guy.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
El Camino veteran here. 1974. Bright red. What I recall:
If a flake of snow landed within a half mile of it, it was instantly stuck.
The tail lights were mounted in its low mounted bumper. Which collected snow. Which froze to the tail light wires and tore them loose. So about half the year, I had no rear lights.
I think I will pass on any new versions.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
And they're calling the Ranger, reinvented. Those little trucks never needed reinventing.
What I still haven't been able to get an answer to is whether the 'new' American Ranger is similar enough to the Foreign based Ranger for the huge foreign aftermarket industry to transfer to its American brother. It would be just like Ford to have made the American Ranger different enough that the current crop of aftermarket accessories won't work on it, and Ranger buyers will have to wait months (or years) for the aftermarket to catch up.
I dont know how different they will be but the Ranger was a pretty sturdy little truck. A friend had a E cab in 4 wheel drive which I thought was a great little vehicle. He didnt take care of it and it showed. Later, he bought a B3000 and that little truck was better quality than its Ford counter part. The B3000 didnt have the same hauling power up hills but it made the Ranger pretty pale in fuel economy. His B3000 could stretch a gallon of fuel.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
A new Ranchero or El Camino would be awesome.

Perhaps Ford or Chevy could partner with Snapper, Wheel Horse, and Toro and provide a model that comes factory with a lawn mower in the back?

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:

What color/interior combo? I owned a 77 Classic from 77 to 83. Mine was black exterior with a firethorn interior. Started out as a 305 with F41 suspension. When I sold it I had changed it to 350, 327/350 cam, Edelbrock SP2P intake, headers with dual exhaust. B&M shift kit. Added a tilt column, factory cruise control and changed the steel rally wheels twice, the original 7" to 8" Corvette wheels with the full size police hub caps and in 79 changed to the Corvette aluminum YJ8 wheels. That ticked off a lot of 'Vette owners, at that time the wheels were under factory constraint. Working in a dealership I had my ways........wasn't cheap but still I had 'em, just knew the right people to call in Chevrolet......

My El Camino is a factory two tone....Buckskin and tan combo. The interior is a multi-color brown/tan tweed cloth. I replaced that anemic factory 350ci. in. motor with a "88 Chev. 454 with '97 427 cu. in. heads(increase compression), performance hydraulic cam, headers, large 4-bbl. carb. It has full power/a/c/ tilt and cruse......all of it works!! I installed 8" mini-lite wheels that were highlighted with the factory tan color and bigger/wider tires. It has the factory chrome bed rails and a hard flat tonneau top for the bed. It will pass anything but a gas station!!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Meh. The IH Scout was better than the Bronco ever wanted to be IMO, and I'm a Ford guy.

Unless you wanted to keep it for over 5 years. Scouts didn't wear out - they rusted away.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post