SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2008 Rockhopper 29 - worth fixing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2008 Rockhopper 29 - worth fixing? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have a 4-5 year old Rockhopper 26” that was about $800 new. It’s still in great shape. I usually do just easy trails - I don’t know the difference between enduro, xc, trail riding if that gives you an idea.

But I’ve been wondering about 29” bikes and a friend gave me a 2008 Rockhopper 29.

1. Front gear is a single speed so I would want/need two more gears, derailleur and shifter.
2. Tires are skinny road bike tires. Need to replace with 2.x” mountain bike tires.
3. Mechanical disk brakes. Condition tbd.
4. Need new seat.

Worth fixing up? I’m guessing maybe about $300? Or 29-er not worth it and/or this bike not worth fixing (29 worth it but just go buy a new one for $1000.)?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
You wrote that the trail riding you do is relatively easy, so does that mean you aren't too preoccupied w/ having the latest and greatest MTB technology? I'm guessing not, if you're OK riding 10 y/o bikes.

1. The trend now is to run 1-2 front chainrings and 10-12 cog cassettes. I'm not a big fan of triple chainrings, b/c two shift much more smoothly. Consider running a cassette w/ a wide spread and try a 1X set-up.

2 & 4. You can find good deals on tires and saddles online. If you live in an area w/ an active used bikes & parts market, I would go that route. Some shops amass a lot of bike parts from customers who upgrade and don't want the old parts. Sometimes these parts are brand new or close to it. Some shops will sell these parts are greatly reduced prices. Locally, you can check CL, FB, local bike forum, etc.

I have a lot of extra saddles. If you tell me what model or style you like, I'll see what I have. Feel free to email me direct.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the love of god, do not put a 3x chainring on the bike! Especially if you’re thinking $300 for a new group set, the shifting quality in this price point is going to leave a bit to be desired.

I switched to 1x12 last year and vow to never again have a front derailleur on my mountain bikes. The 1x12 actually has a wider range (although ever so slightly) than my old 3x9 and is just all together a much better set-up and riding experience.

I don’t know if 1x was factory standard on the mentioned bike in 2008 but I’m guessing it was upgraded by the current owner and is likely 1x10. 1x11 would be more ideal from a range standpoint but since you ride ‘easier’trails it may be a non issue. Take it out for a ride and see what you think. If you feel it’s lacking on either the low or high end you can change the chain ring to get you to a range that’ll work for you and for cheaper than a new group set.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
How many rear cogs? Ten or more no need for new chainrings. Clean and lube chain.

How about a nice pair of 1.9 inch Continental town and country tires with new tubes? $80?

A new ergo seat might be $40.

Spend time adjusting seat height and handlebar position. May need new handlebar stem to raise it and position it further away from seat. $30.

$150. Ride.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Depends how much riding you want to do.

I had an old 1998 Gary Fisher. In my younger days I rode the crap out of that bike on lots of hilly single track.

This past spring I decided I wanted to start riding again. Nothing serious like I used to do, mostly more open trails and flatter terrain. Maybe once a week as I found time instead of the gym.

The bike been sitting in a basement for year. Tires where flat. Shifters where stuck. I didn't want to invest to much into this as I wasn't going to get back into it. Took a few hours over a week or two to get it riding again. The shifter where really stuck. Had to take them apart and clean them and really tug on the cables to get them going.

Bike works fine for what I use it for now. If I was going to really start riding again I would get something newer but I just can't justify the cost for the little use it would get now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: comet24,

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
You'd be surprised how awesome a 1x8 is in a 29er. Depending on your height, a 29er may or may not make sense. I'm 6'5" and my first time on a 29er was the first time since childhood that I felt like I was on a bike that fit.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Sounds like overall the 29er is a keeper but I should be able to get it into good shape for around $150 rather than $300.

I think this is what I have (based on color): https://www.bicyclebluebook.co...detail.aspx?id=24295

The current front chain ring is singular and appropriate for some sort of electric motor that was on the bike. Originally, seems like it had 3 rings (with 8 in the back for 24 speeds).

Can I put in a 10-12 cog cassette if the original was an 8 cog? I can see how well that works if so and then add another ring up front if needed.

I'll start with tires. And fix brakes as needed. Then take it for some rides. From there, I'll decide on rear cog count (if it's possible to grow from 8 to 10-12). And then finally seat other general tune up / adjustments if I still like the bike.

