SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The New Dr. Who
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New Dr. Who Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Been reading that a lot of Americans are having trouble understanding Jodie Whittaker's Yorkshire accent and are forced to turn on subtitles.

She's from Huddersfield, Yorkshire Big Grin

I had to do that with Capaldi, he was hard to make out sometimes too.

'I need to retrain my ears!' US viewers admit they're struggling to understand new Doctor Who actress Jodie Whittaker's Yorkshire accent - and had to turn on the subtitles

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Glad I'm not the only one that couldn't understand Capaldi. . .

My hearing stinks so our subtitles are almost always on. I didn't notice problems with her accent, but I wasn't listening too closely, either.

The mood of this episode was too 'dark and gritty' for my liking, so I had trouble staying focused.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I wish to beat the "Only idiots carry knives." horse some more.
Doubtful that anyone on set would call a single member of Her Majestie's SAS an idiot.

Just one example.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
"Only idiots carry knives."

And in the very next episode.... someones life is saved by a knife.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Only idiots carry knives."...

On their way to a gun fight.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Glad I'm not the only one that couldn't understand Capaldi. . .

Smile In actuality he toned it down quite a bit for DW. Ever seen him as Malcolm Tucker?

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:

And in this weeks episode we're informed that guns are BAD. This show has become SO far removed from the quirky sci-fi series that I loved in the 70's. I'll give it another episode, maybe two, but if they don't lay off the PC crap I think I'll have to finally give up on it.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:

And in this weeks episode we're informed that guns are BAD. This show has become SO far removed from the quirky sci-fi series that I loved in the 70's. I'll give it another episode, maybe two, but if they don't lay off the PC crap I think I'll have to finally give up on it.

Agreed. I still want to enjoy it, and the second episode had some good moments. But, as stated earlier, more of the weapons are bad tripe.
Oh, but it's OK to burn your enemies alive en masse. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I looked up the new TARDIS and opening theme:

LOVE the new theme music! Reminds me of the early Doctor Who theme, I thought Capaldi's was horrible, sounded thin and reedy like kids playing the music on kazoos. This sounds GREAT!

Not a fan of the new TARDIS look. Getting tired of this dark and organic look, I wish they'd gone with something more classic looking like an updated Tom Baker TARDIS:

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has become unwatchable. A sjw dream. Did the Doctor ever win or was winning always a stalemate or the status quo ?

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
It has become unwatchable. A sjw dream. Did the Doctor ever win or was winning always a stalemate or the status quo ?

The Doctor often won. He also has a fair amount of draws over the years.

What really got me about this episode (which felt more like the tv show 'Timeless' than DW) was that The Doctor encountered who she KNEW to be a time traveler meddling with criticalevents. So what does she do?

She WALKS AWAY.

TWICE.

In the past, The Doctor is consistently STRONGLY opposed to people meddling with time (anybody other than himself, of course; it's been one of his consistently endearingly hypocritical personality flaws, especially in the David Tennant years (Waters of Mars, for example) ). He even took away Capt Jack Harkness's vortex manipulator. So, it was extremely out of character for her to just go " I'll deal strongly with you. But only reactively. Bye."

I had to force my way through this episode, and unless they do a 180 degree course change, I'll stop caring about this show.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
How remote in time and concept when that other famous British adventurer and problem-solver used to clap his deerstalker on his head, pocket his .442 Webley and head out the door with his sidekick Watson. "The game's afoot!"

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
It has become unwatchable. A sjw dream.

This.
I turned it off halfway through the latest episode.
I'm done.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I will give it a chance but fear it's gone full SJW on us and won't be coming back.

The fact that they made the Doctor a female was the first clue about that to me.

Timeless got all SJW on us too in the last season.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
A DW watching friend of mine texted me last night:

"The UK is 87% white, but you'd never know that watching this show."

I'm still like 2 seasons behind on DW so I haven't watched yet and won't for a while until I'm all caught up.

wife and I watch a lot of UK television shows,

they are almost all that way, or at least most of the one's we watch

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I agree the new theme music is great.

Tom Baker, William Hartnell, some Pertwee & Troughton.

After that I can take or leave the rest.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Dr Who is dead to me after the new regeneration.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I love Jodie Whittaker... no, make that LOVE Jodie Whittaker, so will watch what I can of the show.

She is my “locked phone” screen photo, so I will view her any way I can!

[flame suit on]

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Tonight it was spiders, in a mega hotel, built on an abandoned mine that the developer had filled with toxic waste.
The villain? A white, middle aged male.
The doctor is about being “nice” to the spiders.

The Dr. Who series went into hiatus when Colin Baker took over as the doctor. His first line was “Me, me, me, why is it always me!” Baker’s Doctor was an arrogant, flamboyant character whose brash, often patronising personality,set him apart from all the other doctors. Needless to say the fan base disliked him. The series ended with the 7th doctor who wasn’t much of an improvement.

Sadly, I see the end of the series in sight.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I love Jodie Whittaker... no, make that LOVE Jodie Whittaker, so will watch what I can of the show.

She is my “locked phone” screen photo, so I will view her any way I can!

[flame suit on]

she is easy on the eyes,

liked her in Broadchurch

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post