Iron Chef - thanks for the seat offer. No idea what I would want -- I've never bought an aftermarket seat before. Smile But I'll start searching around, maybe get something similar to the stock seat on my 26"

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Your bike's rear axle spacing and diameter will limit some of your drivetrain options. Modern 1X set-ups are using 142mm spacing, 12mm diameter, and through-axles instead of older quick-release skewers. All this stuff if incompatible w/ your Rockhopper. That's bad if you were hoping to upgrade to the latest & greatest. That's good if you're happy w/ slightly older components that can be had inexpensively through local channels or ebay.

2X set-ups are already considered passe'. Your bike most likely has 135mm rear spacing, 10mm diameter axle, and hollow axle for QR skewer, at least if it's OEM. If the previous owner swapped out parts, then who knows?

Most 135mm wide cassette hubs can accommodate up to 11spd cassettes. Some of these cassettes have spreads as wide as 11-46 teeth. Given your situation, I think you should go w/ a 9 or 10spd conversion. You'll get a range around 11-34t. You'll need a new rear shifter, chain, cable & housing, and maybe a near rear derailleur too.

If you want to go cheaper than that, throw on an 8spd 11-32t cassette plus a medium size chainring and see how that goes. You might need to change the cranks &/or bottom bracket depending on what your friend installed for his ebike conversion.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks Iron Chef! Great info - you know more about my bike than I do. Smile

I'll take your info and visit the bike store and see what my options are. Would love to get this bike on a trail quickly and see how it does.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

Bike works fine for what I use it for now. If I was going to really start riding again I would get something newer but I just can't justify the cost for the little use it would get now.

Yep, mine is a Klein Mantra Comp of the same era. 3 front rings, etc. Does all I want, still comfy.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
yes its worth fixing. since you already have a bike you can take your time too. what shock does it have? Ask your friend if he still has the original components! or build it when you find deals online!! Is the frame in good shape. that is the deciding factor!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Sounds like 2 questions to me. Worth fixing, probably.

Worth changing from what it is, to what it is not, definitely not.

Bikes come in different sizes, so make sure it fits you before spending anything.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
yes its worth fixing. since you already have a bike you can take your time too. what shock does it have? Ask your friend if he still has the original components! or build it when you find deals online!! Is the frame in good shape. that is the deciding factor!

They are not stock. Rockshox Tora?

Rear derailer is SRAM-7? Is that good? I don't like the grip shifter; I'd want to change that some clicker version.

Frame looks good (cosmetically). No real idea how to assess the condition of the bike though. I'll pump up the tires and try to ride on the driveway to check it out today.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay -- bike shop is replacing rear disk and pads, installing some used but usable trail tires/tubes, replacing the chain (electric motor wore them out?) and doing a general tune up. $150 to get a $1000 bike minimally functional.

That should make the bike safe and usable to test out on trails. The shocks may not be good. They don't lock out although they still travel. Not sure if shocks require some general maintenance or if they just get replaced.

Once I get it on the trail and if I like it better than my 26, I'll be looking at:
1) tires (Panaracer? Maxxis? Conti?)
2) new cassette (move from 8 to 10?) and/or maybe another ring / derailer / shifter for front
3) seat
4) shocks?
5) click shifter for rear (currently grip)

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I went out on one of my usual paved routes (dedicated paved bike path) with some ups and downs (~500ft?).

Usually I use all 3 rings but I wanted to try what it would be like to just use the medium ring (not sure what it really is relative a typical 1 ring bike). Comments above piqued my curiosity if a single ring was sufficient.

You guys were right - I could do that route with the single ring (but I had to use all 8 of the cassette). The elevation was a little harder and slower but doable.

Not sure what 8 are on the cassette for the 29er (I'll check when it's back from repairs). But likely stock which I think means 11-32 teeth. So, if I can fit a 10-11 cog cassette, maybe I can get 11-34 or 11-36 (may be helpful for longer, steeper and/or sand climbs). Then, single and larger band cassette may be all I need.

I never thought about that (again, not much of a cyclist) so thanks for the suggestions. I also was browsing some bike websites and it does seem most bikes come with a single ring up front now.

Thanks again!

Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I ride most weekends, lots of hilly single track. Almost all of my fellow riders have converted to single up front. Lower weight, less maintenance. They usually out-climb me, but I'm old and fat. Smile.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post